Oticon, Phonak, ReSound, Oticon (or my hearing journey thus far)

This what I meant. I am on trial with OPN S1 and before with S3 and the difference is night/day on background noise and speak clarity ( regardless of the warbling and feedback).
This gave the guide to just try the M90 ( next Wednesday)

1 Like

Solid choices. I have to say, this is exactly why I’ve come to appreciate these forums so much. Being able to find out others’ experiences with different aids, which can help direct your own trial for new aids and even troubleshooting any issues that you might have.

1 Like

One thing I would add, and I’m sure a lot of you know this, to add a cautionary note, is that a well programmed mid level device will beat the pants off a badly programmed premium device. Sure, as in the case of my Oticon BTE aids from 2014, they don’t have the smooth bluetooth functionality or some of the other bells and whistles of the latest premiums - rechargeability, motion sensors etc etc, but after I had REM performed, they provided a deep, rich, beautiful sound, that even now I like to hear, and will swap over to, eschewing my Phonak V70s. In the last 15 years, having REM was the single biggest factor that contributed to an improvement in my hearing - not necessarily all the technology upgrades.

4 Likes

Great point @glucas! REM is critical for a proper setup and something I have requested and had done for all of the aids I’ve tried. Hopefully everyone is able to receive REM setup HA from their provider so that they can ensure proper tuning and that they are hearing as well as they can be.

1 Like

@BrianMB : Did your audiologist and you found a way around the warbling/trilling/robotic S1 sound?

Nope, Not as yet. Definitely something I’ll keep bringing forward until we do though.

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but after reading tons of threads here and receiving my Noahlink, I just turned off the Feedback Shield P3 option in Genie 2 and the warbling instantly stopped…will go put myself in different situations today to see if it is really gone…

Rabbit trails are a good thing. Often where a lot of good knowledge comes to the light! (see above re: wind noise)

I’d refine that a bit and say that a premium device is very worthwhile for some people. Neville has commented before that many people can’t tell the difference but some people benefit a lot. He says the unfortunate thing is that he has no ability to predict who will fall into which group.

3 Likes

OPN S warbling issue are caused by the feedback shield. You will need to switch it off and the warbling will stop . But will have to suffer of feedback (terrible in my case)

@AshFan @vincenthuard

Next appointment, I’ll be sure to bring some other domes which are less feedback prone and see what happens when we turn off the feedback management. Maybe time to look at getting custom moulds if I’m going to wear OPN S without the new feedback management enabled.

Reading this thread shows just how important hearing aid programming is and how most modern hearing aids are very good.
Also the OP gained hearing aid experience as he went from aid to aid. His brain learned as he went along getting better and better.

All the aids tested are probably excellent aids. They just have to be programmed properly and the wearer needs time wearing them to learn.

The wireless and Bluetooth technologies are the differences. Ease of use with these technologies for an individuals needs would matter.

3 Likes

brain learned as he went along

Definitely. more so learning to filter out the ambient noises that everyone else takes for granted. Having improved hearing after the first month, I missed wearing the HA when I had the ear pain with the Phonaks (again dome fitment issues, not a problem with the aids themselves).

All aids tested probably excellent - programmed properly.
Wireless and bluetooth tech are the differences.

That they are, no disputing that. Well programmed aids do make a huge difference compared to first fit, or wrongly programmed.
I would put forth that the more open philosophy of Oticon would set them apart from others that are more directional. Unless that again can be brought back to programming?

Edit:
I would also hope, with this thread, that others are able to follow a similar path as I have. Talk to their hearing professional and trial a variety of aids, have them programmed properly and make their decision as I am, by finding the HA that works best and also fits for them. If it weren’t for the fitment issue with the Quattro, my decision would be much, much harder for which HA to go with

2 Likes

I have the Phonak M90-R. I have set WhistleBlock = OFF only for my Music Program. This way I have no whistle problem in ordinary use and most importantly, if I’m listening to music or playing my piano, there is no irritating warble/tremolo. Music sounds like it should.

Phonak Marvels were my choice because I use an Android phone and I didn’t want to have to wear an intermediate device around my neck to stream music.

Haha!! Finally was able to make my way to see the audiologist and Bob’s your uncle. Disable feedback shield and no more warbling when I whistle. I’ll find out when I visit with my niece and nephews if it’s gone when they talk.

Also took an impression today of the left ear for a custom mould which hopefully helps deal with the feedback I’ve been experiencing. So that should be here in another 2 weeks or so and then should be good to go!

Excellent! I’m glad it worked for you too! I can report 1 month later that I’m still good! (no warbling!)

I actually have 2 program…my program by default has the feedback shield disabled and when I want to put headphones over my ears, I switch to my P2 that is identical but with the feedback shield on.

Anti-feedback is done with phase-shifting. In guitar pedals a distantly related scheme is used for vibrato (“Phaser”). It warbles the guitar. Feedback in an aid will often be much higher pitch than guitar and thus “unnatural”. An aggressive anti-feedback may have less musical judgement than a guitarist.

Of course any high-gain boost is liable to “need” anti-feedback. Are there several choices of algorithm? Then they may have offered you a choice of less squeal or less warble.

Yes. Most manufacturers feedback shield (special OTICON) is so aggressive with sounds as whistling, extended letters like O O O , baby crying and so on. Shutting it off will stop it but you will have to watch for your feedback( I suffered continuous one on my left and the Audi couldn’t adjust With OPN )
But the Marvel feedback is really good and although there is warbling it’s really so low that sometimes I can not notice

The nice thing about the Marvel for me, a classical pianist, is that I can totally turn off WhistelBlock ONLY on my Music Program. Music is now totally clean and real sounding. WhistleBlock is active everywhere else. Since Marvel is my first HA, I’d like to know if other manufacturers can do the same selective whistle blocking?

There are only 4 basic (configurable) programs allowed in the ReSound Smart 3D app at one time. With the fitting software, feedback control can be adjusted or turned off separately in any program. The settings are Off, Mild, Moderate, Strong, or Music for ReSound Quattro’s and other recent vintage ReSound HA’s -and my three everyday programs (All-Around, Restaurant, and Outdoors) are set to Mild feedback control (with occlusive domes, I don’t really need any control) and the Music program is set to the music feedback setting but I could turn it off if I wanted to. Apparently with the music feedback setting, ReSound is still on the lookout for true feedback but giving musical tones more free reign and not cutting in with feedback control unless things get extreme.

The following are links to a ReSound web summary of feedback control and music and a ReSound white paper on music and feedback control - the end of the paper has a number of references to studies of hearing aids and music listening - but most of the references date from 2004 to 2009 and even though the PDF creation date is 8/29/18, seems like an older version of ReSound’s fitting software (Aventa) is being discussed: Hearing aids ReSound - dfs-digital-feedback-suppression

https://www.resoundpro.com/~/media/REFRESH/US/00-DOWNLOADS/Whitepapers/MK605174_WP_DFSUltraIIandMusicMode.ashx

ReSound’s Explanation of Feedback in Music Mode vs no Feedback Control at all (from the white paper, 2nd link above):

Music Mode is distinct from other settings of DFS Ultra
II because it analyzes the input sound over a longer
period of time. This allows for better accuracy in distinguishing
true feedback from other tonal input sounds,
such as those commonly found in music. Music often
incorporates signals such as flute and piano notes that
can seem very pure-tone-like, and can be confused
as feedback by the hearing aid. Traditional feedback
systems will try to cancel these sounds, thereby introducing
a disturbing, often tonal sound artifact. Music
Mode was designed to effectively reduce this artifact
occurrence. As a result, the feedback cancellation
component of Music Mode is less likely to adapt to
rapid changes in the feedback path. Music Mode is
considered a less-aggressive feedback cancellation
setting than other settings of DFS Ultra II, and was
designed exclusively to enhance the music-listening
experience

The white paper claims to show a modest improvement in actual HA receiver physical sound output quality in music feedback control mode over having no feedback control at all and claims that the results correlate with surveyed audiophile comments solicited on users listening to music with various ReSound feedback settings or with no feedback control at all.

Edit_Update: Another interesting aspect of the ReSound white paper on music listening with their HA’s is that it emphasizes listening to music with the HA’s set to an omnidirectional mode. So that’s a further reason beyond feedback cancellation for switching to a music program from any other HA program that might have a directional listening component for speech.

1 Like