Oticon OPN S 1 vs Unitron Moxi Fit - What am I missing?

I read in the Oticon OpenSound Optimizer (OSO, the new feedback prevention technology) that for OPN S with the OSO, Oticon recommends you turn off the (traditional) Feedback Shield and only turn it on if the OSO is not enough to help prevent feedback in the first place. Looks like your audi was not heeding this advice and turned on Feedback Shield for you in the first place. Most traditional feedback managers like Feedback Shield uses strategies like slight frequency shifting as well as phase shifting and gain reduction to help combat feedback. That’s probably why things might have sounded more robotic to you.

I find the VAC+ Oticon proprietary fitting rationale to sound the most natural with the OPN, so if you’re happy with how it sounds right now, I wouldn’t try to change it to the other standard fitting rationales. The mfg come up with their own proprietary fitting rationale because they know their hearing aids better than anyone else and so they come up with a (their own) fitting rationale that they think would work best for their own hearing aids. I wouldn’t deviate from this unless you’re not happy with the VAC+. But you can certainly try the other standard fitting rationales if you want to see how they compare. It’s easy to do, just make a copy of P1 to P2, P3, and P4, and in each of those non-P1, select a different fitting rationale for them. Then you can toggle back and forth between the programs to see which one you like the best. For me with my very bad ski slope hearing loss, I still find the VAC+ to be the most natural sounding one, but I find the DSL V5.0 Adult to give me a sharper edge on the high end sounds to help me with better speech clarity when I really need it.

Hi @Volusiano,

I checked this afternoon and I was actually fitted with NAL1. Not with VAC+.
Would trying VAC+ requires different “gain” value? Or I can just copy my NAL1 program?

Not really. You just make a copy of the default program (which I assumed has been changed to NAL-NL1 to P2 or something like that and change P2 to VAC+ in the Program Manager -> General -> VAC+.

I’m a little surprised that your audi took the deliberate effort to modify the default program’s fitting rational from VAC+ to NAL-NL1 in the first place. Most people would use the mfg’s proprietary fitting rationale first, which is set as the default, because the presumption here is that the mfg know their hearing aids the best, and if they’ve come up with the trouble of using their own proprietary fitting rationale that is supposedly best suited for their brand of hearing aids, that’s what should be tried first.

I personally find the VAC+ to sound the most natural. The NAL-NL1 is a bit sharper for my taste, and while I resort to it when I find a challenging speech in noise environment, I prefer to stay with the VAC+ 99% of the times.

For people with reverse hearing loss slope, the Oticon VAC+ fitting rationale does some stuff to the gain that is counter-intuitive yet very effective based on their research. So some folks with reverse slope loss actually seek out the Oticon OPN for its VAC+ fitting rationale.

Tried the VAC+ for a few days and definitely prefer NL1.

Had to try :slight_smile:

Did you try NAL-NL2 and DSL v5.0 Adult as well? If yes, did you still like NAL-NL1 the best? I wonder if one may tend to be biased to the first rationale that one has exposed to and has gotten used to just because they’ve developed a taste to it.

I have not, but I will give it a try at some point in the coming weeks.