Oticon OPN 1 or Resound LinX 3-D 9?

Hi All,

I just joined the forum. I have uploaded my audiogram of air conduction hearing loss.

I have previously used bone conduction spectacle hearing aids (fitted in the UK) because of itching problem in the ears, but now find them inadequate. I don’t have an up to date audiogram for bone conduction loss.

I am hoping a pair of these RIC aids will help me to hear better and also with the iPod touch allow me to listen to music and phone conversations (with Magic Jack installed on the iPod.) I will use Miracell to stop itching, hopefully.

I will appreciate any comments about my choice before I buy a pair.

Cheers.
akaybee

I’m no expert but your audiogram tells me you have severe loss in the right ear and profound in the left. So whichever aid you choose of the 2 mentioned you will need high powered speakers and probably a double unvented dome in the right and possibly a custom mould in the left. The OPN 1 and Linx3D are both highly thought of. They both have mfi connection to an iphone but the latter has a more comprehensive app.

Thank you JohnA. I will ask the Audio to set the speakers at high assuming this is possible. Is there any reason why a mold may be better than a dome on my left ear which has profound loss? I am asking because I wish to discuss this with the Audio and give him a reason for my preference for a mold. Also, I have to check if a mold is more likely to cause itching, a problem I am worried about.

A mold shouldn’t itch more than a dome. A mold may seal up your ear canal better than a dome, depending how regular or irregular your ear canal is. Usually for severe loss, a high power receiver is necessary and usually they only come with custom molds.

Speakers/receivers are not set, there is a choice when buying aids of which strength should be fitted to them. As Volusiano says moulds provide a better seal and this becomes necessary when using high powered speakers/receivers as there is more chance of sound leaking from the ear causing feedback. My wife has had itching problems with moulds, though these were large moulds with aids that used tubing rather than the RIE type that generally have smaller moulds, but I think it very much depends on whether you are generally prone to skin problems. She found that a light smear of vaseline over the moulds helped.

Thank you both very much.

I was not aware of the need to specify the type of receivers when placing an order - thought it was just a matter of setting. I will mention this to the Audio when I visit him tomorrow. I find the info. on ear mold also very useful. Perhaps the Audio himself will advise me to have a mold on one or both ears; if not then I will ask him about this.

As Volusiano said a number of times, Oticon OPN 1 is like a car with an automatic gearbox whereas Linx is more like one with a manual system. Although I am not averse to using smart phones (I turned 82 recently) I would prefer if I could do the necessary adjustments on the hearing aids themselves rather than taking out the iPod (in my case) and opening the Resound 3D app on it. I am assuming I can stream music and phone calls (Magic Jack) directly from the iPod to my aids without any need of a Connect Clip, and still find the sound quality adequate.

During my previous visit Audio was more enthusiastic of the Linx model because of its ability to filter noise in crowded rooms like restaurants, cocktail parties etc using the Resound App. For me this may not be that important, whereas being able to carry on conversations with a small group of friends or family members is really essential. I also need to hear tour guides when in a group tour even if I am at the back of the group. Finally, with the miniRITE-T model I hope to use my Panasonic KX-TG4741 phone at home (which has a T-coil) directly without needing a headphone with sound amplification as I do now.

I will appreciate any views you may have on the adequacy of the above Oticon model for my needs.

Cheers.

I think the OPN will be great in a tour group situation where you are in the back and need to hear the tour guide because it’s designed to let your heart more of everything around you even in noisy situations, as compared to the traditional hearing aid model where noise reduction means that sounds around you is filtered out except in the front. That wouldn’t work well in a tour environment where you need to be able to hear everything around you.

The OPN should also be effective in small group conversations.

As for noisy restaurants, the OPN doesn’t filter out sounds around you like the Linx, but that is by design because it should do a good job making speech in front of you clearer to help your brain tune in and understand this front speech better. Its reasoning is that your brain hearing should be able to tune out what you don’t want to hear so it lets the brain do that, while the Linx would try to do that tuning out for you. So it’s really up to your preference on whether you want the hearing aid to tune things out for you, or your brain to do that instead.

Hi, I have been fitted with a pair of Oticon miniRITE-T with size 85 receiver. My audiologist has set 3 programs, one for comfort with less surrounding noise. The 4th program is ‘T-coil and Microphone’. Using my Panasonic Dect 6.1 phone (which has T-coil) for phone conversation I found the voice of the person on the other end broken intermittently. I will ask the Audio but will like to hear if anyone once else has encountered the same problem.

I also noted the Dect phone has bluetooth but I assume this is not compatible with the MFI hearing aids.

I find I have to increase the volume on my iPod touch to the limit to hear spoken (audiobook) items. I did ask my Audio why I could not have the higher powered (100dB ) receiver but did not get a direct answer. Do you see any reason why I cannot use the higher powered receiver, particularly in my left ear? I have uploaded my audiograms but am not sure how to show it here.

Thanks.

You can ask your audi to up the volume of your streaming audio from the iOS device up higher in Genie 2 so you can get a louder sound out of your iPod.

Getting the 100dB receiver for your left ear may help in the few frequency areas where it’s borderline pass the 85dB mark. But I suspect your audi thinks the 85dB, although borderline for your left ear, is still sufficient so they don’t want to bother getting the 100dB.

My audi fitted me with 85dB as well even though my right ear can use a stronger receiver. When I asked her to get me another pair of 105dB receivers, she charged me an extra $350 for a pair of 105dB with custom molds. I asked her what if I returned the 85dB receivers, then will the 105dB be part of the price I already paid? She told me no, the price I paid was for up to 85dB receivers only, and Oticon charges more for 100dB receivers and above.

Back then the 100dB and 105dB receivers required custom molds as well automatically. Now I’m hearing from some people that 100dB receivers can be use with domes now although the 105dB receivers still requires molds.

Part of the reason my audi wanted to start out with the 85dB receivers was to see if I could get by with using domes to avoid the cost of the custom molds and the extra charge for the bigger receivers.

After I got my 105dB receivers with custom molds, I found that they weren’t really a big improvement over the 85dB receivers for me acoustically, and they’re a lot more conspicuous than the 85dB receivers because the custom molds stick out like a sore thumb with the locking leg and all, so I went back to wearing the 85dB receivers with domes for now and save my 105dB receivers in case my hearing worsens in the future then I already have them handy.

Thank you Volusiano. I will ask the audi about the possibility to increase the amplification range of my iPod.

Yesterday I went to get my ears cleaned at my regular ENT clinic (as I am advised not to use hydrogen peroxide in my ears). I noticed that when I remove the aid from my left ear I can hear almost as well as with both the aids but I hear much less when using the aid on the left ear alone. I thought the audi has adjusted the amplifications for the left ear aid to make both the aids deliver the same level of sound as he has allowed only one volume control for both aids at the same time.

Am I correct in thinking that at the same volume level (0, 1, etc) my hearing should be the same with either ear? Does it indicate the need to use the 100dB receiver on the left ear (with or without an ear mold) perhaps keeping the 85 dB one for the right ear?

It will be useful to know more about this before I see the audi.

Thanks.

Audiograms are most useful to establish first fit levels. They don’t tell the full story. Do you know your WRS? It is an indicator that establishes more information.

The ears are like your car’s drivetrain. There are a number of components needed to send power through the entire process. But with ears there are two drivetrains.

Thanks.

My recent Speech Discrimination Test using Nu-6 (?) gave the following results for
Speech Reception Threshold,
Speech Awareness Threshold,
Speech Discrimination LV/REC and
Pure Tone Avg:

Right Ear - 60 dB, DNT, 88% 35 dBSL and 64 dB
Left Ear - 80 dB, DNT, 80% 25 dBSL and 86 dB.

I have just extracted this info. from the audiogram performed on Dec 1, 2017. I only understand that there is about a 20 dB difference in the threshold between the two ears. Would it mean the left ear h/aid needs about 20 dB extra amplification?

Looking forward to a resolution of my problem

Cheers.

It’s not clear what you’re trying to say here so I don’t really know what the issue is.

Sorry if I was not clear.

I was saying that if I use my right ear hearing aid only, my hearing is as good as with two aids, but this is not so if I use only the aid on the left ear.

My query was if this means that the aid for the left ear needs additional power/amplification, assuming this is what Genie can do. Else, can this aid be fitted with a 100dB receiver in place of the 85dB one to increase its capacity?

My guess is that compared to the right ear, there just isn’t near as much “aidable” hearing in the left ear. I’m unclear if you are using domes or custom molds, but I think custom molds could be beneficial, especially in the left ear. I would think appropriate steps, assuming you want more gain in the left ear would be 1) custom molds, 2) try more gain with current receiver 3) If one maxes out current receiver and still wants more gain, consider more powerful receiver. Disclaimer: I’m not an audiologist. And to comment on your other question about the differences between ears. No, you just can’t subtract the sound levels and assume you know how much more gain you need.

OK I understand what you’re trying to say now. I think the reason you’re feeling that way is because of the way Wide Dynamic Range Compression works. This is not just an OPN thing. All hearing aids brands use this technology.

You can Google it to understand it better. But in short, a normal ear has a very wide dynamic range because it can hear anything between about 0dB to 120dB, hence a 120 dB dynamic range.

Your right ear, on the other hand, has about an average of around 60 dB loss. So anything below 60 dB has to be amplified. Softer sounds amplified as much as 60dB before you can hear anything. Louder sounds amplified less. But basically the right ear dynamic range has to be compressed in between 60 dB to around 120 dB, or a dynamic range of 60 dB.

Of course you have different loss at different frequencies, so the compressed dynamic range varies at different frequencies. I’m just talking about a single average number here for simplicity’s sake.

Your left ear has an average of about 80dB loss. So the dynamic range there is compressed even further to only about 40dB.

I’m not a hearing professional, but I’m guessing that this is what you’re perceiving when you take out your right hearing aid -> the very limited compressed dynamic range of only 40dB in your left ear. And you feel like you can hear better with your right ear because it has 1.5 times the left ear’s compressed dynamic range, at 60 dB compressed range.

I don’t think there’s really anything the audi can adjust to improve this because the WDRC is set automatically by the hearing aid and it’s a physical limitation of your heating loss that results in a much smaller dynamic range.

I’m not sure if going to a 100 or 105dB receiver will help. I think that it depends on what your Maximum Comfort Level is at (usually it can be up to 120 dB or maybe lower depending on the individual). If it’s at a higher level than the 85dB receiver can boost up to, but the 100dB receiver can deliver up to, then maybe the 100dB receiver can give you a little wider dynamic range due to the extra headroom. You can ask your audi about this.

Below is an illustration of WDRC

The Lynx are way better, easier to program. Better platform all around…Mark

I assume that you’re talking about changing programs on the smart phone app, and maybe having more parameters to change on the iPhone? I assume you’re not talking about programming on the computer by the hearing professional.

The OPN has an app for the smart phone for users as well to change programs and volume, etc. But I never have a need to use it because the default program serves all situations satisfactorily for me, even for listening to music… So to me, not having to even touch such an app is better than having to go in such app and fiddle with it all the times.

I had the same experience with the OPNs as Volusiano (no need to change programs); I still have that experience with the Signia Nx (well, Charge N Go).

Tell me about your Signia Charge&Go Nx HA? Please