Oticon OPN1 are the same than any model of Bernafon

if you think a feature means 1:1 the same hardwarw without cut downs or changes, I wouldn’t agree, too much simplification.

The Velox has a rich set of features and certain performance, just the MFI functionality is a mere component of the Velox as a whole.

Prove the hardware is different as a consumer? alot of research and luck, if they share that with consumers. I wouldn’t asume it based on similarities in the industry as a whole(chip market) and experience as a consumer.

I would simply test them both and look at the datasheet.

The software determines what hardware is used. That is true with every line. Bernafon even has 5 levels instead of the more normal 3. Based on what Costco does, it buys the premium brand without tinnitus control and in some case without remote reprogramming.

Costco says it sell a premium grade and are among the leaders in customer service and support. It seems unlikely they would lie.

The source of the claims that they aren’t the premium level aid originate from factory reps and their company – less than stellar in my view.

Nobody has said they are the same. The branding and the software are different. Everybody acknowledges it.

You said it wasn’t the Velox platform. You were wrong and now are trying to change the subject.

That’s not true. MFI is not exclusive to the Velox platform. Like I’ve shown in the previous post, MFI is part of the 2.4 GHz BT LE IC. This chip can easily be shared with the Sonic SoundDNA platform and the Bernafon Channel platform. This 2.4GHz BTLE IC is only a very small part of the Velox platform. The main part of the Velox platform is the DSP IC which supports the OPN OpenSound Navigator DSP technology. This meat of the Velox platform is NOT shared with the Sonic SoundDNA nor the Bernafon Channel platforms.

Software determines hardwarew? Software can run on different hardware, hardware dertermines perfromance. Why would the Software be the same, just because of MFi?

what does premium grade have to do with anything? It might the premium version of Bernafone, and that might be worse than OPN by design…

Based on what you’re saying I fail to understand why you would think that Costco sells OPNs under the bernafone name.

Volusiano already tried to explain that the sonic enchant are too a derivate of the OPN, but not the same as the OPN.

Why is it the Velox platform? Why wouldn’t there be changes in the hardware and only software? What makes you say that, you sound kinda ignorant to me.

It is “worse” than OPN by design. That isn’t the argument. They are completely different in performance/software. Octicon doesn’t want them to be the same. It would defeat their marketing.

But, I doubt the hardware is in any way different. It makes no economic sense to make multiple hardware runs at greater cost. So, it is all done in software. I never said otherwise.

You said it wasn’t the same hardware and that is either wrong or unproven.

The bottom line is that it’s irrelevant if the Bernafon has the same Velox platform that is used by the OPN or not (although I still maintain that it does not).

The bottom line is that the Bernafon does not have or use the OpenSound Navigator DSP technology the OPN uses. Whether or not this is software based or hardware based is irrelevant. The Bernafon will VERY UNLIKELY sound like the OPN. This is assuming that the Bernafon Zerena uses similar technologies that the Sonic Enchant uses. And I do have first hand experience that the Sonic Enchant sounds nothing like the OPN.

you started an argument over my statement : " there might be cut downs, best try both"

which proves the fact that you’re being an silly old man.

You claim all brands use the same Hardware and only change the software, an that is either wrong or unproven.

The only thing I disputed was your saying it wasn’t on the Velox (hadware) platform. I never said the software was the same. In fact, everyone acknowledges the software is different.

And, I wasn’t the person that said, that difference don’t appear whether or not you said try both. I said it used the same hardware. Unless someone can prove otherwise, that remains the point I was making.

1 Like

how can you make that point? and why are you allowed to make such a point and claim everybody is wrong unless they have proof?

Where’s your proof that the hardware is the same?

It’s kinda a point to make based on specualtion and hard to debate, especially since you don’t give the Bernafone name or some datasheets.

1 Like

Where is the proof it isn’t? It came out with MFi capability and that change indicates a new platform.

Hell, it isn’t a big deal until you try to make it one.

1 Like

tell that yourself, too. Then I’m happy.

This “ignorant old man” is happy that you are happy. It makes my ignorant day. Now go turn another mole hill into a mountain.

2 Likes

you having a hard time in your life?

I’ll leave it to others to decide. I haven’t personalize the discussion. You are the expert at that.

You can have the last word.

2 Likes

You seem to be the one that is angry and throwing insults at people.

1 Like

why shouldn’t I, giving the context in this thread and from where it started. You wanna debate a guy with those quirky viewpoints? that’s the kind of thing everybody would say living in his own bubble in lala land.

I disagree entirely with this statement. The OpenSound Navigator (OSN), the OPN core DSP software algorithm, has everything to do with the DSP IC Oticon uses in the Velox platform. Without this DSP IC hardware that was built from scratch specifically to support the OSN signal processing software, the OPN wouldn’t have been able to implement its open sound paradigm.

All you have to do is Google the Oticon Velox Platform whitepaper and read it yourself to understand how critical this hardware is in order to support what Oticon wants to implement in the OPN OSN software.

1 Like

Against my better judgement, I’m joining the fray. I’d agree with Volusiano that the Velox platform was designed for the Oticon Opn. If I understand correctly, the same hardware is used for all 3 versions of Opn: 1,2, and 3. The only difference is software.

Considering we’re talking the same overall company producing Oticon, Sonic and Bernafon and that the hearing aids look very similar, I don’t find it much of a stretch to believe that they use the same chip as the Velox and use significantly different programming. They are programmable computer chips. Just because it was designed for the Opn doesn’t mean it can’t be programmed very differently.

What are the other options? They design another chip for the Bernafon and Sonic? Seems unlikely for such a relatively small company. I’m guessing the cost of making the chips is actually quite low. Other options: they use one of their older chips (Inium Sense perhaps) and combine it with their bluetooth chip? Perhaps they buy some generic hearing aid chip?

I have no idea, but gut says that using Velox platform for all likely makes economic sense, but I’m just speculating, as I believe everybody else is.

1 Like