Oticon Programming Help

hello, I recently purchased a pair of Oticon Xceed 1 BTE UP. I went with Oticon’s because of my less than satisfactory results of previous 2 generations of Phonaks. I’ve seen numerous audiologists, tried Resounds, Phonaks, Unitrons, and have settled with these Oticons. I was born hard of hearing, I have a reverse slope loss. It has been a challenge ever since digital hearing aids have come about. My social life has diminished since digital. My analog hearing aids we simple, reliable, easy, sounded great. But I cannot for the life of me socialize with digital aids. The last 15 years I avoid social settings. I want to hear again but no one can seem to help me. I have decided to try and tweak my audiologists settings with Genie. First, what are the differences with Oticons programs, DSE, DSE-LIN, VAC, NAL, DSL??? Secondly, I don’t want directionality, I’d like to hear 360 degrees. There doesn’t seem to be an option for that? I see Open Auto, Full Directional and Pinna Omni. What are the difference between these 3? Today at work, I had them in Open Auto, when I was walking away from a conversation, I couldn’t hear unless I was facing the person, so if they were calling me while walking away the aids weren’t picking it up and I look stupid. There was clearly a radius they were focusing on and I need to hear it all. If someone is behind me on a scissor lift I want to hear so I don’t get run over. It’s a safety thing. Also can anyone tell me what happens if I select re-prescribe? Will that erase all data? Thanks for any help, Jeff

This will allow you to hear 360. Omni is 360 and pinna is the effect of the shape of the ear.

They want it be as natural to hearing through the ear so most manufactures have made a setting which should sound like hearing from the ear and taking in consideration of the shape of the ear.

These are different fitting formulas which will program the hearing aids differently. A lot of people like the VAC setting with Oticon’s, I like the DSL setting myself.

Ok perfect, I’m trying pinna Omni today. As for the programs (dse, dsl, vac, etc), any insight on the functions of those programs? I cannot find any detailed info on those, what makes them different? I’m just trying to figure out which delivery is most suitable for my situation.

Thank you,
Jeff

Everyone is different so we couldn’t tell you.

They are not programs, they are fitting formulas.

When you select a different formula and re-calculate, you’ll see that your gain/compression and other things changes. You’ll have to try them for a few days and find out yourself

So when I select a formula, the gains and compressions that appear, are those supposed to be suitable with the audiogram on file? Is that the idea?

Yes they’ll be appropriate for your audiogram but each formula has their own idea as to what is better.

For my OPN the VAC+ has more automated options to set up the hearing aid. I believe it is Oticon’s proprietary formula. I have tried all of them and always keep going back to VAC+.

They all sound awful on my aids

@jte

How long have you tried each one? You need to give it a while.

I’ve had em like 2 months now. My audiologist gave them to me, dialed them in with REM. And that sounded like crap and he only tried dse & dse Lin. He didn’t want to explore any others. I couldn’t wear them the first week. So I got the Noah link and I have P1 dse, p2 dse Lin, p3 vac+, p4 comfort as of late. I work in construction. But with all the programs, I either get a headache or can’t hear. I tried the nal nl2, dsl, for awhile, but as of late I have had the best luck with the current setup I described.

@jte

Maybe you need a new hearing test which can be done via the software and start from scratch?

Is that done with the in-situ?

Yes

:slight_smile:

Ok great, thank you. I appreciate the support. You’ve been very helpful. Gonna try that this weekend

1 Like

@jte

Keep us updated.

I’m not understanding how the in-situ audiogram works. Could you enlighten me? Does it automatically start? I don’t see anything to initiate a test? I didn’t hear anything either.

@jte

Maybe @Volusiano could help as I don’t actually have the Oticon software? I have the Phonak software which I’ve used since 2011.

First; you can click Preferences/Edit Preferences/IN-SITU AUDIOMETRY to choose/change defaults

At the Fitting Step Click the (v-down arrow) to show MORE TOOLS (pardon the pun)
Select the (In-situ Audiometry) Tool

Now you can click around to select various options and click “Play Tone” that you can hear or not hear in you right or left ear.

Also you can use (Genie2/Help/Help on Genie 2), type in-situ into the search window and Click Enter

You can hover over (Play Tone) to eliminate mouse click sounds :wink:

I completed the in-situ test, what a world of difference from the audi prescribed fittings. These results were great right from the start, in all 3 programs. I might like these hearing aids now. I’m running DSE in P1, DSE-LIN in P2, VAC+ in P3, and comfort in P4 but it’s everything I was missing before. Now just need to decide on which formula to use between the 3

1 Like