Oticon OPN 1 or Resound LinX 3-D 9?

Oticon finally responded to me more personally. I suspect my Audi called and gave them holy hell. THEY didn’t get it either. They stated…volume of the stream is independent. You adjust with the phone or tablets own volume control. Yes. If I am keeping mic volume the same, I can adjust stream volume. However, if I walk into a noisy environment and I want to cut the onboard mics down while leaving the stream at a steady volume or, in fact, increasing it…this can not be done. In fact, the aid can be cut down, volume is at max on the phone, and you can barely hear a thing because everything is cut down within the hearing aid.

So while I want to be able to change volume of the stream without affecting the onboard mics, I also want to be able to change volume of the onboard mics without affecting stream volume.

That can not be done with Oticon’s setup.

Furthermore, Oticon did not seem as if it was the slightest bit interested in looking into helping me with that.

As long as there’s still headroom in the receiver to accept and deliver the MCL that you want to increase to, I don’t see why not as long as your audi doesn’t object to it.

As you can see, my right hearing is worse than my left hearing, and in using 85dB receivers on both, I have less headroom on my right receiver to increase the max volume to compared to my left.

You may run into a similar situation with your 85dB receivers due to different hearing losses in both your ears.

Thank you. I will follow your suggestions, at least to understand things better.

I think I finally understand why you’re seeing these number sets and I’m seeing percentage on my volume sliders.

I bet you’re using the Oticon ON app to control your OPN mic volume. I hardly ever use the OPN ON app.

Also, I assume that we’re talking about the OPN mic volume here, which is different than the streaming volume. The streaming volume is only controllable via the iOS device’s volume buttons/slider.

I’m using the iOS MFI Hearing Devices menu on my iPhone to control my OPN mic volume (but most of the times I just use the physical button on the OPN). I believe your iPod has the same option. Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> MFI Hearing Devices -> (your OPN name) and you’ll see the Hearing Device Mic Volume. This is where you can also enable the Adjust Independently option so you can get separate left and right sliders. Then you’ll see the % volume value I’m talking about.

You can also triple click on your home button to get the shortcut to the MFI controls for your OPN as well.

Now, back to the OPN mic volume control on your ON phone app. In my case, I have more headroom on my left ear. So as I increase the volume, both left and right values go up in lock step, 1, 2, then 3 clicks. If I increase it once more, only my left value goes up to 4. My right value remains at 3. That’s because I have no more headroom on my right receiver to go up to 4, while there’s still a little more headroom in my left receiver to go up to 4.

It looks like you have a similar situation. Because your left receiver is already at the borderline, your left ear can only go up to 1 in P3 and P4, and can’t go up any further in P1 and P2 (hence it remains at 0, the default, and also in this case, the max volume). Meanwhile, there’s plenty of headroom in your right receiver, so it can go up to 4 clicks, depending on which Preset you’re at.

Again, this is only for the OPN mic volume. It has nothing to do with the streaming volume from the iOS device.

I went back to the audiologist today and she put tulip domes on my HAs. They’ve eliminated the feedback in the left HA and reduced the feedback in the right HA to the minimal level my left HA had with 7mm open domes. My hearing is the best I’ve had in many years! The Resound Linx 3D 9 HAs will be the new HAs I purchase!

Yes, your are absolutely correct. I was talking about the volumes for the presets which I prefer to adjust on the ON app screen on my iPod, and this is for the input via MIC and has nothing to do with streaming.

In fact, my Audi has set the adjustment to be done concurrently for the two ears so that it does not matter if I slide the finger on the right hand, left hand or central part of the ON screen to adjust the volume. If I stream along with, say, P3 then my ears receive input from both the mics and Bluetooth. To help me hear streamed voices better the Audi suggested muting the preset output by touching the volume ‘circle’ appearing on the screen.

I tried but could not make the two aids act independently for the presets by using the relevant tabs on the iPod. So I guess the percentages we see for the two aids on horizontal lines (or a single percentage if the independent option is not chosen) relate to streaming only. What is rather strange is that if I choose P1 then I get 77% for the right ear and 100% for the left by default, the corresponding figures for P2 and P3 are (70%,100%) and (64%,64%). The heading of these lines is “Hearing Device Mic volume”. I do not understand this and wonder if Audi will either!

Maybe, I will restrict my discussions to the final outcome I am seeking, namely, being able to hear streamed audio books etc without straining my ears, that is, without reaching the 100% limit of the volume range.

These controls are for the OPN mic volume, not for streaming. Hence they’re labeled as such.

The streaming volume is controlled by the physical volume buttons of the IOS device and not by these sliders. Or by the slider that’s equivalent to the iOS device’s volume buttons. But again, not these sliders that are labeled hearing device mic volumes.

The 77% right and 100% left by default for P1 is simply because your left receiver is borderline maxed out already for your left hearing loss. So there’s no more headroom left for anymore amplification, even in the default value.

As to why P3 is 64% and not 100%, it depends on what is programmed into P3.

Day 3 with the loaner pair of Resound Linx 3d (waiting for the other OPN1 to compare a pair of both) and I honestly hate the sound of my own voice while wearing the Linx 3d. it’s almost as if my own voice has some kind of mid range resonance (maybe the wrong term chosen) i experienced that same thing when I tried the Costco KS 8, (but not with the Costco Phonak) I don’t have the Resound app working yet, Are there any settings in the app that can alter this. There is just something about the Resound that is not pleasing to me from a standpoint of listening to conversations / background noise. I can’t pinpoint it… Maybe it’s the brightness - just something unnatural…anyone else have an experience such as this?

Everything you are saying isn’t unusual for a first time user. It can take a month or more to adopt to the new sounds and for them to feel normal.

I was searching for one word to sum up how I hear with the loaner pair of the Linx 3D’s on the drive home. Hollow. Anyone else have a similar ‘feel’ for these in that way. Anyway around that? I may have the app working by tomorrow night as these go back to my AUDI tomorrow to try to get them to pair properly.

I hear that the Signia Nx has some kind of “own voice processing” technology that tries to make your own voice sound more normal to you, if that matters a lot to you a lot. But otherwise, like Ken said, it’ll take a while for most new users to get used to how their own voice sounds through their own hearing aids.

But if it’s not just your own voice, but it’s everything else that doesn’t sound natural to you, then it’s probably the hearing aid’s brand model. They all have different sound characteristics, almost like a sound personality of some sort. Some people take to liking or hating certain sound characteristic of certain hearing aid’s brand/model over others immediately. That’s something that you can also learn to get used to over time, and maybe can be adjusted somewhat. But I think each hearing aid’s over all sound characteristic will remain no matter how much you adjust it.

But your gut reaction initially may be a good indicator of your preference to a certain sound type. Many people make their hearing aid purchase selection based heavily on this. Others may not care so much as long as they get decent amplification and intelligibility. It’s a very personal preference.

I got so used to my old Rexton CIC from Costco for years that I never thought about how it sounded. Then when I switched over to the OPN, I never thought much about how different it sounds compared to the Rexton because it was all nice and natural to me. Then one time I had to send in my OPN for repair for 3 weeks and I had to revert to my Rexton as my backup pair. IMMEDIATELY, I was surprised to find out how different it sounds compared to the OPN. Funny that you use the term “hollow” here. That was how my Rexton sounded to me after I switched back to it for 3 weeks. But I never noticed that it was “hollow” before because I had nothing to compare it to.

Well, I am trying the Linx 3D 88 units now. I have the phone clip and multi mic. I think I got duds. The streaming is dropout city and the aids have a hard time connecting to stuff. I can’t believe this is normal…it is bad…very bad.

I am having the Audi contact Resound. If this isn’t fixed, it is back to the OPN 1s

Is there anything else out there worth trying?

Volusiano, my audiogram is now up on my profile.

Are you talking about doing this kind of thing while streaming directly between the OPN and an iOS device (iPhone or iPad or iPod)? I can do exactly this with both my iPhone and iPad. I can change the volume of the iOS device’s stream totally independent from the volume on the OPN onboard mic. I can turn one up while I turn the other one down, and neither volume affects the other. It CAN be done with Oticon’s setup because I’ve done it before, and I just did it again just to verify before I write this post up.

The OPN onboard mic volume can be controlled either on the iOS device’s HA MIC slider or using the OPN onboard physical buttons. The iOS device streaming volume can be controlled either on the iOS device’s volume slider or using the iOS device’s onboard physical volume buttons.

If you’re talking about controlling the TV Adapter streaming volume (while your OPN is connected with the TV Adapter) from the iOS device, then you’d have 2 volume sliders, one for the OPN mics and one for the TV Adapter. You can adjust the TV Adapter slider independent from the OPN mics slider. (the streaming volume from the TV will vary but the OPN onboard mic volume won’t change at all). But adjusting the OPN mics volume slider does affect the TV Adapter streaming volume (lowering the OPN onboard mic volume while connected to the TV Adapter will lower the TV adapter volume somewhat, but not 100% in lockstep). BUT, this is ONLY when your OPN is being connected to the TV Adapter.

If you’re trying to do this via an Android device with the ConnectClip between the Android device and the OPN, then I don’t know exactly because I don’t own the ConnectClip. Maybe somebody who owns a ConnectClip can chime in here.

Thanks for posting your audiogram up. It doesn’t look as bad as I thought. If you’re being fitted with 85dB receivers, there should be adequate headroom and also dynamic range to recognize enough nuances between sound volumes to help discern sounds from each other. So I kinda run out of guesses as to why you only notice small incremental improvement between your old hearing aids and the OPN.

Perhaps you can elaborate on what specific kind of improvement you’re looking for from the OPN that you didn’t get from your other 4 year old Oticon HA? That may help narrow down why the OPN doesn’t have what you’re looking for.

When your audi told you that most people are pleasantly shocked at the improvement from the OPN, I would venture to guess that it’s mainly the openness of the soundscape of what they can now hear, compared to what they were used to from previous hearing aids. That’s just because of the open paradigm, where sounds from around you are now allowed to be let in more, rather than being blocked out more like in the traditional paradigm, because just about anything not front speech is considered noise in the old paradigm.

The other pleasant surprise people find from the OPN is that despite hearing more sounds that used to be considered noise, the speech clarity they’re looking for is still not compromised in a complex, noisy environment, and maybe even improved.

I think those are the 2 main things that people probably found unexpectedly but pleasantly surprised about the OPN, that your audi was trying to convey to you. But it really depends on what you’re looking for specifically in terms of improvement that matters to you. For people who don’t care to hear everything and prefer to just zoom in on the speech and hear the speech only and have everything else be quiet, then they probably won’t like the OPN as much, or maybe at all.

I am having some trouble with the Resounds that I expect to be resolved Tuesday. Streaming stability is terrible with iPhone and with android. Rock solid with the multi mic. My discrimination is better with the Resounds. Yet the Oticon’s have a better sound to them. I think that perhaps Oticon threw the baby out with the bath water in that they went overboard with the open part. I think Resound has a better balance…for me anyway. The control afforded the Resound user is unprecedented. If the streaming issue is fixed, then these will be my hearing aids most likely. In any case, as favored as Resound is for streaming, this can’t be normal…drop out city. No one would tolerate this even on the cheapest Bluetooth headsets. So…I guess Tuesday, I will have more to report back.

When I originally was fitted with the OPN, hearing all the sounds all the times really annoyed me, because I was used to the reduction of static noises from my old hearing aids.

So yes, I think Oticon pretty much went all out with a radically new approach and some people like it, but others don’t. I didn’t like it originally, until I understood the rationale behind it and tried to give it a chance. It’s really about what you like and don’t like, and about getting used to a different way of hearing.

I’m sure you’re just running into something pretty basic on the Bluetooth issue with the Resound. Like you said, they wouldn’t have released a product with that kind of issue. I’m sure they’ll get it figured out for you.

I am at work, but I started thinking basics and the smacked myself in the forehead. When I get home this evening, I am going to change a few things. I have many…many wireless devices…most are on the 2.4ghz band. My router and most, if not all, of my devices support 5ghz. Bluetooth also is in the 2.4ghz frequency range. I wonder what idiot decided to park Bluetooth in the same frequency range as Wi-Fi? Once I push all Wi-Fi to 5ghz, I will see how much of an issue there is. If there are still bad issues, then I may proceed to try another set of Resounds. If not, then…wheee! Here at work, I have rock solid iPhone to hearing aid streaming…even walking 30ft away and maintaining a connection better than what I have at home. I suspect that altering the connections at home is going to eliminate my issues.

It wasn’t an idiot it was the FCC – oxymoron?

There are only certain bands that are public use freqencies. Add that you look for certain characteristics and you end up with WiFi and BT sharing. Your router can be set to a specific band or set to look for a least used one. Experimenting with that can assist. 2.4 gets better marks for distance as walls are better penetrated than with 5.

Yes, oxymoron. Yes, the downside with higher frequencies is less penetration at a given energy level.