Oticon Vigo Connect

I received my new hearing aid yesterday, an Oticon Vigo Connect. While it has only been a day and a half, here are my observations:

• Background sounds overwhelm. While watching TV with my wife, I can’t hear her talk over the TV.

• The sound seems confined to the high end. I feel like I need more bass. My old Starkey hearing aid offered up more low end sounds.

• Going to the above statement, it often feels like my ears are plugged up and I try to unplug it then I realize it’s not that.

• There is a lot of feedback. Granted my old Starkey aid was the kind of feedback elimination but this seems more than normal. Even having the aid near my coat collar will make it whistle.

• A “beep” from a kitchen appliance sounded like a normal beep with my old Starkey ITE but now sounds likea warble with the Oticon Vigo BTE.

• Even though the aid goes into telecoil mode, talking on the phone is tough.

My audi thinks that moving to a RITE would probably help me get a fuller frequency response than the corda tube and also help with the feedback.

The first week or so with a new aid is tough because at the same time that you are getting adjusted to it, you are trying to sort out any issues with the aid. We tried adding more bass response but I’m still feeling like my ears are clogged up with this aid (best way I can explain it). I thought the Vigo would do a good job of separating the sounds and maybe I still need to give it some more time, hard to say.

I know having my audiogram posted would help with all this and my big question…does this sound right or should I explore a different aid? Should I have a hearing test with the aid?

Thanks!

Here is my recent audiogram:

Hz., R., L.
250, 115, 40
500, 95, 35
1000, 100, 50
2000, 85, 55
3000, 80, 60
4000, 85, 75
6000, 80, 90
8000, 95, 105

Sorry to keep adding information…

My audi suggested either the Oticon Vigo Connect or Starkey S Series (because my previous hearing aids have been Starkey).

As mentioned above, I’m trying the Vigo Connect Pro BTE but will probably try their RITE next. If that fails, then I’ll probably go with either a Starkey S9 or S11.

It would be a shame to give up the Oticon Streamer. While it has some weirdness to it, I like it.

Any thoughts on Oticon Vigo versus Starkey S?

Hz., R., L.
250, 115, 40
500, 95, 35
1000, 100, 50
2000, 85, 55
3000, 80, 60
4000, 85, 75
6000, 80, 90
8000, 95, 105

Thanks again!

Kloda,

I’m into my second week with the Vigo Connect (non Pro) Power RITE and I’ve had my first adjustment. Maybe my old Oticons Digifocus were starting to go but I’ve found these much better than my old ones. My first adjustment was actually quite minor and fixed some issues…

For the TV I had the complete opposite of what you describe…I found my family
sounds great and crisp and the TV is bit harder to hear it I don’t pay attention…as if the
aid focuses on real speech and doesn’t consider the TV to be real… I think maybe it
would depend on the sound quality of your TV.

I agree with that they amplify less of the low end… A lot less boom and bass. I will say
in the office when initially fitted I said they were stuffy and my audi increased the compression I believe making them both sound more natural… Note: natural to me is probably lots of compression from having aid for 35 years.

I do have some loud beeps from my home alarm system these aids seem to dampen…I think the aid are cutting in the loud sound dampening… It does make the alarm system sound strange …I guess it could be describe as warbling the alarm. I like it though as before I would walk quickly away from beeping as it was too loud.

I will say the aids are definitely geared toward speech and high frequencies…I had the loud sound dampening on the higher gain one smooth out rather than turned off… It seems like they could save my ears that way. I may ask for a music program to disable some of the speech processing.

I read/thought that one can get better low frequency response from regular molds or cordia tubing then RITE… my audi seemed to think the RITE appropriate for my loss.
Your loss looks to me like regular rubing and molds might be wise. I’m no expert though.

That all said above…I had several audiologists tell me that I would be most comfortable sticking to Oticon as I was comfortable with their algorithms … maybe you should try Starkey…your brain may be used to them.

your audi is correct a rite instrument has a smoother frequency response…
your impresion is right- Vigo connect is a mid price instrument and it uses desition maker 2 (parallel processing- Artificial intelligence) that is it will for example
pick the microphone that yields the best signal to noise ratio. This is how Oticon aids
work now. So your appreciation that the instrument is biased towards speech is correct.

As far as tv, if you get the streamer- connectline TV will solve the issue permantely

Thanks for comments. I now have a Vigo RITE on order. It will probably be here early next week. I’m still amazed at how quick turnaround time is on a hearing aid order is these days. Then again, no ear mold, ITE or CIC to slow down the order.

I’ll remember to discuss compression, etc. and report back what my road test is like.

Love this forum!