Phonak ambra micro p noise

Have had my ambra for 3 days. Noises close to me and made by me like chewing and walking, talking are exaggerated and excruciating. Do I have to put up with that in order to hear? And people’s voices are tinny. Feels like I’m in a cave. Audiologist said my brain has to learn to filter these out. I am a positive person and trying not to complain. Is this what I need to live with? I thought there were settings to turn up what I need and down what I can hear. ?

I had similar complaints with my Phonak solara cic’s. When I had my Audi make adjustments I lost some sound quality. If you search these forums for PHONAK, you get similar stories.

After demoing the Phonak, I tried the Oticon and found a more natural sound. Not perfect, but better. I think I want to try one more brand before spending $4400. It seems the happy Phonak users were able to make adjustments that worked for them. I don’t believe my Audi was comfortable with the product and had trouble navigating the software. She mentioned that she is not a big Phonak advocate AFTER I said I wanted to try another product, but did say that many people in her office were.

Thanks- possibly I’ll try other brands but for now I went to my Audi and asked of a dome would help instead of the molds I had. He put some on and it helped a bunch with the noises and tinny voices. I’m only set at 70% of presc. But will go back in a week. Tv quality and some speech sounds are still not great. Good luck with the oticons. Let me know.

Phonak is the best way to go. You do have to learn how to hear again, IF you are a first time wearer. I tried Oticon’s on a few patients and they said it sounded really clear, but after a week then ended back up in the Phonak’s. If you go to someone who sells multiple brands there is no way they could possible know how to program them all. I believe I am very good at my job and I can only handle working with one brand. The software needs to be mastered and anyone says they can do them all is crazy.

no to be my usual wise-ass self but since you seem to be a Pro (my buddy Seb should be along soon) I can understand ADs not being experts in all the different software but only being able to handle one kind of concerns me.

I agree “Phonak is the best way to go” if purchasing from you since that’s the only software you know.

Curious if your latest fitting addressed your concern. I’ve worn Oticon Delta’s and now wear Phonak Ambra’s. Initial fittings do require adjustments for your brain to learn to process the stimuli it’s receiving. It usually takes 2-3 fittings over a 4-6-8 week period for the adjustment period.
When you first got them, you could probably hear new sounds - like jingling keys, or coins. Over time, your brain realizes these are “normal” sounds and begins to filter them out as trivial. By the same token, if you tried to concentrate on those sounds you could probably hear them - which you couldn’t do without the aids.
Those with ‘healthy’ hearing do the same thing - they process out those extraneous noises. City dwellers don’t think their environment is noisy, but visitors to the city get overwhelmed quickly…

Your audi is also not done adjusting you either. I got my Ambra SPs last tuesday and after a couple days of wearing them I was pretty convinced the program for cutting down background noise wasn’t turned on. Fans have been the worst, so much louder than anyone talking. I went for another fitting today and asked him about it…and he made adjustments, in that regard they’re much better now.

I also went from a Oticon, the Tego Pro, to a Phonak, and the sound is cvertainly different, the Phonak is much harsher, but I actually like how my voice sounds with them :slight_smile:

This is true, but occlusion is caused by the physical presence of the hearing aid in the canal. Sometimes it’s possible to adjust out by altering the venting of the aid, sometimes electronics help. If you shut the aid off in situ and can still hear the noises, the venting needs to be addressed, if you can only hear the sounds when the aid is on, making changes to the lower pitch amplification (500Hz) will usually yield results; though you might find that turning the sound up there actually makes things sound better via anti-phase damping.

Could you explain this, please?