Overwhelmed and nervous, too

Hi everyone,

I am so glad I found this board.

I have hearing loss in both ears. I currently wear a Widex Bravo B12 BTE digital aid in my left ear. I should be wearing two aids, according to the audiologist, but I’m stubborn and I don’t but that is a topic for another day.

Normally, when talking on a cell phone, I will turn my hearing aid off and use the phone on my right ear. It’s not perfect but I can hear decently.

At previous jobs, I would turn my aid to the “t” setting and talk using the phone on my aid. I can hear just fine that way.

Tomorrow I am starting a job at a call center which is a whole new world for me and I am a bit apprehensive as to how I will hear while using a headset. I am sure I could wear the headset over my left ear with the aid on “t” but I won’t be able to hear anything else around me and I feel like it will be a pain to continously turn the aid to and from the “t” setting.

I’ve been doing some research about loops, bluetooth, etc but it’s just too much to take in all at once and has gotten confusing.

I know it’s kind of broad but could anyone point me towards the right direction of products I should be looking into?

Thank you!

an option that might suit is just going for cic hearing aids (yeah I know… I’m being a bit preachy, but… You might be the exception but 2 usually is much better - honest :))
I find the whole bluetooth/t-switch thing can sometimes get a little messy for people especially in the work environment - whereas cic’s just work without fiddling…

a possible issue with cic’s is the occlusion effect (blocked up, boomy voice etc) but i’m assuming that since you have some trouble on the phone that you don’t just have a mild high frequency loss…

Thank you for the advice. Assuming that cic means inner canal naids, sadly I cannot use those type of aids in my ears, well, my left ear anyways. My left ear has a constant build up of fluid (and always has…I’ve had a few surgeries including a mastoidectomy) so an inner aid wouldn’t be a viable option for me.

I start my call center training tomorrow and am hoping to approach someone from HR about obtaining a hearing aid compatible headset. In case they are blindsided with this (although there must be SOMEONE else with hearing loss working there or has working there in the past); could anyone reccomend a headset?

Thanks again.

I have used hellodirect.com to get myself HA compatible headsets. Here’s the link:
http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodirect/Shop;jsessionid=0487B6959061A683D79104EEA6349C74?actn=quickadvancedsearch&searchtype=all&wildcardtype=right&overridesrcdsp=70000&keyword=hearing+aid+compatible&x=0&y=0

I have no relationship with them other than a satisfied customer. They do have a liberal returns policy.

This all sounds like a good reason to get a second aid. Why fight the inevitable?

I’m in the same boat. First time HA user (first week) and am struggling to use my headset. My HA doesn’t have T-coil (which I don’t even know what it is) and it is very difficult to put the headset on the HA. Luckily my hearing is good enough that I can still hear most conversations (but not all, which is a problem) by using the headset on the ear with the HA still turned on. However, the maximum volum on the headset is much lower than the maximum on the receiver so sometimes I have to pick up the receiver. Now I’m shopping for a “regular” headset but with extra high volume.

Let me know what you find out. Any help is much appreciated.