"Perfect" solution for watching TV

I didn’t realize there were things on tv actually worth hearing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I use a APP called TUNITY that I stream through Starkey HALO 2’s. Not perfect but I can still adjust volume for my HA’s and wife can adjust TV volume to suit her. As an aside the APP is great to use when i am out and a TV in restaurant or Bar is on mute.

With most programs here we can add subtitles, I find that easy watching. Only thing is that you will have to watch all the time. For the rest I try it without any streaming, just the OPN’s and tv sound. Adjusting tonal balance on the TV can help.

MDB, how are the acoustics of your TV room?

I’ve never really thought about it. It’s part of a "great room (TV room, family room and kitchen are all one big open space) Room is carpeted and windows have drapes. Without hearing aids I can hear most everything at my wife’s desired volume, but I have to strain. With hearing aids, it’s better, but not quite as good as I want.

Carpets and drapes are good for hearing, great room is bad. A family member of mine just built a new house with an enormous great room with hardwood floors and huge windows. It is beautiful and no one can understand the TV at all–no hearing aid users in the bunch. The reverb of the room, despite not being obvious (it’s not like you get a grand canyon style echo), dramtically effects the clarity of the TV. Houses are going more towards open concept as are office buildings, and it’s awful for hearing. /rant

Acoustics can have a big effect on why one HA user has no problem with the TV and another does. If you can get the TV speaker closer to you, either by moving towards the TV or getting a little speaker that you can move closer to yourself, that will help. Sometimes the TV itself will have an option in the sound menu for something like clear speech, or amplified speech, or nighttime mode that may help a little bit too.

If you are using a streamer, that solves the distance issue, but most hearing aids are set to attenuate the regular microphones when you are in streaming mode. This is something that can be adjusted in the software. Distance of your watching partner will also matter.

I use my old Sennheiser wireless headphones and I can hear my wife. In fact I can hear the TV if they are not turned on. I often wonder if we are not asking for too much. I don’t use them with my HA’s.

I guess I’m a little late to the conversation.

My solution is a little dated but I use Phonak Naida Q50 aids connected to a Compilot and TV Link. I mostly use it connected to my computer and/or iPhone at work but it works equally well with my TV at home. The balance was achieved by experimentation with the audiologist and took a couple of visits to get it just right. In addition, I can fine tune the volume on the TV/iPhone/computer as well as the up/down volume buttons on the compilot to adjust things on the fly.

The lager button on my compilot toggles the audio feed from whichever device is streaming on and off so I can give all of my attention to person to person communications if needed. This is particularly important at work.

I use a streamer and have had great results with it. It’s from Signia and there is no lag and everything sounds clear. Nice to be able to adjust volume and not run everyone out of the room. What I like best is I can leave the room and still hear the TV well. I can go just about anywhere in the house and not lose connection and hear the TV just fine. I wasn’t going to get a streamer as I don’t watch much TV but it has been great for me for when I need it.

Bare in mind the following:

1. Flat panel TV’s have BAD speakers. Everyone needs a soundbar or a sound system.
  2. Even “normal” people often need to turn on subtitles.
  3. Voice, now, is so hard to understand (because of loud background noise inserted on many programs) --a couple companies now advertise that they have “special” speakers for you set set up that accentuate voice.

I just got the bit that I needed to get to be able to stream from my tv to my aids via the Oticon Connect Clip 3.0. My advice: Don’t get the Connect Clip for that purpose. It lags behind the sound from the tv and what you get is a cacophony. It might just be ok for listening with the tv’s speakers turned off. Depends on how sensitive you are to lip-sync issues probably.

I’m using pretty new Oticon HAs. If we decide we need to talk during the TV show the one of us w/out the remote says “Pause” - have conversation - “Play.” Otherwise I can’t understand either the conversation or the TV. Plus we leave the subtitles on all the time.

Does your TV support Bluetooth directly to the Connect Clip or did you have to get a third party Bluetooth adapter between the TV and the Connect Clip? If the latter, then it’s probably the adapter that’s causing the latency.

I need a bluetooth transmitter for a link similar to the TV requirement.
What information in the ads for them will identify the ones with minimum latency?

This one: http://www.avantree.com/product-bluetooth-transmitter-and-receiver-avantree-saturn-pro.html. When connected to my headset with aptx there is no discernable latency. I suppose it’s possible that there’s a variation in performance between Bluetooth-equipped TVs and transmitters and between different models of transmitters when using the SBC codec but I’m not convinced.

Sennheisers are definitely NOT bluetooth and are in no way generic or interchangeable.

Keep in mind that for those shows which make full use of “surround” are being done in sound studios that are a near perfect acoustical design and have very $$ speakers. The sound is being designed for those who have home theaters with 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound systems. The news is being done on the fly usually from a sole microphone and canned music intros.

Although the HA manufacturers are trying to get that surround sound feel with multiple mics and directionality, keep in mind there are only two small “speakers”. That is an awful lot to ask.

NateS: What’s this then? Just starting from the lowest price.

Big Whoops! I stand corrected! :flushed:
I guess I should have gone to CES 2017!
You’re on the ball, z!
Good catch!

HalfEar: I’m aware about the studios. I’m peeved that all of the sounds from that 5.1 or 7.1 get crushed down to stereo speakers on a tv. My comments are that I’ve discovered that sending the sound out to the 5.1 system helps spread out the sounds as they are designed to be and that it leaves the center speaker to handle the dialog. All that spread out sound doesn’t seem to overwhelm the dialog like it does with crushing down to stereo. Others have mentioned altering their sound outputs. My tv satellite receiver just has a compression option which helps a little. Not as much as running it out to the surround. I still gotta try disconnecting the surrounds themselves and just listen to the dialog off the center. But we’ll see.

Actually with news…often you’ll see the two little mic heads attached to the readers lapel or something which means stereo. Kinda pointless but stereo nonetheless.

I am in no way imagining that the HA’s will do anything about surround. What they can do is simulate the spatial aspect of where the sound had come from. But yes… at the end of the day…all we’re getting is a left ear and a right ear which we’ve come to know as stereo. Surround sound output provides a spatial effect. The ears are still just stereo. There’s no way to ask for anything more.