Phonak app update / Autosense

You need 3 different Bluetooth’s in your phone. One for streaming music and phone calls and two for the App.

R - Phonak Hearing Aid

And two that start with LE, one for R and one for L.

What do the volume buttons on your HAs do when you’re streaming? Mine adjust the streaming to mic ratio. I’d much rather have them adjust the overall volume, if that’s possible.

Thanks for the hint. I tried re pairing my Marvels and the LE bluetooth (blueteeth?) doesn’t come up. Tried connecting in the myPhonak ap and it fails. I’ll try with my Audi next time I go in.

Amazing. I tried the buttons and they do indeed change the streaming to ambient sound levels. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

I love the auto sense 4 on the paradise. Almost to the point of not having custom programs. But I also don’t use the app much

Ask your audi. He can change it for you: Mics off for streaming. Then the volume for the streaming source only will be adjusted with the buttons.

1 Like

I’m glad it works for you. I find it clumsy and very primitive.I can hear every time it changes program, leaving me dumbfounded as to why my environment has suddenly changed so drastically. It’s artificial.

Is Autosense the only program that adjusts? I feel like the others do, at least to some extent, except Music. The wind-blocking seems to happen in TV and Restaurant.

Are you using these outside as wind isn’t inside?

You’d hope, but some wind inevitably breaks. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

No, but my bathroom faucet sound changes very noticably after about 2 seconds of running. I assume that’s the wind-blocking.

I wouldn’t hear an atom bomb if it dropped in my back yard so I doubt I’m going to hear any clicking. But I have a new pair of paradise up on order so I’ll listen for it

That noise reduction or impulse noise management. Not sure of the proper Phonak terms.

I haven’t found the need to touch the volume yet for any reason. But I do know that if I needed to change the volume while steaming I can either use the volume control on the side of my phone or the volume control on the app. Again I was trialing the aids so my main concerns was hearing using auto sense in different situations. I think the only time I used the button in the aid was to cut off streaming and go back to autosense. So I’m still learning. Which is why I said when I get the new aids I’ll try harder to see if I can notice autosense clicking when it changes programs. I may have been overwhelmed by how much I was hearing with the trial aids. I mean normally there’s a lot of blank stares on my face or answers coming out of my mouth that are totally unrelated to the questions being asked

I have Paradise P90-R’s. The upgraded app (v 4.0.4) is very slow to connect initially, but once connected, I find changing programs using the app almost instant - much faster than using the aids themselves. My biggest gripe is that the app frequently won’t perform an initial connection at all. Then I have to “Forget Devices” and repair the aids to the app again to get them to connect.

But I have major praise for the Bluetooth and wireless features. Phone calls are as clear as a bell. (Samsung J8). For TV, my wife can hear at her volume via the normal speakers, and I can hear perfectly via the TV Connector’s wireless connection. Also, I have a Roger Select plugged into the audio-out of my PC and can hear YouTube videos perfectly. For small conferences with no sound system, I place Roger on the presenter’s table, with outstanding results. Overall, top marks except for the app’s initial connection.

1 Like

I have Marvel aids. The update left me in Restaurant from Friday day evening. Until I saw this thread (thank goodness) I would have had no idea.

That is most certainly not an improvement for me.

1 Like

Zebras, again a fascinating insight. Having lost an aid I have been looking for BT search Apps.
I found one, Wunderfound, very simple. It quickly identified all BT transmitters nearby and estimates their range. It shows LE Left and LE Right as well as two Tile devices.
Range estimates are not brilliant, 2m to my left ear and 3 to my right! If you select the sought item it then presents a % strength zone. Simple and effective.

But I also have Bluetooth Scanner. This is a completely different league. It gives full technical details of each transmitter with the top being RB and identified as Sonova. I will let anyone interested explore the data. Searching for RB shows a second by second dB loss of - 4 to - 6 dB. It also has the option of sound (if it is a different device and you have one available). The LE dB loss shows around - 50.

I have not experienced Autosense (now called Automatic) clicking when it changes programs. It just does it in the most ham-fisted manner.

Good spot. I went into the programs and found other changes.

Automatic (AutoSense OS) delving deeper it has Normal situation (automatic) and then the option to make changes.
In addition to TV there is a setting TV1 Calm Situation It certainly makes my keyboard operation louder and there is a noticeable background noise too. Selection Autosense cancels this.
I found also a setting for Cleaning Reminder.

While it has been reported that the new ap was to improve the performance of the Paradise, the update did impact my Marvels. I was not aware that an update was taking place and due to the settings on my phone apparently it happened automatically. I noticed because my aids would not work correctly and I had to “forget” my devices and reinstall them to resolve the problem. It would be nice if Phonak would notify users via e-mail before an upgrade so I’d know it was coming. I’m not a fan of software engineers making changes in the appearance of the software I use so just getting used to seeing the “automatic” program where I used to see Autosense is annoying. I generally use autosense most of the time so I have not noticed any performance improvements. Like others I find the connection time when I open the ap to be very slow. I also have issues maintaining bluetooth connectivity when streaming from my I phone or apple watch and have not noticed an improvement in that (not sure any was intended with the new ap). Can anyone explain what the “upgraded” ap was intended to improve or fix?