Phonak Audeo Direct B - NOW WORKING w. Bluetooth/Phone

Bought HA 5/2/17 to replace 7 y.o. Phonaks that were still working well.  Wanted the BT feature.  I have worn a over the ear BT headset for 10+ years.
Week later, 5/9, was about ready to turn them back in.  I could hear incoming/outgoing calls well - person on other end had unusable sound.
I had called her earlier in week to say that BT didn't work.  When I got to her office she said she wasn't too hopeful - mfr. indicated there were problems and would be working on s/w updates over next few months.  She did have one update to load.  We tried a test call in her office.  Didn't work.  I said I'd keep them anyway til end of trial period.
A few days later, decided to test again.  They worked!  I would tell many people at the end of a call "I am testing a new phone and want to know how the quality was."   Virtually everyone said it was very good.   
I have now worn/used the BT ability for 2 weeks.  You do have to keep the phone within a few feet.  I carry mine in shirt pocked almost all the time, anyway.  Normally, BT works up to 30 feet.   
I did have to uninstall/reinstall the Phonak app on my LG G6 using ver. 7.0 to get the app to work properly.

Maybe edit your post and remove a bunch of spaces you might have typed in at the beginning to make it easier to read.
If one types in exactly 4 spaces at the beginning of typing anything then that weird scrolling thing happens. Remove the spaces and the text will look normal.

Bought HA 5/2/17 to replace 7 y.o. Phonaks that were still working well. Wanted the BT feature. I have worn a over the ear BT headset for 10+ years.
Week later, 5/9, was about ready to turn them back in. I could hear incoming/outgoing calls well - person on other end had unusable sound.
I had called her earlier in week to say that BT didn’t work. When I got to her office she said she wasn’t too hopeful - mfr. indicated there were problems and would be working on s/w updates over next few months. She did have one update to load. We tried a test call in her office. Didn’t work. I said I’d keep them anyway til end of trial period.
A few days later, decided to test again. They worked! I would tell many people at the end of a call “I am testing a new phone and want to know how the quality was.” Virtually everyone said it was very good.
I have now worn/used the BT ability for 2 weeks. You do have to keep the phone within a few feet. I carry mine in shirt pocked almost all the time, anyway. Normally, BT works up to 30 feet.
I did have to uninstall/reinstall the Phonak app on my LG G6 using ver. 7.0 to get the app to work properly.

I think it displays ok now.
I am in habit of indenting first line on new paragraph. I am on 5-10 users forums in course of a week. A couple more than once a day. This site has useful info, but is not user friendly.
Apparently, few users seem to use (or want) the BT feature. I had a helleva time finding reviews anywhere on the 'net. A few comments mentioned they were against the fact the phone voice would only play in one ear. “Regular” phones only play sound in one ear!

It's still there. You just need to remove the first 4 spaces in your post. If you wish.

I understand about habits. I participate in several forums as well and they all have their own idiosyncrasies.
I think it’s great that you’ve shared your experiences here. Thanks. There are a couple few people here that seem to enjoy them. I am delighted with Phonak for getting things rolling for non-Apple folks. We’ll see how well Android makers make use of BT5 and whether HA makers go along. I wonder if they quite like selling their fancy intermediate devices though. The Phonak isn’t quite there yet for my liking. Still looking for stereo streaming from any BT5 device (including phone).
I agree about phone in one ear but then others like maximizing the hearing capability by hearing the call in both ears. Whatever it takes. The point is to hear.

Miket, your initial post still appears “scrolled” to me - but perhaps we’ve moved on to the latest posts …

Just adding my 2-cents’ worth, being a largely HAPPY CAMPER with my Phonak Audeo B-Direct aids. Yes, they only stream to ONE ear - but as you’ve noted, that’s how most folks hear on the phone anyway! Let’s just hope my LEFT ear gets a good workout, cuz that’s the ear I chose for streaming phone calls.

And of course the good news is that ALL other streaming with the TV streamer unit (which hooks up to laptop or TV) streams really great to BOTH ears! What’s not to like? :wink:

Altho I know I’d rather stream phone calls in stereo, if that required having a necklace and wearing it 24x7, that’s simply NO solution for me anymore. What’s great about the Audeo B-Direct is that I NEVER miss a phone call anymore! It is simply not possible. My phone may be in another room, on another floor, buried in my purse, not anywhere in site, and if a call comes in, my aids JINGLE, and I answer with a quick press to the button on either aid. VOILA!

I am really spoiled with that single-ear, device-free, hands-free streaming with my phone. Maybe you don’t see a lot of posts about this model of aid streaming via BT to phones cuz it’s simply not an issue - like ever? I just upgraded to a Samsung S9 Android phone, and it took 2 min to set it up to stream with these aids - VERY HAPPY!

Phonak have made some sacrifices in order to allow regular Bluetooth streaming with a standard battery. Apart from that they use the microphone on one aid to pick up your voice so you cannot mute the microphones for streaming phone calls, This and the lack of streaming calls to both ears are a disadvantage when it comes to hearing calls.

The use of standard Bluetooth also means none of the cool features of MFi aids are available like geotagging or find my hearing aids features. I wish Phonak would implement a made for iPhone solution so those of us who want it can do so without having to sacrifice our hearing aids preferences. I will not be buying Phonak aids again unless they are MFi.

I know that this is an old post, but you may be able to answer a couple of questions I have about your audeo direct aids. I have Seimens aids, an easytek streamer, and FM transmitter which connects tv to easytek.

I have no problem with phone going to one ear. In fact, I found binaural phone calls to be restrictive with respect to other things happening in the room. Bluetooth streaming from the tv is unacceptable because of the latency issue. No latency issue with FM transmitter.

My questions are, (1) do you stream directly from your tv, and if yes, is there a latency issue? (2) When your phone rings, do you hear the phone ring tone rather than a phonak generated tone?

I’ve worn aids since age 40, and after 29 years I’ve pretty much decided what I really would like from my aids. I’m a musician, so I want high quality sound while singing and/or playing the piano… I want to use the phone hands free without a streamer. I want to stream from my tv without latency problems so that my wife can adjust volume for her comfort. I have an Android phone and will not change it. My Seimens aids have worked well for me, but I would like to lose the streamer.

^^^ Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I hadn’t logged in for a few days.

As for your questions:
1.) Streaming from the TV, I’m not aware of a latency issue - which is a GOOD thing, cuz somehow, I’m connected to our Samsung big screen TV, but my husband hears the audio through a Sony speaker that’s connected to the TV. So that part works really well, as I’m able to stream the audio to both ears AND adjust the volume level a few steps up through my aids.
2.) When my Samsung S9 cell phone rings, BOTH the phone and my aids jingle - with different tones, o’course, cuz they are actually BOTH ringing at the same time. I can answer using my phone OR just a press on my aids (which always makes me GIGGLE with glee!) I actually got spoiled with my Oticon Alta Pro aids streaming phone calls to BOTH ears. Even with one aid set up for the phone with my Phonaks, it’s not like your other ear is wide open to ambient noise. It is dampened down, so it’s almost like wasting that ear with no audio streaming into it.

NO necklace or clip-on streaming device is needed with these Audeo B-Direct aids, which is also great. I think the Phonak Marvel aids are also device-free, and would have the added benefit of streaming the phone to BOTH ears.

I think you’ll find that Phonak is super compatible with Android devices, altho I do not have any apps loaded on my phone to control the aids. Prefer to live off the grid, if you will.

Thank you! I appreciate your response. The fact that I have a galaxy S8, a spouse without hearing aids, and a samsung tv makes your insight very valuable to me. Your mention of the partially muted aid during a phone call concerns me a bit. I suspect that the degree of damping is adjustable. I hope so, otherwise I might as well hold out for the marvel when the VA adds it to their list. I really do not want the phone in both ears, and I prefer batteries over rechargeable.

Here are a couple more things I discovered. If you have a Samsung TV, according to phonak, you have to set audio delay to 100ms. This, I found fixes the latency problem if you are streaming a show from the internet. If you are using an Xfinity DVR, though, I found another necessary check. Either my tv or Xfinity (can’t remember which) gives an option for “optimized sound”. Do not choose that unless you want a horrible latency problem. Choose “standard”.

The latency that I am referring to is the delay between tv speaker output and bluetooth streamer output.