Pairing third-party Bluetooth transmitters with N7

Hi, I wonder if anyone has tried pairing a third party Bluetooth transmitter with the N7?

I found the price of their TV accessory around AU$500 way excessive. Similar generic BT transmitters are sold for around $25. I would not sweat on paying a bit of extra, but the difference of over 10x cannot be justified by the technology.

With my Siemens HA and Easytek accessory, I used third party BT TV adapter as well as a BT remote microphone. They paired just fine and worked perfectly.

I wonder if anyone tech savvy has tried this with the N7, or can comment to this.
Thanks

The TV connector is a Cochlear wireless proprietary.

Hi @Raudrive,
Sorry, it is not.
Their TV connector is a Bluetooth device (not a WiFi) and Bluetooth is not proprietary to Cochlear. So there is nothing wrong or improper in searching for alternatives when their device seems to be heavily overpriced.
Perhaps someone with experience and with understanding of the technicalities would comment.
Cheers

@Shenman question is, does it say it is BT 4.2 or something or you concluded it’s BT because of frequencies used?

I’m pointing out that, bc with phonak, they use their modified BT, for tv connector for example. So it goes through the same frequency range but protocol is implemented differently. Resulting in several times lower energy consumption than regular BT. Phonak calls it airstream for their tv connector, whilst for roger mic they didn’t gave a name, but still use same frequency range.

But since it uses different encoding protocol than standard BT, standard BT devices just won’t work.

My guess is that they discard many checks that standard BT implements. Plus, they definitely implement some recognition for their devices, since we can’t swap accessories between manufacturers families.

Btw, wifi 2.4 is also in the same range as BT is.

And rau didn’t say anything wrong, he said it’s proprietary wireless protocol, which I’m inclined to believe, given how manufacturers often work in this field.

Not every wireless is called wifi, like some are called BT, some airstream and there’s probably a ton of them more.

In short, unless your aid specification explicitly say which BT protocol it uses, it’s not BT.

It looks like a duck, but if it doesn’t quack like a duck, it’s not a duck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a phone clip, N7, Resound Enzo (not 3D) and an iPhone. I have found that these 4 items need to be paired simultaneously to get the 4 of them to work together… This may be the same for you as well.

I know Phonak will work with the N7 but you need a inductive receiver for the Phonak to work. But I’ve never heard of anyone with Signia getting them to work with the N7.

Good luck with it.

Hi @Blacky,
Your mobile recognizes your N7 as a BT device. So the duck quacks, so to speak, and as a BT receiver your N7 may well receive signals from a different BT transmitter. Whether it does or not, it is another question, and this may not necessarily involve anything proprietary, or certainly not to the extent of justifying the price. Keeping your metaphor, if it looks and sounds like simple protectionism, then…

So, my inquiry was not about terminology, but about practical use. It would be great to hear from someone who actually tried to use third party BT devices version 4.0+. Some HA manufacturers (like Siemens was) left a little window for third party devices, of course without advertising it.

Without going into the engineering nitty-gritty, if you are able to stream your TV to your mobile via a cheap BT transmitter, then there is a possibility that you can use that ($25) device as a TV streamer through the mobile’s BT connection to your N7, i.e. the mobile works as a go-between.

So my intention was and is to exchange ideas and experience.
Cheers

Hi @Deaf_piper,
Is your phone clip a third party device? And why do you need it with the N7 which pairs directly with the iPhone.

Clearly, the issue has never been about connecting a Signia with the N7. It is, as I wrote in the OP, the use of a third party BT transmitter with the N7, for example as a TV streamer or a remote mic.

Please, if anyone has some experience or a relevant idea…
Thanks

@Shenman My HA is a very old platform Resound Enzo2 it doesn’t pair directly with anything. Hence the phone clip to pair the HA through. So yes a third party device. But a Cochlear phone clip.

But when my aid is in for repair as it is now I don’t need the phone clip as my N7 and iPhone are direct stream.

Why don’t you email the technician at Cochlear and ask then if it’s possible for Signia aid to pair with a N7 as I’ve said before I know Phonak can but I’ve never hear of Signia being able to be paired with Cochlear.

@Deaf_piper, please read my post beyond the first line. Thanks.

@Shenman sarcasm is not necessary if you can’t be polite you will be reported.

3 Likes

Isn’t Cochlear only Made For iPhone so it’s not normal Bluetooth so how will you link it to a 3rd party Bluetooth device?!

Also there’s no need to be so rude!

1 Like

Part you’re refusing to comprehend is the aid side.

In short, if your aid has separate program for BT streaming and TV streaming and whatnot, then it’s most likely your idea won’t work because of reasons I’ve stated before.

If your aid has only one streaming program no matter the connection, or if you can force your aid to stay in regular BT streaming mode, then your idea might work (unless aid uses some locking mechanism), try and share the findings.

Active CI people of this forum probably already saw the topic and contributed what they knew.

If you don’t know the relevant information, focus on finding out that.

Or just spend 25$ and test for yourself.

From the compatibility table at Sound Processor and App Compatibility, the n7 does not support Bluetooth Classic. This puts you in the same boat as most hearing aid users, for whom the only option is an overpriced Bluetooth streamer that’s proprietary to the manufacturer of the hearing aid. Yes, it sucks, but go bitch to the manufacturer- not the people on this forum.

1 Like

@Deaf_piper, please report me. However, you may also consider that you kept coming back to Signia and N7 connection, which I specifically said was not in issue. So, my post was a genuine request to you to read my whole post, not only the first line. If it offended you, nevertheless, please report me.

@Zebras,

1. no it is not only for iPhone, and it (as well as Android) recognize it as BT.
  2. As I just responded to @Deaf_piper, there was nothing rude in requesting anyone to read the whole post of what the person responds to, especially if it potentially diverts the intention of the OP.

Do you have anything relevant to comment to the OP?

Why does the Cochlear website say it’s MFi then?

@Blacky, as I have written ad nauseam, the issue is not about a connection between the N7 and a HA, it is about the N7 and third party BT devices. Please, again, read the OP, and let me know if you have anything helpful in that regard.
And, yes, I am doing my homework as well to find an answer.

It seems to be mfi and ASHA (the Android phones they list as compatible happen to support ASHA). Either way, he can’t do what he wants.

1 Like

@d_Wooluf, thanks, your post is certainly relevant, but your “go bitch to the manufacturer- not the people on this forum” is entirely out of context.

Dear posters,
I understand, you had not tried or researched this issue in any dept. This is perfectly fine. The problem is that you actually killed this thread which was intended to help find a solution to a problem and help those who may encounter it in the future.
Please, report me all you want if it makes you feel good and righteous.