Oticon OPN 1 vs Resound 3D

Greetings Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I thought for sure the forum used to go by a different name a number of years ago when I posted here.

I am currently wearing Oticon Nera 2 Pro’s. Have trialed the Resound Linx2 9’s and now giving the Resound 3D’s a whirl. Still going to try the Oticon OPN 1’s.

I am a birdwatcher and a Toastmaster (public speaking). My primary concern is speech in noise in both closed and open spaces, like restaurants (closed) and conference rooms (open), two different environments. Locating the proximity of a bird not visible to the eye is my secondary concern when in the outdoors. Love those birds!

The Resound Apps are really useful for tweaks, but I would forego these for quality speech in noise results if applicable, even with a less hearty app.

I am anxious to hear of any experiences from birdwatchers or from someone who does meetings and/or conferences, plus or minus for either of these two products.

My hearing loss is high frequency, posted on my profile.

I think the Resound has some kind of frequency lowering technology. I know that the OPN does (it’s called Speech Rescue). I think frequency lowering would probably be helpful for your hearing loss profile when it comes to bird watching. So make sure to try out the frequency lowering technology on any of the hearing aids you want to demo.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the frequency lowering something that must be done in the office, or is it available on the app?

Are you referring to bass/middle/treble adjustment on the Resound 3D app or is that a different issue?

You cannot set up frequency lowering via an app. It must be done in the office.

It’s not an equalizer type adjustment like bass/mid/trebble. It’s basically designed for folks who have deep high frequency losses (like you and me). Instead of trying to amplify very hard the very high frequency sounds to make up for our hearing loss, what is does is take those sounds and transpose them to the lower frequencies (where our hearing is better) so that we can hear those sounds better without having to amplify them very hard so we can hear. It’s good for things like the “s” and “sh” and fricatives from speech that are hard to hear by us, to help improve speech understanding. It’s also good for very high sounds (like birds, crickets, digital electronic beepings) so that we can hear those high sounds better when they get moved to lower frequencies.

I recently did a demo of the Resound 3D and OPN’s. I kept the OPNs. I am in the severe/profound loss range and between the two the OPNs were significantly better at handling speech-in-noise for me - and much better than my previous Oticon SP-8’s. The OPNs are the only aids i’ve used so far that can let me hear what a person down the table is saying in a restaurant. I have a specific program setup to help (i did also on the Resounds) which forces the microphones to focus in front of me, instead of all around me like the usual program.

I cant speak to birdwatching…

Try them both and see which works for you better, you’ll know pretty quick after trying a few environments.

The speech focus can be user set in some of the resound programs as well. I often switch it from it’s dynamic focus (which I have to admit is pretty good) to a narrow “hear where I’m looking” focus in “Restaurant Mode”

Did you get the Oticon Mini OPN1’s or the BTE? Also, do you have an updated Audiogram, i dont see it in your profile? I too am in the profound loss range and currently have OPN MiniRITE’s and am wondering if the Resound Enzo’s would have any further power/benefit.

What I like best about it is that you don’t have to wonder if it could be a little better.

You can make your own changes to microphone directionality / noise reduction / tonal balance/ volume and see for yourself what works best for you right then and there.

Testing the OPN mini rites now after the Oticon LiNX2 9 and the Oticon 3D upgrade. My audiogram is posted in my profile.Can’t address the Enzo’s as I have no experience with them.

I agree, the bells and whistles on the apps are nice tweakers. I found the 3D app to have too many options for tweaking vs the Linx2 app which is still incredible. To be frank, I feel like the 3D’s offer very little over the LiNX2 9 except for the additional tweaking capabilities in the new app, which I found myself spending too much time in to get everything “just right”. I would choose the Linx2 9 over the 3D’s for being more user friendly on the apps.
I am now trialing the Oticon OPN1 mini rite and that app is pretty much limited to volume control in any of the programs. I am finding the automatic adjustments work quite well and do not need to be tweaked anyway. A lot less fiddling which is fine with me. I still have another 10 days or so with them before I decide the best way for me to go.

I personally consider this a strong point of the OPN. Many people fuss over how much control they can have over the other hearing aids’ app and how little control they have over the OPN ON app. What they don’t know is that the OPN ON app doesn’t have much control at all because it DOESN’T NEED much control at all. In this case, “less is more”.

Sometimes more controls doesn’t mean that it’s more advanced. Maybe it’s not advanced enough so YOU have to be in the pilot seat and control every little thing. The real beauty is when you don’t need a thing on the phone app and the hearing aid still works well in all situations for you. I’ve been using the OPN for over a year now and I hardly ever need to use the ON app at all. Just the manual buttons for volume and program selection is all I need.

Some analogies: do you want to drive a stick shift or an automatic? Or do you want to have all the controls to drive the car, or would you rather want a car to be smart enough to do the driving for you and you just sit back and enjoy the ride?

…we know

Those extra options are available in the app if you choose to drill down into the sound enhancer. If you don’t choose to go into the sound enhancer, you don’t have to deal with these options.

The Apps for the Linx2 and the 3D are both available in the Apple Ap store, and both have a demo mode if you would like to see them both and see the functionality that is present.

It’s not all that complex. You can cycle through the four programs same as pushing the button on your aids at the top. There’s a big (rather useless) picture and then a pair of volume controls (normally locked together) or you can use the MFiP controls and entirely skip the app.