Oticon Opn is now available in three performance levels

You’re the expert… Just exactly from his audiogram would you select. With that audiogram they won’t even enable it.

Well, actually Torinielsen’s audiologist is the expert and I assume had already seen the audiogram for himself and still mentioning the Oticon Plus Power, so maybe they see some hope with Speech Rescue working out.

Wonder what others brands he had to offer? Wonder what the profit margin is on the Oticon vs other brand that he had? Confused if the AuD mentioned the speech rescue or the OP read about it on his own.

Hi,

My audiologist has other brands such as Widex etc, but I am quite keen on Oticon Opn’s new technology. They are bringing out a Power Plus at the end of April, but there is no marketing material as yet for it. It was announced in the industry in February.

He has seen my audiogram and believes it would be a suitable fit but until I try them obviously, I won’t know how I get on with them as they are completely different to the traditional directional hearing aids. I believe that my audiologist is thinking the same way as Volusiano has said, but there is no realistic way of knowing if they will work for me until I try them. I am having a full hearing assessment in two weeks’ time so he will know more about how my hearing is and what hearing aids may be suitable once this has been done.

If I basically am only able to get what I have now, then there is no point spending the money. I do have the capability to hear some more sounds as when I got my current aids, I was able to hear the extractor fan whereas before with the non-bluetooth version of Oticon Synergy P, I couldn’t. Yes, I don’t have much in the way of high frequency, but I still have good low frequency to an extent…

And I am a she :o

The Opn currently have a 105 db receiver (at least available in the States)

I hope that if/when they bring the Plus Power to the OPN, the Speech Rescue technology will be available on all OPN levels through a firmware update so that the rest of us can make use of Speech Rescue and not just the Plus Power folks only.

Yep - They are available here in the United Kingdom as well. But they certainly wouldn’t be suitable for me at that power. Quite a lot of the hearing aids available from various makes that I like aren’t actually suitable for me because of my hearing loss. I hate Phonak, whilst I got on with them in the analogue years, I have never gotten on with them digitally. Never tried Widex, Resound etc as yet.

But with Oticon extending their OPN range to include a Power Plus, it looks more hopeful that I’ll be able to take advantage of the latest technology but we’ll see. In the UK, the Oticon Opn at its premium is currently £3000 approximately for a pair. This includes after care etc as well and warranty up to three years I believe. If I can’t, then I’ll stick with my NHS aids for now.

The 105 work for me at 77%=% volume my numbers are bad but not as bad as yours.

Right now I am in the process of getting a new mold (on order) as the original has feed back issues with the 105. Just wondering if additional power may cause more feedback issues.

That translates back to around $3,700 US dollars roughly with the current exchange rate, which is not too bad at all. It’s cheaper than the BuyHear.com pricing considering that you get all local after care included.

Good luck with the Power Plus trial when it becomes available. Do keep us posted on it! Thanks.

Well I already have feedback issues with my current aids, so I’m pretty used to it. Just putting my hand near my aids, I get feedback. I am getting new moulds made privately as I’m having real issues regarding comfort with my current ones (Made by the NHS) so it might improve with regards to feedback, but it is more comfort that I care about than anything else.

I will keep you all updated!

Just putting my hand near my aids, I get feedback.

that is not normal?

I don’t think so. My OPNs don’t have any feedback at all when I put my hands on my ears, wear headphones or headsets, or even lie on the side of the pillow. And I’m just using a single vent home bass dome. If you’re using a custom mold then feedback control should work even better.

Make sure your audi runs the feedback program to turn on feedback control, though. Not all audis do this unless it’s an issue.

I don’t get any feedback either with the OPNs.

Well, I had always assumed it was because of the power of the hearing aid? I am not sure if there is a feedback control on my current aids? I do remember asking about the feedback, they did try to fiddle with it, but it had its limitations and there wasn’t much they could do. But this was years ago and since then I just assumed I’d have to live with it. :confused:

Even when I hug people, I get feedback and people are like ooh, that’s loud. It’s so frustrating and annoying as I do like hugging people but I’m so conscious that I will make a noise if they hug me too close.

That’s another reason when I am trying the private sector is due to the technology available i.e. the OPN and it’s fantastic that you guys don’t get any feedback. That’s amazing.

And so far, going private has been amazing. Yes, I’m paying for it, but so far, it’s worth it as I have learnt more about my hearing etc in just the few weeks’ correspondence I have had with my new audiologist than I have had the entire time with the NHS.

I should also add that I don’t have amplification above 20 dB at any frequency so I’m not sure if the fact that I don’t get feedback is a function of the aids or the lesser amplification that I need. Maybe both?

Yeah, I think it is a combination of both. I need quite significant amplification, but I don’t think I have much feedback management with these aids.

"[quote=torinielsen;149697]Hi,

My audiologist has other brands such as Widex etc, but I am quite keen on Oticon Opn’s new technology. They are bringing out a Power Plus at the end of April, but there is no marketing material as yet for it. It was announced in the industry in February."

Hi,
how sure is that information, where you got it from?

Very. It is being released end of April but will be officially announced at AudiologyNOW in beginning of April. My audiologist said it will likely cost £2,000 per aid.

Hey,
that are really good news! I’m from ger and I asked oticon …they begged me asking my audi in case of those questions. So my audi called them: Yes a power edition is planned but when…no comment!

Ok so far so good! Do you have more infos such as battery size, is it BTE?, connections via clip?

[quote=“JonnyWonder,post:50,topic:25444”]

It is being released in late April. My audiologist said he is likely to get demo units in for me to try. It is a size 13 BTE and will feature the current OPN technology as well as speech rescue and direct streaming with iPhone, just in a Power form. I think it is the first BTE hearing aid with that kind of technology available, which is why I am so keen to try them. Can’t wait!