Phonak and smartlink

I use a phonak micropower v in my left ear(50% hearing loss) and a perseo 23
in my right ear(30% hearing lose) , I cannot follow a conversation in a restaurant or social gathering. I would like any experience with phonak naida and smartlink.

Right now, I have the Phonak Naida V UP and Smartlink SX plus one ML10i receiver. I’ve had some success with Smartlink, but feel I need to hear more. I am currently waiting for a second Phonak ML10i receiver to be assigned to me, which I expect to get within 2-3 weeks. With the complete package of one Smartlink and 2 receivers, I should have binaural hearing capability and little difficulty blocking out most of the background noise in a crowded environment (with the correct configuration).

The Naida can be a little bit difficult to configure if the audiologist is not well versed in the software configuration, as the Naida is not always ready out of the box.

The advantage of the Naida and Smartlink with ML10i receivers is the discreet size and options. The Smartlink SX has bluetooth, as well as dynamic frequency FM access. I have used it with a Radio Shack recording control adapter ( #43-1237) to have full access to a home phone without speaking on a handset. Since I work in a physical warehouse environment, the discreet size is needed so I won’t destroy my expensive toy.

The ML10i receiver is also built in the Naida, so you won’t have to worry about the receivers falling off the aid. In addition, the ML10i does not require a boot, so the overall size is smaller.

The Smartlink also has 3 different transmitter settings, in which can be tailored from hearing the person in front only, to hearing all persons around your close vicinity. You also have the option to set the transmitter on the farthest side of the table and set your aids to FM + microphone, which gives you more crisp range in hearing.

The only downside I can see is having to go to the audiologist all the time if you need to have your settings adjusted. I have heard the Phonak MyPilot device helps alleviate the problems with the audiologist visit somewhat with the ability to adjust the microphone controls. I do not have the MyPilot, so you will have to ask other forum members about their experiences regarding the MyPilot.

I received my Exelias BTH about 2 months ago. The audiologist would not give me the MyPilot remote until about a month later. She wanted me to not have too much to fiddle with. I am an engineer so I wanted all the bells and whistles so I had to wait.

I had worn other simple analog aids before and found that I heard more than I wanted to. I have the service related high frequency roll off. I hear pretty well at the lower frequencies so use the open in the ear tube. At the present time I could not get the SIE (speaker in the ear).

These aids have smart settings that it learns. At my first appointment after I got the aids she found I had worn them 13 hours a day, most of the time in Automatic mode, and how much I changed the volume.

My first indication of the smart features was using the vacuum sweeper. I turned it on and it screamed, but in about 6 to 10 seconds the highs dropped out almost completely. Since mine are open ear I still had the lower roar. I tried fitting some ear plugs around the tube but there was still about the same low frequency sound.

With the myPilot I only have two presets other than Automatic, Speech in Noise and Comfort in Noise. The zoom is handy. I was in a meeting with the speaker over my left shoulder while we were watching the Power Point. There was a noisy AC unit running of to the right. It was nice to able to listen to the left. I want to see what the other presets are. I do not need to use the T-coil for the phone. I have not figured it out yet but when I get out of the car I get a couple of beeps about 10 seconds later.

I asked the Dr. if I was hearing more than a young person in the highs. She thought it might be too ‘bright’ so lowered the setting.

The main benefit is in auditoriums. I now laugh at the preachers jokes and can hear the flutes and clarinets in musical programs.

More later as I learn to ignore this noisy keyboard clicking.

I don’t remember keyboards being as noisy as they seem to be now that I’m wearing HA in ea ear. Just loaner Phonak MicroPower. Will be trying Exelia P model and looking forward to My Pilot for zoom that you mention. Wondering if I could do w/out My Pilot, 'tho. Costs are mounting up. Insurance doesn’t cover any of this for me.

Let me know if you grow used to keyboard noise!

I bought mine recently for a total of 7500.00 This was 3000 per hearing aid and 350 for the icom and 1300 for the smartlink and $500 off. I haven’t seen anyone mention the smartlink option though, just the mypilot. I have had the hearing aids for almost two weeks.

What I want to know is if anyone knows the difference between the smartlink and the mypilot? How does the mypilot work with bluetooth to the phone? Do you talk into it? With the smartlink you have to have that nearby (around your neck with the icom) which can become annoying needless to say. The Smartlink has a built in mic that you have to talk into while on the phone. But when you are not on the phone it has the capability of hearing through this mic, the hearing aids, or both. My wife likes to wear it around her neck and talk to me that way because the sound is actually clearer. But the unit is more bulky than the icom. Hearing Planet told me that I had to have it to have the phone option work but I don’t see anyone complaining about the phone option not working with the mypilot.

Also I read up above that someone asked if they needed to have a boot fitted to the Exelias in order for them to work. The answer to that question is no. That is an option other than the icom route. The boot is supposedly clearer than the icom but they were going to charge me $1000 for each boot!

The icom is also annoying not only because of its bulkiness that is quite noticable but because the sound fades in and out if you are bending down or moving around a lot due to the t-coils position. So if you raise the cord to the hearing aids the sound and clarity increases and as you pull it away from your head the sound decreases. Wearing it around the neck is about mid range sound. Sometimes when I am tilting my head while watching tv, I notice the difference in power sent to each ear. In general right now, I hear out of the right ear with the icom than I do with the left ear.

Also, the manual says that the filters over the directional mic’s have to be changed every few months or so. Doesn’t anyone find this annoying at all?

My left hearing aid seems louder in general right now. Sounds are louder than voices. But again, I have only had them for a week and a half. Thanks for the input.

The Mypilot is simply a remote control for your hearing aids, with the added ability to have directional functionability with exelias. Mypilot has nothing to do with bluetoothing with a phone. Just the Icom or smartlink does. To use the Icom with the smartlink, you must have a “boot” or receiver on the Icom. Personally, I would use the Icom alone without the smartlink for bluetoothing. Your audiologist can adjust the hearing aids volume input from the ICOM depending on the input, (ie bluetooth, FM, or direct input).

Tnx for your reply. I appreciate it so quickly. So let me understand this correctly, with just the smartlink I don’t have directional functionability but the mypilot makes that possible? Also, if I get the boot for the icom then that will allow me to talk with the phone? What I don’t get is where the mic is that is picking up the sound for talking on the phone wirelessly. My Icom doesn’t have a mic on it. So I am thinking it must be on the boot? I will ask my Audi today about it. Why have the Smartlink over just the icom? Or the icom and mypilot?

Yeah, I can’t stand having to wear both the icom and smartlink it is pretty bulky and they clank together whenever I walk around making it uncomfortable for the receiver on the other end of the phone.

The mypilot is strictly a remote control for Exelia and Naida hearing aids. It also has directional functionality for Exelia hearing aids.

The smartlink is: A fm Transmitter and a bluetooth device. It is also a remote control for several types of “older” hearing aids. You must have a FM receiver to use the smartlink transmitter. The receiver can be a boot for the hearing aids, it can be a neckloop that uses tcoil, or you can get a receiver can snap onto the bottom of the ICOM. With the smartlink, someone can talk into it and it will transmit the sound to your receiver.

The Icom can be used by itself as a bluetooth device, and it automatically transmits the sound to the hearing aids. There is a microphone on the icom which is used during phone calls. There is no reason to actually wear the smartlink and icom at the same time.

You need to have your audi better explain how to use this stuff. You’ve paid a lot and deserve a lot of explaining.

lso I read up above that someone asked if they needed to have a boot fitted to the Exelias in order for them to work. The answer to that question is no. That is an option other than the icom route. The boot is supposedly clearer than the icom but they were going to charge me $1000 for each boot!

The icom is also annoying not only because of its bulkiness that is quite noticable but because the sound fades in and out if you are bending down or moving around a lot due to the t-coils position. So if you raise the cord to the hearing aids the sound and clarity increases and as you pull it away from your head the sound decreases. Wearing it around the neck is about mid range sound. Sometimes when I am tilting my head while watching tv, I notice the difference in power sent to each ear. In general right now, I hear out of the right ear with the icom than I do with the left ear.

The “boot” are referring to is the actual FM receiver? A regular boot is only around $25, plus the DAI type receiver (around $800 or so) There is also a integrated FM receiver such as the Phonak ML10i (which I have)

I’m glad you said the iCom can lose connection at times if you bend down. I opted to have 2 Phonak ML10i receivers instead of the iCom because I will already have the Smartlink SX to carry also. These Fm receivers are integrated into my naida aids…of course the size of the aid is a little bigger, but not as big as the FM boot plus the DAI type receiver…

I am looking into the exelias and i have the smartlink already and a mlx reciever that snaps onto the battery end of my una ha. My una is almost maxed and my loss is progressive so my next ha purchase i’d rather pay a bit more for the better aid instead of having to upgrade more often:) The smartlink is a great fm and bluetooth on its own, i don’t think i would get the mypilot or icom though…although the mypilot sounds interesting…