Philips 9040 hearing-in-noise program

Thanks for your reply, Volusiano. Yes, the right button doesn’t work. I didn’t mention that I can’t pair my aids to the Oticon app with either my android phone or my iPad. That’s another problem. And when I turn them on I get 4 beeps on the right then the left, a little jingle, one note and then three down from above. From what I could glean online this may be a microphone issue. Anyway, these aids are on their last legs, I have an old Ria pair I got free and rarely used. They’re basic, but not too bad save for the feedback, but at least I can adjust volume if only manually.
I think the Costco provider was equating word recognition with distortion in a loose manner. Poor word recognition is a much more nuanced pathology to understand than simple volume losses at frequencies.
Just a side note in the life of a hearing-impaired person who lost his hearing many years ago from a virus that attacked between bedtime and morning and could no longer teach in the classroom, the other day a “ friend” of mine who also has hearing loss lost his cool with me in the car with the window pen after I told him I couldn’t understand what he was saying. This is someone I’ve known a few years and with whom I’ve had many long conversations. My response : “If you don’t want to deal with hearing-impaired friends get new ones, but being hearing-impaired yourself such a solution equally applied may likewise cause a bit of a conundrum.”