Oticon Speech Rescue efficacy

I use two Oticon Dynamo SP8. My audiogram completely ends at 3 kHz at right ear and at 2 kHz at left ear. So I switched on Speech Rescue in my HA’s (I have own programming hardware). Now I can hear tonal sounds and “coloured” (white, pink, etc.) noises from 4 kHz to 7 kHz. But I cannot hear “S” sound in real speech even with first SR configuration and with highest level. Why is it if I can hear tonal and noisy sounds from same frequencies?

Perhaps the frequency is lowered so much that it does not sound like an “s” anymore.

1 Like

Maybe, but my limits are 3 and 2 kHz, so I cannot hear above these frequencies.

That is a very difficult loss, and frequency compression certainly is warranted. However, it does just that, lower the frequency to a range where your ear can hear it. But it will not hear it at the original frequency and the sound of that frequency. It will be changed to the lower frequency. It may be something you will adjust to over time.

I know this. But I can hear electronically synthesized tonal and noisy sounds from same frequencies of “S” sound, but not real speech “S” sound. Exactly this is my main interest. I can hear something as air flow when I speak “S”, and whistling air flow when speak “SH”. But from other people I cannot hear neither “S” nor “SH”. So I think - maybe SR or/and Oticon Dynamo are too weak for me?

Here are my settings (with Genie interface in Russian language).

If I am looking at this right, you need to lower the frequency more into your hearing range.
I use Phonak sound recover 2 with the cut off point a .9 hertz.

No, it’s a final lowering point at left ear and one above final at right ear.

I had to go much lower than the software recommend to get the high frequency sounds coming in. Are you stopping at recommended cut off?

No me stopping lowering, but software :smile: This scale with steps 2.4, 2.5, 2.8, 3.1… under graphs is a lowering slider. More left position is a lower setting.

The newer Phonak aids will go much lower. Works very well fo me. Looking at your audiogram you also need to go much lower.

Unfortunately I prefer Oticon. Phonak sounds as through pillow for me.

Yeah, we each have likes and dislikes.
Phonak Sound Recover 2 would help you and Oticon Speech Rescue won’t.

I will not move from Oticon to Phonak for SoundRecover 2 only.

1 Like

When I first got into aids and self programming I wanted to get the best aids. Oticon and Phonak were the obvious choices at the time. Both softwares are on my laptop. Decided to go Phonak.

When your speech recognition gets bad enough you will do what is needed to hear again. At this time the Phonak Sound Recover 2 is the best but Oticon will be right there soon enough.

No Siemens/Signia? I have always thought Siemens aids had the best sound.

Fords and Chevys opinions.
My daddy is bigger than yours.
It goes on and on.
I still think Phonak and Oticon are the best but there ya go.
:grinning:

Care to elaborate?
Not arguing about it. Just interested. :slightly_smiling_face:

Not really.
I have read a bunch on this forum over the years. There are members from all over the world. Oticon and Phonak have a much better record here. The rest of the name brands have hit and miss records.
I buy used aids and want aids that are reliable. Phonak and Oticon do well in this arena, especially Phonak.
I guess I did elaborate.

You did! :rofl:

Thanks.