Oticon Users: How Do You Like The ON App?

Maybe but I have noticed no real battery loss that I need to worry about
And to be honest the benefits for me out weigh the cost

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the information, Chuck. This, and your suggestion to keep a daily journal are very helpful for me.

[I wish I had been keeping a journal while I was lurking, and especially after I joined this forum.]

[Edit 1 - (:smirk:heh heh … technique copied from @kevels55)

Chuck, you may be right about the battery draw not outweighing the benefit of ON. After 1/2 day without it, I’ve returned the app to active duty. I always have my phone with me, and the app centralizes many useful features handily.

I just wish that it didn’t drop the connection quite so often.]

1 Like

@cvkemp: Chuck, I’m about to report the results of ONE HALF day of unplugging the ON app.

Now, you might say that small a sample is useless, and you wouldn’t be entirely wrong.

HOWEVER …

My humble little More3s have 20% more juice into their batteries at this time of day than is usual when the ON app runs all day.

I’m going to continue to use the app, because I agree with you that the pros offered by the app outweigh the con of reduced battery life.

I’m reporting this simply to provide some evidence to support my contention that the amount of energy used by the app is not trivial.

Maybe the More aids are worse on the batteries than the OPNS1 aids I have. I have my aids connected to my iPhone at all times and I have the ON app on at all times and I have my watch also connected so it can control my aids all the time. I also stream from one or the other TV connect on average of 2.5 hours a day. I am on calls about 1 hour a day, and I get most of the iPhone notification to my hearing aids. I wear my aids on average 15.5 hours a day and at the end of the day I have about 45% of my battery life left.

It all depends on what you want and need I am retired and also was an IT professional with both hardware and software engineering training, my importance isn’t on power drain anymore it is on convenience.

:hushed: Wow! You’re getting much better mileage than I am. I’ve only had my Mores since 3 March. I put them in my ears at 05:45h, but when I retire at between 22:30h and 23:00h, my More3s usually show about 35-37% power left.

I rarely stream, I don’t watch TV, and I might spend an hour or 90 minutes on the phone.

So, you’re beating me with a paddle … I will definitely bring this up with my audi.

I’m retired, too, and have no complaints about the performance of my devices or how much power is left at the end of the day. I know I will run out of steam before the Mores.

I DO NOT possess your technical knowledge, however, and am just ramping up my hearing aid savvy. That said, it just SURPRISES me that the hearing aid app seems to use so much juice.

It seems the More processor is in need of more power, which makes sense seeing what it is capable of. After my Audi visit yesterday I maybe switching to the More 1 aids in a few months. My Audi has scheduled me to come in for a hearing test and to talk about what the VA has to offer after the new contract goes into play the first of May. If I do then I will have away to compare the two different aids. I am sure I would stay with Oticon because I love the sound of the aids even with the ON app downside. I have worn Oticon aids for about 11 years now.

3 Likes

I agree with you on Oticon. They certainly fit my lifestyle and expectations better than Unitron did.

I live in the country, too, and I want to hear the life around me, just like you.

I hope you’re going to have as good an experience with More as I have.

They have made a big difference for me.

1 Like

There is no guarantee that I will get new aids these are less than a year old, but they do have static in the t-coils so that option isn’t available to me without either repairing these aids or maybe upgrading them to the More aids. I guess that will depend on the VA or Oticon or both. I am happy with my aids, I still have issues with female soft voices and females wear mask, I do much better with male voices even with masks on. I would say over all I am understanding about 85% of speech with my aids, which is better than I have ever had, and with the latest adjustments maybe even closer to 90%

:grinning::white_check_mark::+1:t2:Good on ya! I almost pushed back against my audiologist’s recommendation of More3 and insisted on OPN S, based on the outstanding reviews of the latter that I had read.

I’m glad I trusted him - so far, no regrets.

In a way, I’m glad I ended up being an “early adopter” of More: I couldn’t find any objective end-user reviews. In my quest for same, I happened on this site, which has contributed to my successful use of hearing devices in unimaginable ways.

I’m extremely grateful for the Forum, and for members like you who take the time and make the effort to help guys like me out.

2 Likes

:triumph:Sorry: I’m only posting this to vent off some steam. I really am not expecting a reply, as such.

Although I like the ON app for giving me easy access to the controls for my More3s, and also for allowing me to keep precise tabs on my battery status, the Hearing Fitness feature is useless.

I’ve been up and “plugged in” since 05:30h. It’s now 17:30h in my time zone, but ON is saying I’ve only been using my aids for 3 hrs 25 mins.

I haven’t fiddled with any of my iPhone connectivity settings, and I haven’t any idea when my aids were not connected to my phone.

As a consequence, I won’t be able to demonstrate my pattern of usage to my audi. What is annoying me is the unreliability of this app in maintaining a connection, and not the lack of precision in the relatively useless data it’s collecting.

So - there it is - my rant for the day. I honestly don’t think it’s worthy of any serious reply, but it feels good to whinge for a bit!

1 Like

The hearing fitness needs a rebuild, but I have found it most times catches up the next day for the previous day. I have it enabled but I realize it will not give me today’s information until tomorrow or even the next day if ever

1 Like

I’m interested in tracking my usage because I was using my (ill-fitted) Unitrons less and less, and I noticed the corresponding decline in my word recognition.

Since March 3, I’ve been assiduous in wearing my aids for 14-15 hours a day, and I have already noticed an improvement in my word recognition - even when I’m not wearing the More3s.

That further reinforces in my mind the correctness of Oticon’s notion that our brains learn to focus on and decode the sounds of speech, even when the neural signal sent to the brain by the ears is less than perfect.

1 Like

Another reason to have a journal.

1 Like

There’s the proof, Chuck! Proof!:white_check_mark::+1:t2:

1 Like

I have gone digital with my journal with “Day One”
It is available on IOS and macros not sure about any other systems

I still prefer my fountain pens and good vellum, thanks!

[Not real vellum! Paper vellum!!]

1 Like

My hand writting has always been very bad, I am left handed and my first grade teacher tried to force me to write right handed, until my dad put the fear of God into her.

1 Like

:rofl:Left handers who try to write with fountain pens end up a MESS!

[Good for your father!]

2 Likes

Your hearing loss looks a bit more severe than cvkemp’s so if you both had the same listening environment, your aids (if they consumed power at the same rate for the same amount of input and amplification) would require more power. But if you listen to more sound than cvkemp, that would require more power, too. Usually on the standardization datasheet for a HA that gives amplification under standard reference input conditions and battery usage hours, there is a disclaimer that usage hours a user can achieve depends on hearing loss, environmental sound levels over time, etc. OTH, cvkemp does more streaming - so it is a pretty qualitative comparison between users. I don’t know whether you can tell the difference but your left ear requires a little bit more power than the right (less hearing loss there) so it would be interesting, since they both have ~the same listening environment and they are both the same model HA, I presume, whether the right always does a little bit better on battery drainage than the left? (I have a slighter loss difference between ears and my audi claimed my left would drain faster - but in my experience it’s more a function of the individual HA body I’ve been given - some left Quattro’s have done better than others).

2 Likes

@jim_lewis: You’re exactly right, jim, and I’m very grateful for your reply. I’ve read many of your posts, and I understand why you’re considered a respected community member.

I haven’t fully digested your input, because I am in town and busy with appointments.

But I wanted to make a quick reply because I was so pleased to see that you responded to my query.

Thank you, @jim_lewis!

1 Like