Over My Head, Help!

I’m brand new to hearing aids, this forum, (which is an amazing resource, thank you.) audiologists, etc. I have no profile of my loss, have appt.s with two different audi.s
I’ve spent days & hours researching & am slightly less confused. I wonder about buying online, service, how to find an audi. to service them etc. Do I buy a printout from a free test,? buy a comprehensive test? Go to costco to get started into this new world? I like top line equipment in general but do I need it with moderate loss? Lots of questions thanks for any help.

A copy of your test should be free. You are entitled to copies of all medical tests.

Top of the line means mostly better results in noisy situations.

Costco will provide a complete test and their trial period allows you to try the aids and decide. All at no charge.

To clarify a bit, you do have to buy – i.e. fork over the purchase price – in advance to try the aids. That said, you can return them within 180 days for a full refund.

Thank you bobwal, I will try costco soon. my issue is high frequency moderate to severe. low end no prob.i got a free test & the guy acted like the results were a state secret, wouldn’t let me copy them or look at them more than a minute. weird beginning. i’ll report back when there’s new info. Again I want to express my good fortune in finding this site & thanks for your response.

— Updated —

Thank you bobwal, I will try costco soon. my issue is high frequency moderate to severe. low end no prob.i got a free test & the guy acted like the results were a state secret, wouldn’t let me copy them or look at them more than a minute. weird beginning. i’ll report back when there’s new info. Again I want to express my good fortune in finding this site & thanks for your response.

Assuming you’re in the U.S., each state requires that the seller give you at least a 30-day trial period. Many places will give you longer than that. However, if you return them the seller is allowed to charge you a restocking fee. All of that should be spelled out by the seller in advance. Costco sells major brand aids including high-end models, at quite a low price. Not letting you see and copy your audigram results is quite weird, and I would not buy from that person.

A moderate loss is not a small matter. It’s good news that you hear well in the low frequencies.

One of the main questions that determines what model you’ll need is your need to function well in noisy surroundings. If you’re a bartender, work at a daycare center, or eat in crowded restaurants often, hearing speech in noisy surroundings will be very important. Another feature of some high-end aids is compatibility with smartphones and bluetooth devices, which you may or may not need.

As for buying online, please take a look at this thread. When you buy online, you typically pay extra for follow up visits and periodic adjustments.

As for how to find an audi, I would say you’ve already ruled out the first one by his not wanting to share your test results with you. Your audiologist needs to be knowledgeable of course, but also needs to respect you and be willing to work with you as an equal partner in this process. Anyone who comes across as overbearing, pushy, or authoritarian should be crossed off your list.

Thank you all for your very helpful replies to my questions! I made an appt. at costco today two weeks away, the info. you supplied convinced me this is the safe & sane approach. I had already made an appt. w/miracle ear & beltone to try to get ahold of my test results. I will keep them and compare experiences, but I think the Costco approach is best. I’ll report back w/any questions. I am so glad I found this forum, you guys are the best! I plan on supporting the battery outlet that makes this all possible.

— Updated —

I don’t understand why my replies are posted twice… Any suggestions?

Every time you post, click the “Go Advanced” button. That’s what solved the problem for me.

Any time you see someone new, I would recommend letting them think they are the first ones to see you. Don’t tell them you already have a hearing test. Let them perform their own hearing test, and then you can compare all of the different results. They won’t be 100% identical, but you should be able to quickly identify any extreme outliers.

This statement comes up several times a year on this site. First of all their is no federal law requiring trial periods for HA’s. Second, not every state in the U.S. has the 30 day trial as law. Only 32 states have any trial period laws on their books for hearing aids and although most are 30 days several have 45 day trials, the other 18 have no laws requiring a trial period.

This is only true if you reside in the U.S,

I wondered since my first experience was with an audi who only gave a two-week trial of Widex aids.

You should of received a 30 days because Colorado has a 30 day trial period Here is who to contact in your state: Dept. of Regulatory Agencies, Division of Registrations.www.dora.state.co.us/reg_investigations/file_complaint.htmOffice of Attorney General1525 Sherman Street, Denver, CO 80203303.866.4500 | Fax: 303.866.5691Attorney.General@state.co.usConsumer Line: 800.222.4444

Costco provides a 180 day trial period as their standard.

I’m sorry. seb is right, and what I posted was wrong.

I found this state-by-state list of the state laws (or lack of them) regarding hearing aid returns.
http://www.hearingloss.org/sites/default/files/docs/Consumer_Protection_Laws.pdf

Common sense… If you owned a business would you let folks walk out with $2500 in product and hope they would return?

— Updated —

Common sense… If you owned a business would you let folks walk out with $2500 in product and hope they would return?

My audi did.

First two weeks were completely free trial. He made it very clear to me that he was letting me walk out with $5000 worth of his goods. After two weeks, I signed a purchase agreement and we were on the state mandated 30 day return period with $300 restocking fee. Even then he didn’t charge me until after the insurance payment went through.

Well you are special…

— Updated —

Well you are special…

I’m special too. The audi who fitted me with Widex aids for a two-week trial let me out with them without paying too. Of course, she made sure she had my credit card info before that. :wink:

My guess is someone in that office made sure my credit card could stand a $6,000+ charge while we were doing all that friendly chatting too, and I have my suspicions abut what might have happened had I not returned those aids until the 15th day.