Oticon Intiga review - someone?

I’ve been wearing HAs for four months now. I’m a very active user - in meetings of all sizes, lunch meetings, coffee, overseas travel (dealing with many cultures and accents). Plus, I love my music, and an open fit allows all of the low frequency (40Hz - 250Hz bass notes, kick drum, etc) to come through. Communication is key to everything I do and HAs have made all the difference in the world. However, I’m getting fed up with all of the fiddling and misfit of my current HAs - Sonic Flip 100s (in another thread).

My audi is doing a good job, but is limited on the wire size, etc. She is very high on the Oticon Intiga. I’ve read a 28 page download on the “Audiology of Intiga” by Oticon. They are very directed at first time users, but they have changed the wire style (more flexible) and put a curvature on the receiver for better retention in the ear.

There are several mentions of the Intiga on the forum, but no real thread of discussion that I can find about the benefits of them. They are small and have no volume or program change buttons (can only be changed with remote), but, according to the audi, are “smarter” about auto adjusting to the environment with the thought that there’s more of a “set it and forget it” ability.

I’d appreciate it if any users or pros could post your thoughts and experience on the use. I’d be a candidate for the Intiga 10. I’m well past my return option on my other HAs, and know that I can demo these with a 30-45 day return (but have to plunk down the money). Hearing is so critical to everything I do, I’m willing to invest, but want to know the thoughts of users and the pros here before I take that step.

Any thoughts you have to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

PS. I’m also interested in the Intiga “i” invisible IIC. However, the frequency range starts at 250Khz, so I’d be interested in how much it masks the lower frequency where my hearing is close to normal. I love my music, but the bottom end bass guitar and kick are very important to my listening. I had posted questions about how much the Intiga IIC or Starkey Otolens (Soundlens) limited that, but got no responses.

Somebody needs to post this in the high frequency hearing aid thread!

That frequency should be high enough for them, even though they could not hear it!

BTW, I expect you meant 250 Hz ?

:wink:

Great aids! if I thought they would handle my work enviroment I would keep the ones I am trailing. Nearly invisible

ktm… you said they are great aids, but won’t handle your work environment. What work do you do?

prodigy… yep… let’s make it 250HZ… I’m sure 250Khz is way above dog hearing too!!!

I’m trying out some Oticon Intiga 10s right now. I’ve had them for about a month but I’m returning them tomorrow as I just can’t get them to stay in the ear canal. It’s very frustrating - I like the sound quality when they are in the canal… I have also had difficulty with the wires staying next to my head. We’ve tried different lengths and reshaping the wires but it is just too frustrating. I’ve been trying to find a hearing aid for months now and I’m getting kind of worried. So far, I have tried the Phonak Audeo Smart and the Sonic Innovations Groove. Let me know if any of you know of some magic solution!:rolleyes:

A friend of mine had the same problem and what they finally did was make a custom earmold to hold it in his ear and it finally stayed put. Good luck!

Didy... I'm having precisely the problem you are. I'm wearing the Sonic Flips and 1 set of wires is a bit too short and the receiver migrates out. Constantly having to poke my ears, you know, to get them back. This week, we tried the next size wire and they are too long. Not migrating now, but the wire pops up on the ear, and my wife says they are really noticeable. My audi says there is nothing in between with the Sonics and trying to reshape the wires wouldn't work well with far too much length on the longer ones. I was hoping with the different wire configuration on the Intigas, along with the curved receiver, that people would have a different experience. Very, very frustrating. I know now why so many people just give up... but I won't!

Did you notice any sound differences between the three that you could comment on?

seb… I went the custom mold route. They were made of a soft material and were horribly occluding, despite the fact they drilled as big a vent hole as they could. I thought it might be compressing the vent because they fit so tightly in the ear and were a flexible material, so I took them back and they are remaking them in hard acrylic with the maximum possible venting. But, from that experience, I don’t have high hopes for the new ones. My problem is I have almost normal hearing to 2K and it shuts out the lows… even adjusting and adding those in, frequencies below the range of the HA - 250Hz - still get lost - and I hate missing that in music, which is important to me.

My friends molds are clear acrylic with a vent.

MWP I am an electrical service technician. I work in dirty enviroments and so I am concerned they will not handle this. I am thinking about the NaidaS or Cassia H2O. I really like the Intiga though it is so small, it does a great job. My intial thoughts were what you want me to walk out of here with no controls whatsoever, woman you are mad! I went back a week later and the Audie turned down the background volume and increased the speech area and today went to scratch my ear and forgot I had an aid in. I had a problem with my left aid coming out of the canal, a bigger dome was fitted and all is good. I would really like to keep them but can’t afford to take the chance of doing damage to them, at the price hearing aids are. The other two options above are bigger and this is an issue for me as they are more visible. So I am torn between vanity and practicality

[quote=MWP;82251]
Didy…
I’m having precisely the problem you are. I’m wearing the Sonic Flips and 1 set of wires is a bit too short and the receiver migrates out. Constantly having to poke my ears, you know, to get them back. This week, we tried the next size wire and they are too long. Not migrating now, but the wire pops up on the ear, and my wife says they are really noticeable. My audi says there is nothing in between with the Sonics and trying to reshape the wires wouldn’t work well with far too much length on the longer ones. I was hoping with the different wire configuration on the Intigas, along with the curved receiver, that people would have a different experience. Very, very frustrating. I know now why so many people just give up… but I won’t!

Did you notice any sound differences between the three that you could comment on?"

MWP, at first I really liked the Phonak, it was small but still had the ability to control volume if needed. But then I noticed a horrible reverberation whenever I would sing and they would periodically make speech very difficult to understand - worse than w/out aids! The Groove was just ridiculous and I never should have been fitted for those with my type of loss (moderate high frequency loss) but I had been working with this Audi for several months at this point. I had to fire her after that. :wink: way too much occlusion and my ear canal was too small to allow the components to be out of site. If I ate a piece of soft bread, I couldn’t hear what someone right next to me was saying cuz the chewing was too loud!

Glad you aren’t giving up! I won’t either but I’m so glad I found this site - I was beginning to feel like my ears should be donated to science because of their freakishness!!:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sorry and happy at the same time. Sorry you’re going through this…Happy, because that’s my experience too! I love the small. I’m hating the horrible divots in my ears from the wire and the pushing them back in. I see pictures of people with hearing aid tubes that lay flat against their head and are barely noticeable. That’s not happening for me. I thought it was the Aud. that didn’t know what they were doing. Then I was told that my ears lay close (i translate as “normal”) to my head. This makes the aid tube come over my ear at a weird angle. He said if I had more space the tube could stay close. When I try to bend the tube, it just springs back.:confused:
Please let us know if any of you find a good solution. I’m also torn with the whole vanity/practicality issue. Also, having a cord around my neck all the time for the remote is getting uncomfortable…
Scott

Mine lay flat, do not work themselves out, and do not cut into my ears. I do replace the domes ever 6 weeks because at that point they do start to work out. First I would make sure the wire is not too short (maybe just try the longer one, even if you “measure” for the shorter one).

Then, there is a method to re-bend the wire. I have tried it with mixed results. The best results I got were doing exactly what you need. I changed the direction a little of the wire as it comes out of the body of the hearing aid. I also tried to change the bend at the elbow where it turns to go in your ear. That eventually worked its way back to the original shape. Use a regular, handheld hair dryer, on medium and heat up the wire. The plastic cover on the wire gives it its shape. The trick is to bend it to the configuration you want, heat it up while still holding it in place. remove the heat, still holding it in place until it is completely cool.

The risks are obvious, you are bending the wire right where it comes out of the hearing aid so the hearing aid itself may get too hot. You may also over-do it and weaken the wire or the plastic around the wire. Thirdly, it is very difficult to hold the hot wire in place with a hair dryer blowing on it so you will have to come up with a way to hold it securely without pinching or creasing the soft, hot wire/plastic. But, it can be done.

EDIT: This is, of course, for a RIC, RIE, RITE type, Reciever in the Canal where the part going from the hearing aid into the ears is a wire covered in plastic, not a hollow tube.

The trick is to adopt a mould and heatsink: the shaft of a screwdriver will do fine; pick a radius that suits the bend you want.

KTM… from what I understand, the Intigas have added quite a bit of moisture protection and have covered the mics so they are not directly exposed. They appear to be more “seamless” and less subject to the elements than my current Sonics that have some nanocoating but full exposure of the mic. At first, I was put back by having no controls, since the Flips have both program and volume on the HAs. However, most changing has been done discreetly via a remote anyway. After my last audi visit and adjustment, I haven’t touched the controls, other than changing it to the music program for music or watching a movie (the audi is trying to get me to my target and told me to quit turning things down - she’s right). If the Intigas are even designed better, I’m feeling that I can live without controls on the HAs. If you really like these, you may want to compare the protection to others, but I suspect they will be pretty good in comparison.

Mark

MWP,

the Intiga i 10 has a frequency range of 100-9700 Hz

Hi,

yesterday got my first HAs. Since I am from Lithuania (east of europe), some brands are not available.
so I chose intiga i8 IIC. Could you explain me with occlusion effect. I cant understand is it occlusion effect or just my low adaption (ok, only one day and some more configuration must be done), but still. When I was in audie’s room, there was no occlusion, but outside, where is a lot of noises, my ears some how blocks and after all I feel occlusion.
My audie warned me before that he is not confident about my possibilities with IIC, but still, they did it and placed vents.

So in conclusion my questions would sound like this:
How much the vents should be big to prevent from occlusion (or it is very personal thing ? ) Cant find anywhere picture (of a real HAs) with really big vent.
Have you experience similar thing that after “noisy situation” your ears become occluded, but if you were HAs only in a room, no problem.

If someone could comment my reply, would appreciate it.

Hi MWP

I have tried and bought the Intiga 10’s , i reviewed them in my thread here:

If you check my above mentioned review , i tested RIC style against Phonaks’s micro CIC’s , they had big vents. I dont know about your hearing loss but in my case the occlusion effect became very obvious after i tried open fit RIC’s.

Good Luck

I just finished reading your Intega review thread Silver_Cat and I wanted to thank you.

I’m a new hearing aid wearer and have had Phonak Audeo Q90’s for about two months now. After 3 adjustments I have them sounding very good and natural, but unfortunately the compression settings on the right HA are causing static with background noise. This noise is very common (outside traffic, tire noise in the car, fans, etc.) and so far the audiologist has been unable to eliminate it without reducing speech clarity (robbing from Peter to pay Paul).

So last week my audiologist ordered a pair of Integas for me to try. My audiologist thinks very highly of the Oticons and I am hoping my experience with them is as good as yours.