Phonak Audeo M90-R Marvel Rechargeable - experience?

I’ve been using Siemens Aquarius since 2013 and they have finally come to where they can no longer be serviced. As they had just been serviced when they stopped working again, they replaced them with Siemens/Signia Motion SA. They seem to be ok, but I’ve been looking to upgrade.

The audiologist recommended the Phonak Audeo M90-R. Does anyone have experience with these?

I’ve had a cookie bite loss since the age of 31.

Thanks!

A full charge will last at least 40 hours. I use them for 12-15 hours per day and have been out of city for 3 days without charger. I don’t know how much they will keep charge, at least 40 hours per full charge.

Big caveats here Melvyn, depending upon:

1. The amount of streaming done.
  2. The level of the loss and the amount of gain in whichever pitch.
  3. The receiver type used.
  4. The degree to which the receiver is vented/occluded.
  5. The residual canal volume and eardrum compliance.
  6. The level of implementation of the feedback control.
3 Likes

Thank you @Um_bongo this make a lot of sense.

I’ve tested a lot of HA and with most of them the left one discharge first, which I find weird, because my left side is the good one, while my right side is the worst. Usually the left one use a vented dome. Currently, with the Marvels are closed dome, double in the right.

Your info opened my eyes.

Thank you!

1 Like

TBVH, I found the M90-R a bit of a pain so I switched to the M90-13s as the rechargeable played on my mind a little that occasionally I might have no access to a charging point whilst up some Scottish mountain fishing :fishing_pole_and_fish: I am aware you can take portable battery charging units, but I prefer to travel light in the hills. Not to mention that the M90-R twice cut out on me and would not restart, nothing whatsoever to do with the lack of charge, they just wouldn’t restart until I got them home and the charger rebooted them! No doubt some bug in the system… as for length of time to the next charge, mine were fairly depleted after 14 hours, as “They” were new, phoning on my mobile was a novelty and prior to this my iPhone X was just a glorified texting unit, mainly because it was so difficult for me to hear on my mobile! Nowadays I hear really well on my iPhone, in fact I would say I hear better than before my loss nearly 30 years ago, I can actually hear folks talking in the background, I sometimes hear exactly what they are saying, tis quite amazing! I also have the TV streaming unit, which is also excellent… given my severe/profound threshold then rechargeable were not practical for me… I just wish Phonak would make a much bigger and more powerful HA’s in the 675 category in the Audeo range! The Phonak Audeo M90’s are in my opinion an awesome hearing aid… not perfect by any means, but probably as near as we can get at the moment! Cheers Kev:-)

1 Like

I’ve had my M90-r’s since December and love them, however these are my first aids; you can see my loss in my audio gram. I stream calls about 4~6 hours a day with a total of 16 hours use a day. Most nights mine are at 25~35% when I place them in the charger at night. One side will always be lower in battery life due to the way the Bluetooth connection works; one side is deemed the master BT connection to phone, and streams to the other. The default phonak setup is right-side is the master.

1 Like

I have worn hearing aids since the age of 4 - so over 35 years of experience. I recently upgraded from B90’s to M90’s and I LOVE them.

The only thing I find crap is using them for making or receiving phone calls, so I dont bother and just hold my phone to my ear.

This suits me as when phone call to HA’s does work and you are in public people think you are mad if you are just stood talking to yourself.

Sound quality is great, the streamer is great for the TV @ home. Streaming music from my phone in the office is great !

1 Like

Kate and I both got our Marvel M90-R’s 6 months ago. Audio quality is superb. They are also fabulous for both listening to and streaming music. Streaming music rivals my high quality headphones. I stream high quality lossless music a lot from my Android Primephonic subscription. I easily get 16 hours of battery life from a charge. When I charge my Android Pixel 3 phone overnight, I also charge my Marvels, so it isn’t a big deal using rechargeable batteries. We prefer not having to fuss with disposable batteries. Kate and I would both do our Marvel M90-R’s again in a hearbeat!

2 Likes

Thanks so much everyone for your replies.

It’s just such a huge amount of money to spend so I am pushing the use of my current ones as long as I can.

With the bluetooth streaming - how do you listen to music without blocking other sound? If the sound is coming through the hearing aids, don’t you still hear everything else around you as well? I listen to music/podcasts with noise cancelling earphones or earbuds so I am trying to imagine how you get around all the other noise interference if it’s just sound through the hearing aids.

When using my Marvel 90 rechargeables on streaming I use the phonak mobile app to adjust the balance between the streaming source and the ambient sounds around me. I can adjust that so that I get as little as 10% of the screaming sound and 90% of ambient to as high as 90% streaming sound and only 10% ambient sound. The system works beautifully In default mode you get about 60% streaming sound and 40% ambient sound. I totally love my m90 R aids.

3 Likes

^^^ What w.macneill said!

Only change “screaming sound” to “streaming sound”. :rofl:

Balance between streaming content and mics can also be adjusted on the left hearing aid. Pressing the front button increases the streamed level and decreases the mics (5 steps from default); pressing the rear button decreases the streaming volume and increases the mics (5 steps from default).

1 Like

Seems everyone on HT says Phonak recharge last 24 hours max. You still sticking with your 40 hour fly in the sky story?

I saw my error :sob: but figured you clever folks would figure it out!

I stick with my 40 hours flight @youbgone bgone I’m pretty sure they won’t last that mark if I do 4-6 hours streaming like other users. I don’t do more than 5-10 minutes of streaming per day, most of them phone calls. I’m in quiet environment most of the time. I find impressive those 4-6 hours of streaming from @daali with so much streaming. I don’t expect 20 hours with mine if doing so much streaming.

As @Um_bongo detailed you must take in account the usage pattern, level of hearing loss, type of dome (vented/unvented), type of receiver. I guess some people with profound hearing loss using UP receiver will get less uptime than somebody using S receiver.

Battery life will depend on streaming, environmental noise, and level of hearing loss (more amplification requires more power). My M-90Rs usually last 16+ hours with 10%-20% battery to spare (even with an hour or two of streaming) but if I am in a very noisy environment for many hours (e.g. at a trade show) they sometimes run out after 10-12 hours. This surprised me but it’s happened multiple times since I bought them a few months ago.

The good news is that they charge very quickly; on those rare occasions when they run out, 15 minutes of charging gives me the juice to last for the rest of the night. Note that you can buy a small battery pack that clips to the bottom of the charger, in case you are away from a power source.

One tip: if you have one ear that has more hearing loss than the other, have your audiologist ensure the bluetooth is hosted on your good side; lower amplification translates into lower battery use, so it makes sense to relegate bluetooth drain to that side. I was able to get much more balanced battery life by switching the bluetooth connection to my good side.

3 Likes

That’s the narrow directionality kicking in. You could theoretically move into some manual program, if you were in this situation and didn’t need the narrow beam for improved SNR, and avoid this battery drain.

Thanks Neville! That makes sense. I think the days that the battery died early I did indeed have it set to “Speech in Loud Noise” for long hours, and I had the volume cranked up.

I’m REALLY looking forward to the Roger select compatibility with these! Hopefully November?

–rex

As am I. I was pleased when the select came out. It showed nice responsiveness from Phonak after people kept trying to use all of their previous roger devices in restaurants and failing. It still has quirks (clear table of all centrepieces…), but phonak is trying and I appreciate that. I am still hearing October/November as launch date. Seems like there will be a sort of code-to-unlock the marvel functionality. I am lucky that where I am the government will supplement the cost of the device–it might still be prohibitive elsewhere. I don’t know how long our government will do that if FM usefulness and functionality is expanding and more people are accessing the funding. I wouldn’t be surprised if they all of a sudden said, “Wait, wait, pediatrics and severe-profound losses only”.

i had a trial roger select with a trial pair of boleros, and it was a game-changer for me.

while waiting for the roger select compatibility with my M90s, i’ve been using one of my HA’s as a remote mic. I take it out of my bad ear and hold it up to the speaker, and it sends their voice to my good ear.