Oticon Opn Programming

When you try to listen to music in a quiet room with no external noise, I would suggest doing A/B comparison between your Alta and OPN to see how they compare, especially on the low ends where you perceive the muffling. Also it’d be interesting to pay attention to the bass performance between the left and right HA, just because your right hearing in the lows is much worse than your left, and I didn’t hear from you what size receivers you were fitted with the OPN. If it were the 85db receiver, it’d be under sized for your right hearing and for sure the 85db receiver won’t be able to give you enough bass amplification for your right ear.

The perception of the aid seems to be favoring some sounds above others maybe due to its constant scanning and rebalancing of sounds that it detects, depending the origin and distance of the sounds relative to where you are. It may also take a while for your brain hearing to adjust and get in sync with and get used to how the OPN does the rebalancing so that you can find it more and more natural over time.

With regards to your being strong and wearing it all day rather than giving up, I think you’re having the right attitude here and I think it’s critical to have the right attitude to get the most success out of the OPN. Some people may not like to have to deal with too many noise sources and come to dislike the fact that they have to hear everything and expect a premium HA to be able to snuff out the noises for them. These people won’t be successful with the OPN because that’s not how the OPN is designed with that kind of noise reduction in mind. Other folks embrace the ability to hear everything (including what they consider noise) and strive to learn to focus on what they want to hear and tune out what they don’t want to hear with their brain. On top of that, they also try to get as much opportunity to expose themselves to difficult listening environments as possible so their brain hearing will have more chances to learn and adjust. These folks will probably be more successful with the OPN and maybe will have a shorter period of adjustment as well.

OK, back after using the hearing aid for a month. Hearing aid is largely working out except that when I am in a room with a fan (summer is here!), the fan seems to dominate all of the sounds the OPN is bringing in and I have to fight in my brain to discern what a person is saying, more so than I did with my previous Oticon Alta. I do now have a second program that has more directional settings and that seems to be helping some but still need to work with the audiologist to fine tune this stuff. Any suggestions for what to tweak on Genie would be appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!

Adjust the simple noise reduction to max and see if that helps with the fan noise

I agree with Tony (Abarsanti) that you should ask your audi to turn on the noise reduction to maximum in both your default setting and your directional program. Sometimes the noise reduction mode might have been set to medium only. But I would clarify to set your expectation correctly that this will not reduce the fan noise when there’s no speech. But it should reduce the noise to help improve speech clarity when speech is started until speech is stopped. But after speech is stopped, you’ll hear the fan noise again just the same if there’s no speech.

Please, do not support updating OPN through the device FittingLink ?

Firmware updates CANNOT be done with FittingLink (it can with ExpressLink, though, or with one of the various Hi-Pro’s)

You sure about ExpressLink’s ability to update OPN’s FirmWare?

Here’s a link to >>Oticon Firmware Updater<< tool that says specifically, “Make sure that instruments are connected to the computer with a cable (HI-PRO 2 is recommended)”.

My OPN 1’s were updated today from FW2 to FW4 using an Expess Link 3 by an Oticon rep at my audi’s office. Took 2-3 minutes with wired connection. First time I had seen an ExpressLink3. I think it replaced ExpressLink, which may or may not work.

OIC, I was thinking that EXPRESSlink3 was Wireless. It’s not. It’s a wired programming device (see picture below). Thanks for updating my view about what can be used to update OPN’s FirmWare.

1 Like

I have my own Expresslink 3.0 and updated my firmware from 2.0 to 4.0 a couple of weeks ago. As Shellboy mentioned, it only takes a couple of minutes and is easy to do as long as you have a wired connection to something like an Expresslink (or a Hi-Pro). The Genie software checks to see if a firmware update is available and then prompts you to update it using the included firmware updater.

There is a change in the sound OPN, after the update?
My feeling, my ALTA 2 PRO sounds nicer than OPN
The sound is very different :frowning:

Who updated your firmware (you, your Audi)? Here’s a link to >>Oticon Firmware Updater<< tool that says,
After the update. Note that updated instruments will be returned to factory settings. Do not give the instruments to the client before restoring user settings.”

Was the programming (for your specific Audiogram) saved before the FirmWare update and restored after the FirmWare update?

I need to purchase HI-PRO, I have only FittingLINK,
I want to know if there are audio improvements after the update?
I’m waiting for an opinion :slight_smile:

Hahaha, I thought you were saying there was a change in sound after your firmware update.

In general, Firmware updates are to fix glitches, such as iPhone connection glitches. I wouldn’t expect the hearing aids to sound any different after a Firmware update. Unless, maybe it was something like un-muted noise during audio switching.

Also, you generally use/need FittingLink 3.0 or a miniPro/Hi Pro, but not both?

Click on the links in my signature line for help with that, or right here for newbies who can’t view signature links.
>>Links for Hearing Aid Self Programming and Self Programmers<<

I started a new thread for >>How to program the Oticon Opn<< in the DIY section.

1 Like

update the firmware you need to buy miniPro/Hi Pro, Looking for on ebay.com

You also need CS44 cables and Flexstrips. The mini Pro sells on AliExpress, not EBay.

Question to everyone, have a long program switch? OPN

I saw some mini pro on ebay the other day. A little bit more expensive than Ali Express though

Is it this one >>Digital-Hearing-Aid-Programmer-mini-PRO-USB-Compatible<<?
It’s not really a mini Pro, it’s a Chinese Hi Pro USB 1.1. Look at the pictures. The above link will deteriorate over time.

I think it will be much slower than a mini Pro (USB 1.1 vs USB 2.0). Also it’s $281 vs $208 for the mini Pro.

Here’s a link >>How to buy a mini Pro<<