Oticon More Hearing Aids from the VA?

Does anyone here have Oticon More hearing aids that they got from the VA? The reason for asking is that I have an appointment at my local VA clinic next week and I am hoping to get a hearing test and new hearing aids. I have just read on the Oticon website that the VA now has the More’s as of Nov 1. I have Oticon OPN aids now that I have had for a little over four years and my hope is that I am eligible for new aids and I think the More’s would be my first choice. My second choice would probably be Phonak Paradise. Are they available from the VA? Thanks for any help, comments or recommendations.

@cvkemp has made many posts about his experience with the VA and his Oticon aids, the latest being More 1s.

1 Like

I have the More from the VA. Prior I had the OPN S1, also from the VA. The VA is usually up to date with the newest aids because they let new contracts every six months, I believe in May and Nov.

2 Likes

The VA replaces aids every four years and the Mores are available.

1 Like

Yes I have been wearing them since mid June and they are the very best that I have had, the VA has been providing my aids for over 16 years now. The More1 aids are my fifth set of Oticon aids and they just keep getting better, at least for my hearing needs.
But I will be honest the aids that your audiologist is best with will be your best choice.

2 Likes

I just received new Phonak P90-r hearing aids in Sep. My audiologist said they are eligible for replacement in 3 years, when the warranty runs out.

3-4 years is the range given in the VHA Directive 2008-070

(4) Replacing hearing aids and eyeglasses in accordance with VHA Handbooks 1173.7 and 1173.12, to include: NOTE: Hearing aids or eyeglasses are not to be replaced solely for cosmetic purposes.
(a) Hearing aids or eyeglasses are to be replaced when the device proves to be ineffective, irreparable, or the veteran’s medical condition has changed and a different device is needed.
(b) Hearing aids or eyeglasses are to be replaced if the device was destroyed or lost due to circumstances beyond the control of the veteran.
© Hearing aids or eyeglasses are not to be replaced because of availability of newer technology, unless there is evidence that the replacement will significantly benefit the veteran.
(d) For hearing aids, replacement may be based on age of the device, whether they are beyond economical repair, technical performance is reduced, parts or accessories are unavailable, or the device is no longer sufficient for the veteran’s communication needs.
(e) Replacement hearing aids can be prescribed at any time that change of amplification characteristics are required to maintain or improve communication function. Hearing aids have an expected life span of 3 to 4 years depending on the model of the instrument, daily hours of use, wear and tear, frequency of repair and maintenance, ear conditions, and user lifestyle.

2 Likes

It also depends on the changes I. A person’s hearing loss. I have gotten the OPN1 aids in late 2018, then the OPNS1 aids in the spring of 2020, then the More1 aids June of this year. It has been a progressive to recover my word recognition with hearing aids. The OPN1 were ITE aids and were never powerful enough, the OPNS1 aids were much better but my audiologist couldn’t adjust them to give the word recognition score we were hoping for, the More1 aids have been really good and my word recognition score has been even better than expected. I also must say my audiologist had given me the talk about CI options due to my word recognition scores

2 Likes

Thank you all for the good information. I have been wearing hearing aids since the late 90’s and I am on I think my fifth pair. The first few were on my own and the last couple are from the VA. I have been relatively happy with the OPN’s that I have but feel that they are not working as well for now as they did when I first got them but maybe that’s because I know newer technology is available. In quiet circumstances I hear very well. I struggle some when I am in noisy circumstances to understand speech and also to deal with the noise. It can drive me batty to sit in a real noisy restaurant. I play golf and on a windy day I am almost better off to just take them out because the wind noise makes it tough to hear depending on which direction I am facing relative to the wind.

One more question: Do VA audiologists do the real ear fitting as a matter of course when they issue new hearing aids to us? On my present aids it was done and it made a real difference I think.

Real Ear Measurement is a part of the fitting process at the VA.

Be certain to have the AuD reprogram your OPN’s with the new audiogram, so they’ll be up to date, and serve as your backup pair.

3 Likes

Yes I have had real ear test any time i.got new aids, had repairs, or major changes to my ear molds.

2 Likes

VA audiologists have been doing REM since before it was a thing…
Best wishes
Dan

2 Likes

Had the Audi put a noise in crowds program on my More 1 and it’s great. I use it as soon as I walk in a restaurant and I’m always amazed how much words just become so much clearer and the noise drifts to the background. I wear mine daily and am also a golfer. When the wind is bad I usually just turn mine down until it doesn’t bother me and then turn them back up when the round is over.

1 Like

I Had a hearing test with the VA last week as mentioned in another post my hearing has deteriorated considerbly over the last two years so they are issuing me new aids or CROS I chose to go with new aids since I can return them for the CROS if needed. While I was there I asked about a REM test when the new aids come in and after my current aids have been sent in for repair.

She pointed to the REM equipment and said that it was new and none of the audis have been trained on it so It is not avalible yet. The clinic is brand new and has only been open since July so everthing is new.

That being said I have asked several times for a REM test for the last two years but have not had one yet.

1 Like

That seems totally amazing, since I have had REM at least since Y2K. Unless it is a new type equipment they have? My audi never fails to do that test.
Best wishes for you on your new aids…
Dan

3 Likes

I have always gotten REM test since the first set of aids from the VA. I have been to 5 different clinics in two states over the years.

2 Likes

You should escalate this problem to the Audiology Chief.
She/he will take corrective action.

3 Likes

I had my VA appt this afternoon. The hearing test was the most thorough one I have ever had by a long shot. My hearing has not had any big changes since my last test a little over four years ago. I have had some loss in the higher frequencies though. He took earmold impressions for new hearing aids. After the test he asked me if I had any preference as to what new hearing aids I would like. I told him likely either the More’s or the Phonak Paradise and asked him what he thought. He said that those would probably be the top two choices and I could really go either way. I decided to go with the More’s so that’s what he is ordering. Unfortunately they are so backed up on appointments it will be mid January before he can get me in to do the REM fitting on the new aids omce they come in. It took two and a half months to get the appointment I had today. The other VA clinics in my area as well as the main hospital are just as backed up or worse.

Thanks again to all who replied to my messages.

Unfortunately that’s par for the course with the VA.
The old addage “Hurry Up and Wait” still applies.

I also had to play the waiting game, here in So. Ca.
But, at least you’re on the path.
Let us know how it goes.

It depends on where you live. I.live in Arkansas and we have community clinics throughout the state. I normally get appointments with in a couple days to a couple week. We also get very personalized care. I have lived in an area with a large population and the wait time was longer.

Any busy business that had to shut down for months will be backed up on appts. Plus between Thanksgiving and New Years lots of folks like to take vacation.

Relax and enjoy

1 Like