Oticon vs Phonak receiver lengths

Looking for input on receiver wire lengths.

I’ve been wearing Phonak HA’S with a #2 receiver for a good number of years with great results. Recently switched to Oticon OPN. A #2 receiver was installed but I’ve always had feedback issues as well as chewing pushing the receiver out of my ear. Today I finally put the two aids side by side and noticed that the Oticon #2 wire is roughly 1/2" (maybe a 1/4") shorter than the Phonak #2.

Can others here confirm there is a difference in the wire lengths between the 2 different vendors?

It looks like your audilogist ordered the aids with the wrong cable length measurement. Recheck to see if your aids fit properly in the ear.

BTE wires fit

Here’s a pic of the right side fit. I have no discomfort. I’m fairly certain the wire is short based on the issues I’m having. Maybe the pic will help others with knowledge pass judgement, yes u need to shave and get a hair cut…I know…lol.

Looks reasonable to me.

I think the solution is to ask your provider to let you try the next size. Many keep sets of receivers in stock. You have prepaid for such service.

1 Like

It’s a looooooooooong drive, given our weather this past month I’m inclined to make the trip though :wink:

Adding Ear Grips may solve the problem of chewing pushing the receiver out of your ear.

Never needed ear grips with the Phonak’s. I’ve even gone as far as using Phonak domes in opn. The opn’s are approx 2 months old. With Phonak I would just change the receivers when necessary and it seems like they took the proper shape after a bit of time. I wonder if Oticon wire is stiffer and needs manipulation for better fit!

I had similar problems with Resound aids. I found the domes and different shaped receivers on the Linx2 aids were an improvement but the Phonak stayed in much better. They also had more flexible wires. The length that is relavent is the total length to the end of the tip of the receiver but the receivers can be different lengths. It also depends on how far back the aid sits on your ear and where the curves are in the wire so it is difficult to just put them side by side and know if one is really shorter. They should sit at roughly the same spot when you wear them. You could try different domes but most people seem to start with a retention lock - a small tail of plastic which sits in the outer ear and helps you retain the aid. They may be in the original kit you got with the aids or you may need new receivers if they have been cut off or disposed of somehow. Ring your audiologist ahead of time and alert them to your problem so the appropriate solutions can be available when you arrive if you have a long drive in difficult weather.

Generally I find the Oticon receivers to be a bit shorter, yes.

1 Like

Have you considered custom molds? Makes all the difference for me.

I’m pretty sure Neville has the right diagnosis. And the fact that I’ve done very well in the past with my hearing loss and domes I’ll wait for that option to materialize.

Update. I received a pair of new #3 oticon receivers a few days ago and all my issues were solved.
Without actually putting Oticon #2 and phonak #2 (I recently replaced my older phonak HA’s with OPN and was told the OPN #2 receiver was the same as what I had with phonak) receivers side by side there is a difference in length. It’s not a lot but enough to cause a poor seal with lots of feedback plus the receivers would not stay in the canal while chewing or talking.

1 Like

When you first posted a picture of your fit, my first impression was that it looked too tight with the wire touching the top of your ear canal. Mine doesn’t touch the top tightly like that. But then I thought, well I could be wrong. Thanks for furthering my education.

1 Like

yes it is indeed shorter in length, Currently i am using the Phonak 1XP Receiver and i found this equivalent to Oticon 3R/L

during my visit with OTICON audiologist, he informed me that either size 2 or size 3 of oticon reciver would be an best fit for me and on size comparison side-by-side, i found PHONAK 1=OTICON 3

Size 1 of oticon was very small compare to Phonak size1.

i am just assuming , may be oticon have size 0/1 for kids and size 2/3 upto 5 for adults . however in phonak it may be different measurement / size for kids and adults. Any thoughts here please?

I tend to compare a phonak 1 with an oticon 2 rather than with an oticon 3. I haven’t actually pulled out my ruler.

Oticon has more options. Phonak does custom receivers for uncommon lengths.

Children do not use RICs, on the whole.