Oticon OPN 1 or Resound LinX 3-D 9?

Over the past 2 months I’ve trialed Phonak Audeo B90s, Oticon OPN 1s, Starkey Muse IQ i2400s and today I picked up a set of Resound Linx 3D 9s. I’ve worn Linx 3D 7s for the past week and they would have been my choice over the Phonak, Oticon and Starkey options. At first flush, the Linx 3Ds are a step above the 3d 7s.

The Linz 3D 9s are going to be great HAs. I say going to be because the initial fitting was with open domed, 7mm for the left ear and 10mm for the right ear. I get a lot of feedback with the right HA, if I get my hand anywhere near my ear. I get a small amount of feedback with the left HA, but not nearly as much as the right HA. I have no problem at all hearing with them.

You might need/want to try to cone domes. They are the next step up and still have some pass thru for low frequencies.

Hi KenP,
Do cone domes cut down on frequency? I wonder if they would help me?

I meant feedback! Duh!

Yes, they should provide that. (feedback suppression)

As I mentioned a few days earlier I am on the 60 day trial period with a pair of Oticon Opn 1 miniRITE. On the whole I find the aids are working fine, mostly set at P3 (0), ‘comfortable’ setting for sound from the front with that from other directions attenuated. I have not experienced any whistling/feed back and the closed domes are quite comfortable to wear - with no itching.

I use iPod touch version 6 for streaming music and audio. I wish I could have louder sound output by the aids to my ears so I don’t have to set the volume control on the ipod at the maximum all the time to hear clearly. I understand when playing music or audio the volume control on the aids are not effective. I mentioned my problem to my audi and he did some adjustment to increase the volume, but it seems the hearing aids have a cut off level and there is no way to get a louder output whatever the input level is. If this is not so I can try a connect clip both to use a different mp3 player (like Galaxy 8) with a greater output and also to allow further amplification by the connect clip.

I have two questions:
(1) Does the Opn 1 have a cutoff level for output to my ears? Or it is something the audi choosesto do to avoid damaging my ears?
(2) Will the connect clip provide additional amplification to the output from the mp3 player?

Could anyone with the relevant experience please help out.
Cheers.

If I remember correctly, your hearing professional fitted you with 85dB receivers, right? That’s very borderline for your left hearing and may be why you’re not satisfied with the volume output.

Yes, there are limitations on how loud the receiver output volume can be. The first limitation is the Maximum Comfort Level that your hearing professional determined to be based on how uncomfortably loud you told them you can tolerate when they did the hearing test for you.

The second limitation is the amplification power the receiver can deliver based on its size.

It may also be that the initial acclimatization is limiting the amplification on purpose to gradually ramp you up to speed so you don’t feel too overwhelmed initially. Don’t know if this was set for you or not.

The Connect Clip won’t give you anymore power than you can already find the regular way.

And I’m assuming that your hearing professional already reprogrammed your OPN for maximum streaming volume output in Genie 2.

Another possibility is that whatever audio source you use from your device is not calibrated well enough to give you maximum dynamic range that your device can deliver. In that case, there’s not much you can do on the hearing aid end or the device end to boost it up enough because it’s a garbage in garbage out situation.

I am on a trial run with a set of OPN1 hearing aids right now. BTE/with tube and ear mold.
I had a previous generation Oticon set from about 4 years ago. I just don’t hear much difference. There is an improvement, but is seems incremental to me. My Audi told me that most people are pleasantly shocked at the improvement afforded by the OPN1s.

I am also rather disappointed in Oticon’s excuse for an app. I have the connect clip and the thing cuts out a lot depending on Head position.

I sent an email to Oticon with my desire for more control in the app. I was basically brushed off. People first indeed.

I have instructed my Audi to go ahead and set me up on a trial run of the Resound Linx 3D aids.

Background on me. I have been wearing hearing aids for 40+ years. I have had 2 Audi’s in that time. Both awesome guys. Up until 11 years ago, I had analog aids. Then I got a set of Phonaks, then a set of Oticon’s, now trying out some aids. I really want the fitting program. For myself only, I am as good as an Audi. Not for anyone else, but for me.

I know that the favorability is about 2 to 1 OPN1 to Linx3D. My Audi has had a far more skewed set of results…overwhelmingly OPN1. He flat said…it may be that your brain is such that the Resounds will be better for you. I think he very interested in seeing my opinion. I started wearing aids when I was 6. I also love music and I love Control. Resound offers more of both…particularly control. My ultimate objective is to hear better. Whichever aid is best for that is the one that will be in my ear long term. I work as an electrician in a steel mill. My hearing difficulties make things very hard at work. People get tired of repeating themselves.

It would be nice to see you post your audiogram so we have a basis of knowing what kind of hearing loss you have.

I assume it’s a severe loss to have BTE with plastic tubes and molds. Usually for that kind of severe loss, it’s plausible that you may only find incremental improvement from your previous aids compared to the OPN because of the more limited dynamic range of your hearing loss.

I think for people with not as severe a hearing loss, they will probably have a much more appreciable improvement compared to your servere loss because their dynamic hearing range is not as limited as yours, so the finer nuances of the OPN would be more noticeable to them.

I know one of our forum members here, 1Bluejay, who tried out the OPN 1 and didn’t have much success with it in noisy environments and she switched to the Phonak Audeo B Direct and had better success with it in noisy environments. I suspect that’s because she has pretty severe loss so the open paradigm of the OPN is not suitable for that kind of loss and the traditional directional mic noise reduction works better for her. She’s also an ardent Android user and the Audeo B Direct gives her a direct streaming solution to her on her Android phone.

Also, not sure what more control on the smart phone app do you need for the OPN beside the program change and volume change that’s already there. The OPN is designed to work well most of the times with just the default program without the need to meddle with it much at all.

I will have to get a copy

I think you have poor hearing in high frequencies. If so, you cannot hear directions from where come sounds. But it is a fundamental thing for Opn and its Open Sound Navigator.

How about independent volume sliders for the aids onboard mics and streaming sources?

How about bass, mid, treble sliders?

How about being able to set your own settings the way you vfc want them in the presets.

Please. I have read your many responses to others in this forum. I think you must have OPN1s and they work exceedingly well for you. Bravo. However, I, me, want the ability to tell my aids what I want them to do. I emailed Oticon to this effect and got boilerplate brushoff. To implement what I want in the app would be simple for them. Yet, they wont.i didn’t get so much as a I will look into it response.

I will try the Resounds. If they work better for my hearing, I will choose them. If the Oticons work better, I will choose them.

On the App side, there is no comparison.
I also like Resounds accessory line more.

My deafness cuts right through the speech frequencies. I have noticed minor improvements between my 4 year old Oticons and these OPN1s. Only Minor. So I am going to try another model to see if that works better in my particular case.

And yes, I have what would be considered a severe loss in the speech and higher frequencies. The strongest mini rite would work, but I would not have any extra headroom. My battery consumption of 312s would likely be double that of the 13s.
Interestingly, the Enzo 3D offered by Resound is too much in either size. The most powerful Linx 3D will be more than sufficient

I hope these articles will help you What Is Speech Discrimination? Why Don’t My New Hearing Aids Let Me Understand Speech Perfectly?

Independent volume sliders are already available on the iPhone MFI Hearing Aids section. You just have to turn on that selection on your iPhone. If you have Android phone and a ConnectClip then I don’t know how because I don’t have the ConnectClip. Maybe somebody here who has the ConnectClip can chime in on this.

For the iPhone, ConnectClip and TV Streamer, you can have your hearing professional adjust the Power Bass setting in either the iPhone, ConnnectClip or TV Streamer for more bass. More mid and treble can also be done by the hearing professional for you in the Fine Tuning section of the Genie 2 programming software.

In terms of having those sliders on the phone app so the user can adjust it themselves at will, I don’t think it’s a matter of Oticon not being able to put it on the user app while other company can do it. It’s a matter of their policy of not wanting to give users that kind of control because it may mess up something else, and they would rather the user would consult with the hearing professional to have it done for them so that the hearing professional would have some input on it to ensure that the change is not detrimental to something else.

Not sure what kind of presets you’re thinking about wanting to set on the phone app. The first thing with the Genie 2 setting would be the hearing professional asking you 5 personal preference settings so that they can input those presets into Genie 2 to contour the sound according to your personal preferences. Should they make those 5 presets available on the phone app so users can modify them later on if they change their minds? Maybe. But usually those are long term preference type presets and not something that the user would want to change their mind from one environment to the next. That’s why they’re called presets.

Yes, I do have the OPN 1 and they work very well for me.

If you want to have total control of your aids from a phone app and be able to tell them what to do at any time, then the OPN is totally wrong for what you want. However, it doesn’t mean that the app is inferior. For big companies like Oticon and the other big 5 mfgs, putting features on a phone app is trivial. The question is whether they want or need to put more features on an app or not. For the OPN, I personally think it’s already fine tuned enough that no detailed meddling is necessary.

I’m the same. My loss is similar in both ears but with just the left HA, I hear very little. I hear very well with both HAs or just my right HA.

I was told that a single aid was an option. That was based mostly on low WRS. I found 2 aids provided a fuller experience along with making the features better. When one is in for repair the worst ear can give me understanding but isn’t as clear as when it is the single good side. That’s mainly in quiet listening situations. Noise worsens result but more with the bad ear alone. Looking at just my audiogram, all that isn’t apparent.

The OPN seems a good aid for those who don’t have this problem while the rest of us need a different solution. The idea that one brand is superior in all aspect seems very short sighted.

EVERY brand has satisfied and dissatisfied users. Aids and software first fit are best at the typical/waterfall loss. For the rest it can be a scramble to find satisfactory results. Often it will be the fitter along with brand.

I think the 15 db difference between your 2 ears at 1 and 2KHz makes a crucial difference in how better you can hear between your left and right ear with the hearing aids on. I really think the crucial difference is the dynamic range available. Your left hearing probably have so little available dynamic range left between 1 and 2 KHz that it renders the hearing aid there to become much less effective.