Phonak Audeo P90-R Programming

You definitly still can take your phone call, it uses the HA mics therefore.
It’s best to find out yourself what setting you prefer for the streaming.

Ok, so two questions;

1. What does Program Transition Speed actually do? I have fiddled with it but it doesn’t seem to make much difference.
  2. I have been playing with WhistleBlock, NoiseBlock, SoundRelax and I like some of the effects. But what is the downside of using these? Using say WhistleBlock on High does that mean I am missing out on something?

Thanks in advance.

1. Transition Speed: This is the speed in autosense to switch between different programs. F.e. from Calm Situation -> Speech in loud noise. Slow is more smooth and less recognizable.
  2. I’m asking that myself, but it sure depends on the option. I think there is a downside with Wistleblock, since reducing feedback comes usually with a gain reduction in certain frequencies.

Ok so I am getting better at this I think. Starting to get a much better experience. However one piece that I find painful in the streaming is that some apps on my iPhone trigger my Aids to go to the streaming program and others don’t. So for example whenever I go to Pinterest my aids go into streaming mode even though I have sound turned off fir Pinterest. So I can be talking to my wife hearing her through quite in calm but when I try to show her something in Pinterest my aids turn to streaming mode and I struggle with continuing the conversation.

1 Like

I also have this problem with my Android device. Whenever any sound is emitted, the hearing aid switches to the streaming program.
I think this cannot be prevented. The HA cannot distinguish between desired sound and unwanted sound.
If at all, the problem can only be solved in the individual settings for the programs in the phone itself.
The only exception is the TV adaptor. To avoid that streaming is activated in the HA just because you step back into the area where a signal is received, there is an option: The HA then emits a sound, you then have 15s time to activate streaming with a double-tab.

I thought about your question regarding the downside that can arise from the different options. I think we can assume that there is always a downside, otherwise the manufacturer would activate it fully from the beginning. I first try to understand from the technical side what the option does. Then I adjust only one option at a time. At the beginning all the way to the maximum. Sometimes I also do a separate manual program. Then I can compare the general influence by switching between the programs. When I think I have understood it more or less, I set the option to the absolute necessary. As little change as possible to keep the disadvantages as small as possible. Less is probably always better.

Hi Nick –

To help the bass response in streaming go into the streaming section of the Fit fine tuning… select all streaming (both voice and music) and select the low freq region below 1000Hz and lower and increase the low freq levels upward by 10dB or so (or higher even maybe)-- if the level starts to hit the MPO line you can push up the MPO line a bit as well if your receivers will allow it… Definitely use at least M size receivers, not S size. // if you get the level too high in the low bass region you may star to hear a vibration in strong bass music or voice – simply go back in an decrease the levels at the lowest end of the range just a bit to fix that…

I have my bass streaming sounding pretty good – not as good as a nice bose earplug, but plenty usable!

I haven’t messed w/ any wind-noise settings – haven’t had that issue. // but you might be able to play with the wind noise suppression settings as well and help that… (not sure how those actually work or how they’d change the sound) — as also mentioned you could change the external ambient sound level down during streaming all the way to zero gain if you wish to alleviate wind noise.

Whistle block apparently works by freq shifting the sound in the region near the feedback limits (or somewhere in the freq band - not sure how it chooses that) – I read somewhere that it shifts the freq by something like 10Hz or so to prevent the incoming and outgoing tones being at the same freq (a neat trick, but causing some intermixing possibly at high settings) – and with Music settings it’s typically off because of this (apparently creates some odd sounds to purists listening to music when turned way up)

1 Like

NoiseBlock seems to affect non-vocal continuous sort of sounds – if turned up the HAs will tend to suppress rumbles and other low and mid freq non-vocal noise – you can hear it when it engages … turn it way up then go into a noisy env…

SoundRelax seems to affect impulse type noise – it attenuates the initial attack edges of sounds it seems… (or something similar) softening loud low and mid freq impulse noises… interesting to play with that one too …

both of these can result in some odd undesirable effects IMO - so I leave em at the default settings for the most part… I think I do crank up the NoiseBlock in SpeechInCar mode for mine…

SoftNoiseReduction is one I like – especially if you’re in a quiet area and you hear any slight hiss from the HAs – just a slight tweak of that kills the hiss… I put that one on a ‘2’ for all but the loud noise setting…

regarding transitions to streaming – make sure the ‘Hearing aid Microphone’ settings aren’t turned down too much – I use about -6dB, and that works well for me, but bringing it up to -3dB should allow you hear people even when streaming just fine – the HAs superimpose normal external sound operation (with the attenuation you set - and with the normal HA modes active) right on top of streaming sound operation and you can hear external sounds just as well as when not streaming… (pretty much anyway) – But of course if you don’t attenuate the HA mics then you do then hear those external sounds normally when streaming too! …that’s the tradeoff… play with it…

2 Likes

So I have a pretty good outcome now with music when on my bike. Although I did have to mute the mics. I know not perfect but luckily I am on bike paths all the time so no traffic other than cars. However I have a small annoyance in that Bluetooth seems to drop out every now and again - just for a second. It doesn’t happen when stationary only when peddling. I thought it might be something to do with notifications on my phone but even with DND and most turned off it still happens. Not like it can be distance as the phone is only 50cm from my Aids. Anyone else get this problem.

Also questions around auto programs.

1. In a given circumstance can I force the aids to use a specific program?
  2. What program would it use when outside walking?
  3. I see I can set up and use specific programs on the mobile app but after a while it seems to revert back to auto - can I stop that?

Phonak were to release an update to the App that helped stop this issue but they redrawn that idea and are no longer releasing that feature.

I have the same problem with my Iphone 13. Any fixes?

I’m so glad I found your post! Thank you so much.

I have trouble with word recognition in quiet environments. We’re still setting up my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s.

DaveL
Toronto

Thanks for your post. I’ve used my Audeo Paradise P90R’s for about a year; I’m scheduled for annual follow up very soon. I’m having trouble with voice/word recognition. My audiologist is very helpful. Yet I need to have improvement.
Your post helps. I’ll ask what fitting formula he has used.

DaveL
Toronto

After one year–follow up–hearing test; P90R’s set up again.

Working much better now.

DaveL