Phonak Audeo Q90

If the buttons are set to program change and QuickSync is on, then pushing either button changes programs in both aids. If QuickSync is off, then only the side you pushed is changed.

If the buttons are set to volume control, then the right button is louder and the left button is softer.

If the buttons are set to program change + volume, then the right button is louder and the left button is program change (or you can choose right button is program change and left button is softer).

For each program that has the tinnitus feature enabled, the volume control can be set to adjust either the gain or the noise, but not both.

If the buttons are set to program change + volume, then the right button is louder and the left button is program change (or you can choose right button is program change and left button is softer).

Rasmus, am I correct that one program in the Q90’s is the program that automatically switches among various programs based on what the HA perceives as the environment? If so, it seems like I could ask my audi to program the left button so that the default program upon boot-up is the automatically-switching program (Is it called Soundflow?), and then I could use the left button if I wanted to tell the HA to stay in a certain fixed program (without automatic switching). The only functionality I would lose is the ability to decrease the volume below the default level set by the audi using the HA buttons. Is that correct?

Yes, the Automatic program is how SoundFlow is implemented, and it’s the default startup program when you power up. The buttons are already set up to change programs by default. You can have additional programs added to your manual program slots and switch between them using the buttons.

I have learned quite a few things from these pages and in particular from this thread. I want to share my own experience with Phonak Audeo Q90 which is overall good, but I also have some outstanding issues that I hope someone has advise about.

I have had these HA for about 4 months. And overall the experience has been good. They are my first HA so I have nothing to compare with. For any new users reading this I will say it gets better the longer you have your aids, they become part of you in a good way, but don’t be put off if that takes a little bit of time. I have had 3 adjustments after initially getting my HA and I am thinking about going back for some fine-tuning. I deliberately have waited a while, because I wanted to be sure that my issues were real and not just a matter of “getting used to”. I know about myself that I can get a little obsessive about perfection and that sometimes creates more problems than it solves.

On of the “issues” that I have is when the automatic programming kicks in in noisy environment I get a very stuffed up feeling. I read somewhere is the thread that it is what it is supposed to do and that I most likely should get good speech understanding if someone spoke to me in one of those circumstances, I guess that makes sense, but I was wondering if it is something that I could get adjusted so that my aids don’t turn down the volume quite as much or quite as soon?
I have am a bit surprised by how many situations my aids classify as noisy, but then again I have not been hearing well for a while, so who am I to judge that?

Another issue is my own voice. I have a job that requires me to speak in front of groups on a regular basis and when I do that I naturally speak a little louder than I do in one on one conversation. And that is when my voice seems distorted. Slightly metallic and vibrating a little bit and it kind of sound as if I have something in my throat and need to clear my voice. I may have found the problem, but not sure if that can really be the reason. My HA are RITE and I find that when I pull my left receiver out a bit (from how it naturally fits) the voice issue seems to diminish. I am thinking that the wire is a bit too long and that the receiver is too close to my ear drum, but we are probably talking about millimeters here, so I do not know if I can get a wire that is just a tiny bit shorter for that ear?

This might be the auto StereoZoom program. It should only activate when there’s speech in loud noise. You can have the activation level adjusted so the program doesn’t start unless the noise level is very loud. It’s also possible to turn off the program entirely.

This is the occlusion effect. You can have the gain for high intensity sounds turned down in the low frequencies, or simply use the Occlusion compensation feature in the software.

Thanks!
I didn’t think I could experience occlusion effect with a RITE and semi open dome?

Why are you using semi open domes? With your level of loss in the low frequencies, you should have fully open domes.

On my Q90’s I have had a lot of trouble in situations where multiple people are speaking to me and among themselves in a noisy restaurant. I think what may be happening is the HA’s are going into AutoStereoZoom mode, and focusing on the speaker directly in front of me. Meanwhile the HA’s are muting the voices of speakers off to the side of me which has the effect of diminishing rather then enhancing my ability to hear these off-to-the-sides speakers. Is there a way to adjust the amount of suppression of the sounds to the sides of me in AutoStereoZoom?
Also, I have heard that there is a feature called AutoZoomControl, which I believe is separate from AutoStereoZoom. AutoZoomControl picks out the loudest voice anywhere around me and and attempts to isolate that voice by suppressing sounds other than that dominant voice, right? Are AutoZoomControl and AutoStereoZoom separate programs, or are they features that can be added to or subtracted from a program?
I guess what I am getting at is: What suggestions can I give my audi to help the HA’s focus in on the speaker directly in front of me but still allow me to follow a rapid-fire, multi-speaker conversation in a noisy bar/restaurant? Thanks.

There is no way to widen or narrow the scope of auto StereoZoom. It’s a laser-beam like focus. I think you would be happier if it was turned off in your Automatic program. Once it’s gone, you’ll just have the normal speech in noise program with directional microphone. This will cover a broad area in front of you while suppressing noises from your side and behind you. Auto ZoomControl is a manual program that you have to activate. It’s only useful if you can’t face the person you want to hear, such as when you’re driving a car. You can have StereoZoom added as a manual program too.

Thank you very much, Rasmus, for your many helpful responses and posts.

Are the Q90s water resistant? Phonak’s website is not clear about this.

Phonak says they are, but they don’t provide an ingress protection (IP) rating, so there’s no way to know the degree of resistance. If this is important to you, consider the Naida Q RIC instead. It’s a larger case than the Audeo because it uses a size 13 battery, but it’s IP67 which is highly water resistant. Can be immersed up to 1 m.

According to this chart it seems like they are. http://www.phonak.com/com/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/features/performance-table.html

I agree with what Rasmus said about the Naida Q RIC. I have been extremely happy with my Naida RIC’s!! No fear of water or sweat damage. Previous HA’s had to live in desiccant containers due to collecting moisture. Despite that there were always circuit failures due to moisture.

My audiologist changed them on my second visit, I think, because I complained about having a terrible time hearing deep (soft) voices after I got the HA’s, which I didn’t really have before I got my HA’s

… and it helped!

I have had my Phonak Audeo Q90’s since about July now and although I like them much better than what I had before, I feel they could be better. There are just certain situations where I’m sure I’m not hearing as well as I should and I think a fine tuning of the aids would help things a great deal. The problem is that I’m unable to tell my VA audiologist exactly what the problem is because it’s something I just can’t put my finger on. Some of it is speech in noise but not always. There are times when in a quiet room there are certain voices that I just don’t hear well. I am thinking that the best thing would be for me to have Real Ear Measurement testing done so the audiologist would have something definite to go on rather than having to guess. I’ve checked with the VA at my location and I’ve been told that the Real Ear testing equipment is on order and they should have it in a couple of months. They have told me to check back later and schedule an appointment after the equipment is in. I plan to do that. The big problem is that the last time I scheduled an appointment for a fine tuning it took almost two months before they had an opening even though I was willing to accept the first available no matter when it was and come in on short notice in the event of a cancellation. I was reluctant to have her change too much knowing that she would just have to “guess” as to what the problem might be and if it ended up being worse than when I went in, I would have to live with it for two months before they could get me in there again. I’m thinking of just going to an outside audiologist that does real ear measurements and paying to have it done.

Is the “Real Ear Measurement” test different from a standard hearing test done by an audiologist where you sit in a sound booth with head phones and listen for sounds and repeating words?
John

Yes, it is different. I have never had a Real Ear Measurement done but from what I understand the test is done with sensors in place in the ear canal between the hearing aids and the eardrums to actually measure what is happening in the ear canal with the hearing aids in place. Maybe an audiologist here can elaborate.

My audi assured me the Q90s are water resistant.

Clarification: IP67 devices can be submerged up to 1m for 60 minutes without disruption of the normal functioning of the hearing aid once the device has been dried and the battery changed. You shouldn’t really go swimming with them though.

Naida Q RIC / SP & UP, Sky RIC / SP / UP and M13 and Bolero Q90/70/50/30-M13’s all have IP67 ratings. All other current (Quest platform) BTE and RIC models have IP57 ratings (i.e. they’re less resistant to moisture).

do any of the other VA clinics or centers around you have the equip? I they are saying two months make an appointment now… I’m sure you can use it one way or the other… don’t cost nothing.