Philips Hearlink first Impressions

New wrinkle: The TV Adapter was working better with the analog signal, but after being on for 10-15 minutes that signal cuts out and I get no audio unless I reconnect the DAC power supply (also tried a different adapter), and then the same thing happens 10-15 minutes later. So I’ve gone back to the Toslink digital audio and just try to deal with the volume spikes by turning down the adapter streaming volume while waiting to speak to my HAS at Costco and hopefully getting an appointment to try further tweaks to the Hear Suite streamer settings. At this point I am ready to return the DAC.

BTW, Philips advertises remote adjustments through the HearLink Connect app, which I downloaded weeks ago, but last I heard the fitter said they are still working through problems with that and he’s unable to use it to adjust my HAs. I am rapidly getting fed up with Philips.

I think I tried to warn you in the other thread Oticon OPN 1 and TV Streamer the following:

I suspect that this is what you’re experiencing. You analog audio in to the TV Adapter from your DAC is set too low, below a threshold level that the TV Adapter deems to have an active analog audio going on. So after several minutes, the TV Adapter will go into standby to save energy. By recycling the DAC’s power supply, you probably started an initial large enough spike that wakes up the TV Adapter from standby again.

So the trick is to find a hot enough level of input from the analog audio going into the TV Adapter from the DAC that will keep the TV Adapter from going into standby and continue to be awake, but not too hot like the Toslink that would blow your ear drums off. I don’t know what this hot analog level needs to be, but hopefully by experimenting with it, you’ll find a working hot enough level and it’d still be acceptable to you and not too hot like your Toslink level.

That could indeed be the case! But if so, then the problem becomes whether it’s worth it to be constantly adjusting the DAC volume to keep it from becoming undetectably low yet having it at a comfortable level that beats using the digital Toslink signal directly. The default RCA is nearly as loud as the default Toslink. After all, I turned it down low for a reason. The other question is whether it will wake up from standby from the low setting that’s most comfortable if I just raise the volume up a few clicks rather than having to unplug/replug each time it goes off. Anyway, I got permission to return the item to Amazon for a refund but will still try to get it working in the middle ground you suggest before I give up on it.

The hope is that once you find a mid-ground “warm” enough level to keep the TV Adapter from falling to standby, but not too hot, then you wouldn’t need to keep adjusting that volume level anymore.

If that “warm” level is still too hot for your liking, then you can return it at that point and you won’t regret returning it too soon and didn’t try it first. So you’re doing the right thing to give it another try first before returning.

I’m still really hoping that Philips will modify their program to allow for a lower default volume on the TV adapter. I’ll ask about this when I have my next appointment later this month. For now, I continue to turn the volume down 2 clicks every time a switch to the TV Adapter.

I was able to get the digital-to-analog converter set at a volume that did decrease the tv adapter’s blast at the default volume (without going into standby), but it’s not a perfect solution inasmuch as there is now a bit of latency that makes it difficult to have the TV speaker on for my partner while I listen through the transmitter. And there are annoying Bluetooth issues sometimes when I use the adapter. Meanwhile there is only silence from Philips despite my vigorous complaints. Not only is there not yet an updated HearLink app to address the default volumes, there also appears to be no movement toward making the HearLink Connect app work so my Costco fitter can make remote adjustments. I had wanted to try having him lower the surroundings setting for the TV adapter. If the frustration continues, I am thinking more and more of returning the Philips products to Costco and trying another brand. The TV adapter in particular seems much more primitive than ReSound or KS10 (Phonak), And the lack of being able to keep user volume settings or adjust defaults is simply intolerable. Very disappointing!

Would this be the same for your hearing aids, as in a firmware update to help the issue with the TV box?

As I understand it, my Philips HearLink 9030 (made by Demant) TV Adapter would be affected by an update to the hearing aid firmware, but I haven’t been notified of any such update. Maybe a DIYer such as @Volusiano could answer the question. The adapter hardware is similar if not identical to the one used by Oticon More. It would be great if the Philips adapter would keep the user volume settings instead of defaulting to the ear-splitting 16.

I don’t know how the Philips HearSuite software manages the TV Adapter firmware update. On the Oticon Genie 2, I don’t get any notification when I open up Genie 2 because my TV Adapter is not connected to the laptop’s USB. But if I want, I can connect my TV Adapter to the laptop, open up Genie 2, then run the Accessories Updater to find the TV Adapter, then after it’s connected, it’ll tell me if there’s a new firmware to update for it or not. Bottom line is that I have to check and update manually if I want. No notification.

Thanks! Though it sounds from @Zebras post like the firmware update wasn’t to the TV Adapter as an accessory but to the Mores themselves. Maybe it’s all the same if your audi/HAS adjusts your devices.

Sounds like a trip to Costco is in my near future since I don’t use Genie. Guess i can just call first and find out if Philips has updated its firmware as Oticon did.

That’s correct. The most recent 2021.2 Genie 2 update contains a firmware update to the More HAs themselves. I do have a TV Adapter but I never had any issue with it so I only checked for the TV Adapter firmware once before and never checked again so far. It’s very unlikely that the Oticon TV Adapter has a recent firmware update anyway.

You could check this yourself within HearSuit, just plug the TV adaptor in by USB.

Check your PM

I have a Mac so would need Boot Camp, then Windows, then HearSuite (maybe even NoahLink before that?) Anyway, my HAS at Costco will be calling Philips to find out if the firmware has been updated.

its gain offset in streaming section you can to solve this problem i just put mic near my tv speaker. no need for tv streamer

The Phillips software currently used by my COSTCO fitter is the same as it was before, so my default volume level for my TV Adapter is still too loud.

I was told that the Phillips 9030s (the rechargeable ones) have had an update, but not the 9010s that I have. I don’t know if that update to the 9030 had anything to do with the default volume level for the TV Adapter.

I will report back after my appointment tomorrow to update my 9030s firmware. Philips actually wrote me to announce the update and said it was at my behest to address the volume. What I have found that works as a stopgap is to mostly use the HA program and volume buttons instead of the app to adjust the adapter. It seems to keep user settings better, though it doesn’t address the default. In General (program 1) a long press down on either aid switches my 9030s to streaming, and then short presses crank the volume up or down. I still use the app for muting, though again you can simply long press to rotate to a different program.

I can now report that my fitter updated my 9030s’ firmware to 1.1.1. He then connected the TV Adapter and also had a long conversation with a Philips representative about some settings, including a new “high fi” music program to replace the previous music program. At any rate, I am happy to report the situation with the TV Adapter was much improved once I took it home and tried it with my setup. This is not because the default volume setting on the app seems to have changed. It was and remains 16. But the firmware now saves the latest user-set volume, even if you go in and out of the streaming program or out of the app entirely. (Other programs still do not save latest user settings, but that’s less important if you’re happy with the defaults set during fitting.) So that I’d still like to see the default lowered isn’t really a problem, since the latest user setting on the adapter is saved and prevents the unpleasant blast when streaming is turned on. I was therefore able to disconnect my DAC converter and go back to the optical/Toslink cable from the TV to the adapter with no unpleasant boost to volume. The high-fi music program is nice too, though the default was much too loud and had to be adjusted by my HAS. I would suggest to @Jack_F to have your Costco fitter ask Philips to update the 9010 firmware to accomplish the same thing. Or send an email to mcbg@demant.com and address your concerns to Marc, who is in contact with the developers.

1 Like

piques46,

Thanks for the update. When you say “the firmware now saves the latest user-set volume”, do you mean it saves it on your phone, or does it save it into the hearing aides. In other words do you have to use the Phillips phone app to select the TV Adapter Program or can you do it by just pressing the buttons on the hearing aides?

Jack.

It must be saving it to the HAs because it kicks in when I press the buttons and keeps the previously set volume. As for selecting the streaming program, the buttons will accomplish that in the rotation after the last optional program, but they did so even before the firmware update. If you want to change the surround/mic setting of the TV Adapter you do have to use the app, or at least I can not figure out any way to separate the two streaming settings using the buttons.

Thanks for the info.