Oticon vs Widex for critical music listening

You can post your DIY issue in the DIY section of this forum to get more help on. This section is not included in the system that gives you update notifications, however, so you’d have to visit it when you want to look for new updates on it.

Also, make sure you download the latest Genie 2 2020.2.1 from oticon.com/help and install. Below is the system requirement for Genie 2 2020.2.1:

1 Like

I have Oticon Real aids and I have the App Speech programme (which I normally use) as well as MyMusic which I change to and find my music very enjoyable.
Picture shows the Speech and Music frequency range. Whether MyMusic Audiogramme is identical to picture as shown I do not know.
Your expanded comment would much appreciated.
Speech & Music frequency range picture.pdf (192.2 KB)

Don’t know if you are aware of the history background on the MyMusic program Oticon released or not. Originally, there was just a built-in Music program starting with the OPN, then the OPN S, then the More. But somewhere along the line, Oticon decided to retire the original legacy Music program from the More and introduced what they think is a better built-in music program, which they call MyMusic. But they made it in such a way that once you go to a particular firmware update on the More, you would no longer have the legacy Music program, but would now only have the new built-in MyMusic program. This is because Oticon was sure that MyMusic is superior to the legacy Music in every other way, and they’ve done extensive studies on it, and even wrote a whitepaper to explain their research and what they did to arrive at MyMusic, showing how most of their test subjects prefer the MyMusic over the legacy Music program.

But upon its release, there seems to be 2 schools of reactions to MyMusic. One school is comprised of people who love it (like most of the Oticon test subjects in the study), and one school is comprised of people (many are musicians) who don’t like the “overtones” that were added to MyMusic. Many people in the later school took it on themselves to make adjustments to MyMusic to become more suitable to their taste, and were successful at doing that and finally happy with THEIR adjusted version of MyMusic. @flashb1024 here is one of our forum’s poster who represents this later school of folks who had to readjust MyMusic to their liking.

Anyway, to make the long story short, if you find the built-in MyMusic program very enjoyable as is, then that’s good for you that you wouldn’t have to go through the trouble of hashing out MyMusic and redo it to your taste. I think what it boils down to is that people who are purists with their music listening probably don’t like the overtones added to MyMusic, they prefer the authenticity and accuracy of the musical sounds over the emphasis placed on certain frequency areas. But the more mainstream music listeners probably like MyMusic because Oticon did their research to try to put focus on catering to this mainstream taste more or less.