Oticon My Music for a Singer?

My Oticon IIC and CIC both also did not end up with a large vent even though my audi had written, as large as possible (again, I had them remade several times each time making sure it was specified). My Phonak vent is much bigger and nice and round, while the Oticons seems like someone manually cutting a sliver of a hole with a knife…

Also, for me (mild low conductive loss), I schedule to go into the audi to have my aid adjusted every two weeks for a total of 4 or so appointments. I have to have my aid set as the absolute lowest to begin with, and gradually adjusted up. Though I acclimate very well to louder/softer, the immediate loudness of the aid was not tolerable so this is the method that works for adjusting the aid for me.

I’ve also tried a Widex CIC (whatever their smallest ITE) and hated them, both fit and sound; don’t remember what the vent was like on that one.

1 Like

@PianoJoy I don’t think the combination of the small vent, plus one one program with no control, is going to work. Yes, the Oticon vent from the front looks like a sliver.

When I’m in the classroom, I do want a program with “help”. When I’m listening to music or out in nature, I don’t want “help”. I want to hear everything, with no filter.

When I’m at a social event, I want to be able to adjust to what is comfortable, depending on that event.

When I’m at home, I don’t really need to wear anything. But in busy situations outside of home, it will make my job go better for sure, at a minimum.

I may wear one at home and two when I go to work…and sometimes none at home. Not really sure yet.

Maybe I could consider Phonak IIC if they have phone controls.

One program is not going to meet my needs. I have already asked to exchange these for a trial of Intents.

Maybe he said most of his patients don’t need multiple adjustment appointments because Intents allow users to do their own adjustments with the phone app?

@Volusiano it is turning out to be for me too.

Ask for them with the Music program on as default.

This will kill off most of the automatic functionality and give a better sounding response. You can always wind up the Moresound navigation a bit to increase the dynamic filtering, but in reality you’re going to be getting more from your natural pinna effect as the aids only have one mic (with a T-filter) that is likely to block unless you’re pretty scrupulous.

Ignore the manufacturer’s spiel about dB in noise, most of that only applies to binaural twin mic set-ups. I think the 4dB is optimistic with Omni mics.

Given your weird loss, it’s possible that the less processed sound the better, anyway, as you’ll be comparing amplified and unamplified sounds in your brain. We fit a few Owns and have a few IIC kicking about. They’ll work, but it’s more a case that they’ll be filling the gaps in your hearing, rather than ‘ a whole new World’ experience.

1 Like

What @Um_bongo says makes a lot of sense to me. The OP primarily needs to fill the gap on the high frequency loss of the right ear, and perhaps just a tiny bit for the left ear. For folks with very slight, limited range loss like this, I’d imagine that their hearing loss is not mainly causing speech in noise issues for them, but maybe simply more amplification is needed to restore the loss they have in a limited area of frequencies. So the less processing, the more hearing is opened up for them to help restore the audibility that they loss. What I mean is that this kind of loss still affords the patient a lot of dynamic room to discern the subtle nuances of various sounds in most frequency areas where speech matters, so too much noise suppression processing is not only unnecessary for them, but even detrimental by taking away their original hearing experience.

1 Like

@Um_bongo , “the less processed sound, the better”, sounds good. Except in the severe range, where I’m told there is no way for me to access a lot of that, other than through speech frequency lowering.

The music program as a default sounds like an excellent idea.

I am skeptical about staying with the Owns because of the small vent and the plugged up feeling. It’s not really “invisible” at all, either. It’s not visible at certain angles, but at others it is. There’s just no way to adjust it, which doesn’t feel good. Even with the Nera Pro 2, I have 2 programs and a choice between them.

Right now, with the Nera Pro 2, I’m able to integrate the amplified sounds into the rest of my hearing very comfortably. The open fit seems to be ideal for that.

@Volusiano it is probably true that with all of the missing information provided, through amplification and speech frequency lowering, I won’t need much else in noisy situations. The untreated loss is causing “speech in noise issues”, though. In a lot of noise, missing parts of some words, I end up guessing and guessing wrong sometimes. A very noisy setting seems to make the loss affect speech sounds that are also near the affected areas on the audiogram, but not actually in the affected areas, for some reason. I’m not sure why that is. For example, I missed the D sound in “due” today.

This seems to be exactly true: “too much noise suppression processing is not only unnecessary for them, but even detrimental by taking away their original hearing experience.”

Too much noise suppression does make it harder for me to use of my natural hearing, so I end up not being helped. I actually got a headache on the left side of my head from wearing those aids. Today, I didn’t wear them more than 2 minutes, and I have no headache. My body was clearly rejecting them.

The ‘plugged up’ (occlusion) is going to be an issue with any aid. In order to keep the gain in your ear before risking feedback/also physical limits.

I have a Nera Pro open fit and that doesn’t feel plugged up at all. I’d like to get something smilar for the left side, and have some phone connectivity.

Better venting: I meant any IIC aid where the canal space is limited.

1 Like