Oticon Real 1 challenges

I had problems with “ringing” (warbling?) and it turned out to be a new feature for reducing feedback. Setting it to low reduced it, but we had to disable the feature completely for the ringing to stop.

1 Like

You have a choice - either a whistling or warbling.

No issues for me fortunately. Disabling the feature helped and introduced no other issues.

If you must disable the new Oticon Optimizer Feedback completely because Low is not enough to minimize the warbling you hear because even at Low, the warbling is still distracting enough, and because you now disable the Optimizer Feedback Management feature completely now, you start getting feedback, then you still have the option of going back to using the traditional Feedback Shield. Just run the Feeedback Analyzer and then enable it.

I think traditional Feedback Shield is a second layer of Optimizer - they are both united to one function and cannot be switched on or off independently.

In the Oticon whitepaper that introduced the OpenSound Optimizer, it positions it as a proactive approach to feedback prevention, but it doesn’t exclude the traditional Feedback Shield LX out of the picture. See the first screenshot below that shows the differences between the old way on the left and the new way on the right. Note that the new way still have the Feedback Shield LX functionality intact and not removed.

Did you try to go to the Feedback Analyzer (as seen available in the second screenshot below) and try to run it then enable it? The Feedback Analyzer needs to be run first before the (traditional) Feedback Shield can be enabled. As you can see, in the screenshot, I opted for the Real HAs and the Feedback Analyzer still remains in the menu just fine, which implies that it’s still available. I just don’t have the More or Real to actually try it out. But when you have the OPN S or More or Real connected to Genie 2, you should be able to run the Feedback Analyzer and enable it (aka the Feedback Shield LX feature) just like before.

In theory I think that’s how it’s supposed to work. But if you’re a DIY and you find that in practice you cannot enable the traditional Feedback Shield LX when you turn the Feedback Management setting to OFF for good in either the OPN S or More or Real, then I’ll defer to your observation. But then the question is why would they still leave the Feedback Analyzer option in there then?

They do both work for the More, and I’d assume the Real, as well.
Turning off Open Sound Optimizer limits feedback, and Shield LX further reduces, but does not completely eliminate it in all cases (I mean mine).