Oticon TV Adapter 3.0 movie issue

I have this adapter and Oticon Opn 2 aids and I love them. They work very well and the sound is excellent. I’m playing Blu-ray movies through an XBox One into my TV and have a Toslink connection to the TV Adapter. Everything works great EXCEPT some movies. It’s bizarre. The previews work. The special features work fine. But when the movie stars, the Adapter shows the “invalid signal” red light. Has anyone else experienced this?

I imagine it is DRM.

A bit of experimentation and I have more data…
If I change the audio output of the movie to stereo, the Adapter transmits the sound. Apparently it’s unable to understand or convert the 5.1 or 7.1 that is transmitted to the TV or the audio receiver.
Unfortunately for anyone else in the room, they have to listen to a degraded audio stream.

Have you tried connecting the TV Adapter to your TV via RCA Left/Right cable instead of TOSLINK?

Not yet. I’ll give that a shot.

Unfortunately, the ONLY audio out on my TV is Toslink. Sigh.

I presume that your TV is not capable of processing 5.1 or 7.1 sounds anyway. So I assume that your BlueRay movies go to a sound system of some sort? Perhaps that sound system has RCA output or your BluRay box has RCA outputs?

No, the TV seems to have no problem with them. The devices connect to the TV via HDMI and play on its speakers just fine. The TOSLINK output passes through the Oticon adapter to an AV receiver and it plays 5.1 and 7.1 without issue. It’s only the adapter itself that seems to have a problem.

Fixed it!
When I changed the digital output on the TV from Auto to PCM, everything worked perfectly.
I hope someone else benefits from this information.

1 Like

Yeah, PCM is basically digital stereo, not 5.1 nor 7.1. So your TV is still playing in 5.1 or 7.1 then output Toslink to digital stereo PCM? I find it interesting that a regular TV can play 5.1 or 7.1 because most of them only have 2 speakers for stereo play back. Unless it has speaker outlet for 5 or 7 channels.