Phonak Audeo? One or two?

I am 47 and have never had an HA before, but have needed one for quite a while. I have mild HF hearing loss in my right ear and much greater loss across all frequencies in my left ear due to ear infections and tubes when I was younger (scarred eardrum).

I chose (just ordered) to get a Phonak Audeo V for my left ear and have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have this model and are you happy with it?

2. Has anyone heard the difference between the V and the IX and can tell the difference?

3. With my situation of much more loss in one ear than in the other, is one HA sufficient?

I have fit many Audeos both Vs and IXs. The difference between the two is mostly in the noise reduction and how adaptive the aids are to varying environments. I am usually happier recommending the V’s because it’s a little more “bang for the buck.” Yet, I have patients who love both.

If your right ear is not a candidate for a hearing aid, you are doing yourself no harm in just getting one. I use the threshold at 2000Hz as a primary guideline. If that threshold is 30 dB or better, then you probably won’t benefit dramatically, 35 or worse, and most of my patients see significant improvement.

Again, I have patients who absolutely love these aids. Certainly, I’ve fit a few that didn’t love them, but such is the case with many things in life.

The best testimonial I can give is one day I had a patient call me one day into his trial period with a pair of Audeo Vs. He said “These hearing aids are #3 on my list.” I said “What does #3 mean?” worried that he didn’t like them. He said, “#1 is fishing, #2 is sex, and #3 is these hearing aids. I wouldn’t take anything for them.”

I tried to talk Phonak into using that in some of their marketing, but for some reason they balked at that idea.

generally, phonak is a good brand. that said, those are good aids- generally most manufactures have good open fit products…

What I do like about phonak, is that the batery is 312 (last longer) and that it has a remote control and a T coil… Regarding, which model, I suspect it is a software modification. Meaning, hardware wise they are all the same instrument but phonak does allow certain features if you are willing to pay more… For example the Oticon delta, the 4000, 6000 and 8000 are the same instrument so in the bulk park they do work or sound very similar…

Regarding 1 or 2 aids, it is important to use 2 aids, as it is important to use
2 eyes if they are in need for prescription. By using 2 ears, your speech understanding specially in noise will improve considerable…
In addition, in order to localize sounds both ears need to be amplified…

I would strongly sugest to get 2, even if they are not the best of the best…

Over the years, I most clients get the mid price instrument, they are
more satisfied…

Thanks docg, that is very helpful.

I have a graph of my hearing with 7 points for each ear. I assume this is standard. Here are my reading for reference:

Right

Freq dB

250 10
500 10
1K 5
2K 10
3K 15
4K 45
8K 60

Left

Freq dB

250 30
500 25
1K 25
2K 40
3K 55
4K 70
8K 85

I assume this is the loudness necessary for me to hear the tone and when you say 30 db or better, you mean <= 30 db.

I would say that a #3 rating is pretty good. :slight_smile:

left ear needs a hearing aid for sure…

I would wait a bit to use a HA in the right ear…

Thanks xbulder. After trying one for a while (and recovering from wallet shock), I may go to two if I still have difficulty in noisy environments.

I’m also wondering if a remote is really necessary - i.e. how good is the HA at detecting a given environment, detecting speech, and adjusting volume after proper fitting. I’m sure that there is always some benefit to manual control, but is it worth the $.

Davew-

You definitely should wait on the right ear.

I usually don’t recommend remotes. I’ve found they are often more trouble than help. Not to say that some don’t like them, but they are certainly not necessary for success.

Thanks docg and xbulder. You guys provide great advice. I’ll stop back by for an update when I get the HA.

docg

I know you said that you don’t recommend a remote, but does this include products that have no manual controls? It appears that the Phonak V doesn’t have any type of program selection or volume control on the HA. Is this true?

I’m going to try it for a while without a remote and maybe it will be fine. I’m an electrical engineer by education and I do hardware-level software for cell phones for a living, so I like to have more control over devices like this.

Also, it would be great to be able to tweak the HA parameters myself, but it appears that this is not possible for my HA or most HA’s in general unless you buy the (I belive it is) America Hears HA’s.

While I’m in question mode, what cleaning products do you guys recommend?

by far
dry and store - global

A poor fitted instrument can cause more harm than good. There is more than just conect the aid to the PC and just program it…

A good impresion, is key to a good CIC fitting, I dont see how someone would be able to do it with out any training…

If someone gets harm who would be liable?

EGGER LABS HAVE GOOD CLEANING PRODUCTS…
i LIKE THE CEDIS

Thanks for the tip xbulder. Any thoughts on the remote?

Davew-

That’s correct. I rarely recommend remotes for hearing aids, even with no manual controls. Not that the hearing aid will always adjust perfectly to your environment, but for MOST patients, I’ve found the less they have to fiddle with the things the better. The Audeos have two forms of automatic adjustment. The first is a low-threshold compression (aka WDRC). This varies the gain depending on how loud the input is. Thus, more gain for soft sounds, less for loud. Secondly, the hearing aids change programs depending on the acoustic “scene.” For MOST people, there is no need for additional adjustment. However, I have had some patients that very much prefer to adjust things themselves and for them a remote, etc. is a good idea.

I recommend starting without one and then adding it later if you see the need. I practice the K.I.S.S. philosophy!

I second the Global dry & store.

Once again, thanks for the great input.