Oticon Xceed Whitepaper

Very detailed review of Oticon Xceed. You might need to be an Audi to understand everything in report, but nice to see someone (Örebro University Hospital in Sweden) make (hopefully unbiased) attempt to address the Xxceed’s performance in background noise.

A study at the Örebro University Hospital in Sweden investigated the benefits of Oticon Xceed and OpenSound Navigator™ (OSN) on speech recognition, listening effort and memory recall in noise for adults with severe-to-profound hearing loss. By providing more speech information, the use of OSN allowed the listeners to handle more background noise while achieving the same level of speech intelligibility. Subjectively, the listeners perceived significantly less effort while listening to speech
in noise with OSN activated. Compared to Oticon Dynamo, the listeners had better recall of words from short-term memory with Oticon Xceed. These results suggest the BrainHearing™ technology in
Oticon Xceed provides better access to speech with less listening effort. This study demonstrates that it is possible to ease cognitive processing of speech for people with severe-to-profound hearing loss.

https://www.oticon.com/-/media/oticon-us/main/download-center/xceed/15555-10491-xceed-brainhearing-whitepaper

Geez it sounds grand! I had the Oticon Opn miniRITE aids for almost a year, and despite the “brain learning” speech technology employed on that model, I found the aids impossible for discerning any speech in any kind of background noise, be it in a restaurant, doctor’s office, shopping mall, etc.,

It was incredibly frustrating, and made me feel dumb as a donkey that my brain just couldn’t seem to LEARN how to decipher the speech in noise. I saw the speakers’ mouths moving, but it all sounded garbled and overwhelmed with any ambient sounds.

Maybe things have improved, cuz that was 2 yrs ago.

So Opn was inefficient for you? Maybe it was Opn 3? Xceed uses same technology as Opn.

I found interesting that the Dynamo did better in the Long Term Memory Recall Test. It wasn’t a lot and it wasn’t statistically significant, but just a reminder that this was a small study and most of the differences are pretty small.

2 Likes

No, Xceed was better

Note: I said “Long Term” Memory. You need to look at the graphs to see this.

Hmmm… you are right! Very strange…

1 Like

I’ve trialed an OPN. Although I could understand speech pretty well, things were very noisy in general (much more so than other hearing aids I’ve tried) My refrigerator sounded a lot like my microwave. I liked them fine, but not $5800 worth.

1 Like

We’ve had discussions about Whitepapers here before. They are interesting, but they are largely marketing. If nothing else, they suffer from publication bias. If there wasn’t a way to put a positive spin on the results, they wouldn’t be published. They also tend to be pretty small studies. As far as we know, they did five studies and picked the one that they liked the results of.

3 Likes

Not wanting to sound cynical, but it seems like there are amazing breakthroughs in hearing aid technology every few months. If each breakthrough added on top of the last breakthrough we should all have bionic ears by now!

2 Likes

Agree. Sometimes you wonder if more research money goes into “fabricated sales advertising” versus actual internal changes to the same hearing aid/brand year over year.

And maybe “quantum leap” is an leap to distance with quantum size length :joy:

1 Like

lostdeaf, sorry for the delay! I haven’t been up here in a few weeks what with the holidays …

NO! The Oticons were absolute failures from the get-go. I had the OPN 1 (I think) back in 2017, so maybe that’s part of the problem. I also think my brain is simply not made for the OPN hearing style of LEARNING how to comprehend speech in a CACOPHONY of sound. Nope. Too dumb. Too deaf. Too dang stubborn. Or something.

1 Like

Well I tested them and they didn’t work that way for me. I have a profound loss with 20 percent speech comprehension. I found that they allowed more background noise in but turned that noise into a deep base sound. Not natural sounding at all. As time went on I thought my brain would adjust to that background noise and it did somewhat. But I also noticed that as time went on that base sound got to be tiresome and made speech comprehension more difficult. Did I hear better overall. Yes. But the background noise never sounded natural to me. But again that’s me. I’m well aware that someone else might have a completely different reaction when wearing them.

2 Likes

Hass - Are you thinking of testing the new Naida Marvel SP aids or possibly Resound Enzo Q? The Naida M might not have the power you need (also might) but I assume the Resound Enzo Q would. In general I think its hard for power aids to be programed to work well in quiet setting and then also in noisy settings. Though some do better than others.

Yes I am hoping my audiologist will have the marvel naidas available for me to test within the next couple of weeks. Apparently there’s a list of audis waiting for these new aids. Considering my loss and speech comprehension I’m not expecting miracles. The xceeds I tested and didn’t like were only compatible with iphone and I have an android. The new naidas are supposedly compatible with both. Might also ask to test the Roger’s system but we shall see. I am currently testing the old naidas which are better than my old aids, more powerful but still there are a lot of areas that are hit and miss. I’m the first one to admit that I’m a hard fit with my loss but like my audi says what have you got to lose. You got to love a guy who will let you try every hearing aid out there if you want and doesn’t charge you. I certainly appreciate it.