Oticon OPN1 connection to Android phone problems

I’m testing the OPN. I’m not an Iphone fan. I borrowed one to test the OPN1 streaming. For music it is useless, sound quality is so miserable. I bought an JBL headphone, with that and the OPN I can enjoy music.
So what is left is phone and remote settings. For phone I can manage just using my android phone without streaming.
So I thought, why not keep the Android phone and use that as remote settings tool.
With the IPhone that works fine. First try shows my android phone is to old version, Needs Android 6. So I grabbed my wife’s phone, a Motorola moto G4. It has Android 7. Well app starts fine, but connecting the phone is a bad experience. It wants to connect one side, and waits until it connects the other side. After half an hour trying, I managed to get two sides connecting, but then it goes to the next step and it connects again, if it wants. After another hour I managed to get it connected as it should. But the phone goes out once in a while so I tried what happens, not connected, and same misery to get it working, I stopped there, Not useable. Software in the opn is 4.0.0
Are there good experiences with other Android phones, that work any time smooth?

There is no direct streaming through Android phones anyway so the only use for the ON app via Android is program change and volume control which is doable via the buttons without the ON app anyway. The ONLY thing you’d need the ON app for, that you can’t do with the buttons on the OPN is for IFTTT. So I never bothered with the ON app when I had my Samsung Note 4 before I switched to an iPhone 7 Plus for direct streaming with the OPN.

But, for what it’s worth, I had no problem connecting my Samsung Note 4 with the OPNs via the ON app. It’s a little slow sometimes but it always connected. The only time when it becomes unreliable is when the OPN battery was low. And that was OPN firmware 2.0 even.

And it’s already expected that the OPN music streaming should only be fair and no competition to something like a quality heaphones. But I wouldn’t categorize it as miserable, unless you wear open domes so all of the lows and a bit of the mids will leak out of your domes, making it sound tinny. But that’s not the fault of the receivers, it’s your vented domes (if that’s what you’re wearing). With my closed bass dome with a single tiny vent, the streamed music from the OPN is acceptable and convenient enough. If I want to hear quality bass I’d still have to resort to a quality pair of headphones.

1 Like

My own thoughts on using ANY phone for music listening is … just DON’T! You will likely get crappy MP3 quality audio anyway.

Much better to just invest in good headphones and plug them in to your laptop. Granted, that is not exactly “portable” listening!

I bought a pair of high quality Sennhieser headphones at Amazon.com that work beautifully with my laptop. In fact, I bought them to actually STREAM phone calls with my Android Samsung cell phone - this was used for MONTHS until Oticon released their Clip-on Streamer. The headphones let me stream phone calls hands-free in stereo.

NOT exactly the optimum, sleek phone streaming solution, but that was my only option till I threw in the towel and traded my Oticon Opn miniRITE aids for Phonak Audeo B-Direct aids.

Well I gave up on Android, and bought a used Iphone 7 today. I must say in the short time I have it, it has made no mistakes, and sound is ok.
My Audi told me there will be firmware 4.1 coming out to support the connectclip that seems to come in short time.

I did the same thing earlier this year and bought myself a used iPhone 7 plus for the OPN. I prefer Android but I was willing to switch to the iPhone for the direct streaming convenience