Oticon Nera 2 Pro

HI, new to HA forum and HA. Week 3 of using Oticon NERA2 Pro DesignRite. Mixed results with these highly regarded devices. Ambient noise, restaurant, big box stores and trying to listen to music in the car continue to be a big problem for me. I have another session with the audi tomorrow and would appreciate any comments on solving the amblinet noise issue. If I go to a restaurant the HA go in the pocket since they are of no use. I can hear conversations from tables around me but cannot understand conversation at my own table. One fix proposed by the audi is a streamer, which Im reluctant to do because of cost and having to manage one more device. Wish I could directly connect the HA directly to my iPhone to manage environments / programs.
I would appreciate any comments on how to guide the audi fitting to my needs. The audi has not done a REM test yet. Are there any additional tests they should be doing as a part of the fitting process? Is there a better choice of HA that will directly connect to the iPhone ?

HZ 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 4K 8K WRS
R - 50 55 60 55 30 55 60 76% @ 60
L - 18 10 10 5 30 55 60 96% @ 60

A REM would be a minimum standard to resolve whether you are getting the right level of sound.

The YouMatic slider in Genie is pretty easy to use - it dictates how actively the hearing aid interferes with noise, how aggressive it is in sensing speech and how the directional pattern is set. Might be worth a move to the more dynamic settings to allow the aid to do its thing better in more challenging environments.

What programs do you have installed? You should be able to change to a noise program with forward direction emphasized with the button programmed to change programs.

Thanks for the reply, Ill bring it up in my meeting tomorrow.

There are no programs installed on my HA. The DesignRite does not have an exterior button to select volume or program, I would need a dongle or remote to select programs if they were installed.

Went back to my audiologist for my first adjustment on my Nera 2 Pro miniRITEs. Things went better than I expected. Told her about all the shrillness and she adjusted my main program an thing sound much more natural. I asked her to add the music program which she did despite the fact that she told me the little button to switch programs didn’t do anything on my model when I initially got them. Wired. But better is better. Anyway I am awaiting the cables to come and I will have everything I need to tweak the music program myself and I won’t have to keep running back to her.

I went back yesterday for my first adjustment. I told her that everything sounded shrill and music was horrible. I asked her to add the music program and she agreed like that was perfectly normal. I was found that a bit funny in light that she told me the button did nothing when I was fitted with them but I didn’t argue. She fixed the shrillness and added the music program. I am much happier. I now believe that her mode of operation is to keep is very simple at first and not let the client know about the advanced features right off the bat. I don’t like the fact that she lied about it to me but she did do a good job at the first follow up so I feel much better about it. I am now testing the music program to see how it works. The shrillness in my general program is gone and everything sounds pretty natural now. I am still planning on tweaking on the music program once the flexi-strips come in from eBay. I now have everything I need to program them myself.

One last thing I do believe that I would recommend Hozers hearing in Caro, MI. now to area residents.

Hi Justin. I have been severely hearing-impaired since age 8 (55 now) and currently use a 3-year old Phonak Ambra M H20 in my right ear. My left ear is 90-95% dead and is a CI candidate, but I’m holding off on that in hopes that I can get the left ear into Dr Staecker’s Atoh1 trial at Kansas soon. My Phonak has been malfunctioning, so I have a choice of getting a new Oticon Nera Pro or the Phonak Audeo Q50 via my insurance company. Could you recommend one or the other and some reasons why? I cannot function in my job as an Auditor without a good aid that helps me hear speech in an around-the-table setting. The results of my last Audiogram are below. I know, my hearing is REALLY bad :frowning: Thanks! P.S.- What city are you in?

250—500—750----1K----1.5K----2K----3K----4K-----6K----8K
35-----45-----65----70-----85-----115—115—115—115—115
65-----80-----95—115----115----115—115—115—115—115

BigRamy

why do you not try Oticon Dynamo or Phonak Naida Q UP or ReSound Enzo? These models are best choice for you.

I’m in Southern Utah. If I were you I would look into an Oticon Dynamo, as good as they will cover, or Chili SP as good as they will cover. Or if you HAVE to choose between those two options (both are a bit outdated), I would say to go with the Audeo Q50 as your first choice. See if you could try both, but Nera Pro was limited to the NAL-NL2 rationale, which I am not a HUGE fan of. Audeo Q50 at least will give you more high frequency help… and SoundRecover (frequency lowering, although with your loss it still won’t be ideal).

You’re in tough situation. Like I said, I would try both if thats what you are limited to.

you need to do more research.

Thank you all for taking the time to advise me. I really appreciate it. I can get the Phonak Audeo Q50 for only $1,200 via my insurance company, but if the Oticon Dynamo or Chili SP, or one of the Widex aids with Audibility Extender would help me hear a lot better than the Audeo Q50, then I am willing to pay more for that. I was unaware of this Audibility Extender technology. It sounds AWESOME and EXCITING, so I will be reading up on it. Thanks again. I appreciate all input.

P.S. I don’t see any bone-conduction test results on my last Audiogram, but I know I’ve had those before. My speech recognition, unaided, was 50% in the Right Ear at 90db and <10% in the Left Ear at 110db. My left ear is worthless. If I plug my right ear, I am in total silence unless a tugboat goes by blasting its Foghorn or a lightening bolt hits next to me. My left ear has been a candidate for a CI for at least a decade, but I’ve avoided doing that, as I said before, because I don’t want that cochlear destroyed. I’m hoping that the work Dr Staecker is doing down at Univ of KS will help the left ear within a few years and if I do a CI, it can’t ever help it. I have functioned fairly well using the most powerful aid there is in the right ear, with a built-in FM receiver for use at times. I have a Roger Pen microphone too. It’s just time for a new aid because the current one is 4 years old and is malfunctioning. After reading about the Widex Unique (thanks doubledown), it looks like it may the aid for me. My insurance program is partnered with TruHearing and it looks like I’ll be able to get the Unique 440 for $2,000. I am wondering though if the Widex SUPER would be the better choice. I need the best aid there is for PROFOUND hearing loss.

I am actually trying to mix with my Sears top of the line BTE 5300. First, my audiologist told me they would work directly with Bluetooth. No. Proprietary streamer. And he just is not knowledgeable about eq or anything. I do have some luck in being able to wear headphones without the feedback I have gotten on earlier models. At my age, and at this expense, if I cannot get him to do what I want I am going to have to go above him. I hope not, but I am retired and fairly intelligent and literate. And it sounds like you and I have the same problem. I am glad I can play bass. Those frequencies have not been affected. I have noticed that pitch is a problem now. I can hear a song I know how to play, for Gods sake, and it will sound atonal until my mind hones in on it and then it sounds right. This is a wonderful thing for a musician, yes? Most of these people just rip off old people because they do not have to do so much work. My gut actually said to me that I am the only one who uses the streamer. What does that say? It is really a racket. I might have some fun if I put my mind to it.

I meant my audiologist.