Oticon Intent user review

On the contrary, things are much better with Samsung S22 than before.

actually I find your posts to be informative and helpful. I often make posts that are technically wrong but that move the discussion along. Yours tend to be right more often than not.

2 Likes

@jeffrey thank you very much!
I appreciate the feedback and support.

2 Likes

You’re more informed than I am, so thanks to you for your input!

We’re a community in discussion. It’s a kind of seminar, in a way. The discussion always brings up new ideas and information. I’m in the camp of those who throw out ideas in the moment. I’m busy elsewhere, after all. Some ideas stick, some slide down the wall undercooked. No matter, they’re jsut ideas! We’re all busy after all.

1 Like

The ongoing issues of the Oticon Intent with Bluetooth (BT) connectivity also persist with the Samsung 24+, even using the LE audio feature On or OFF.

I’ve now had the intents for just over 3 weeks and the phone just a few days longer. The intents, once initially BT paired with the phone and using the new Oticon App all seemed to work fine for the first 15 minutes. Had good BT pairing, excellent volume, phone rang trough the Aids and I had 2-way communications.

just after leaving the audiologist’s office, BT pairing was lost, direct Phone ringing through the Phone lost. and only 1-way communication (receive but no Transmit), after turning Aids Off and On to repair with BT. These issues persist now and occasionally I get 2-way communication, and phone ringing trough the Aids.

I have tried every kind of BT re-pairing test for the past 3 weeks, clearing Oticon App’s, Cache and Data to start over a number of time, cleared my Phone App cache, turning LE Audio Function On then off; BT unpairing, re-pairing, Phone restarting, etc. recoding each step taken. Had Samsung check my new Phone out who Noted it is most likely due to MY Rogers App (Phone Company’s), which is known to cause some issue, when initialing the new phone . It’s been disabled now. Makes NO Difference, Samsung now suggesting need to REST the phone and re-image OS!!

Oticon provided a number of suggestions, suggested it was A Samsung BT issue??. ALL there suggested tips have not made a difference.

I am Extremely disappointed with these Aids. and frustrated I’ve spent so much time trying to sort to resolve this connectivity issue. WHY HAS OTICON NOT resolved this yet or reached out to us!!

1 Like

Have you tried deleting or force quitting the Oticon app?

I don’t have the Intents, but the Philips 9040 (another Demant aid). Whenever I open the Philips app I have Bluetooth problems. Bluetooth works perfectly when the app is not running.

Hmm, my experience with the S23 standard and the Jabra 20’s is the opposite. Streaming is thin and hard with no bass and often only comes through one channel. At last half the time I can not answer phone calls and the caller just hears static–including my audiologist who tried calling me with both her cell phone and a landline.

My KS10’s sound great streaming: no deep bass, but still some, and the midrange sounds like high end headphones. I may return them if Jabra can’t solve these issues.

I am having similar problems with the Jabra 20s, which also have LE Audio.

Thanks for the tip. I have yet to try force quitting or deleting the App yet. Will give it a try.

Have cleared its Cache and data to start the initial start up and pairingb process twice.

Oticon has suggested to keep their App open . Tried that for past 2 weeks and that has made little difference

I do have the Oticon Intends, and also find that the tapping of the ear or pressing to answer works. I have tried numerous times to no avail. the 2-way communication works periodically, but most of the time it does not.

Still can not establish why it does not work as advertised nor when it dose work, what is different??

I have an S23 Ultra and the Jabra Enhance Pro 20s. What has worked for me is:

1. Increase “Streaming Bass Boost” in the fitting software. The default is mild. Also do you have the same type domes with the KS10s? I found open domes let much of the streaming bass leak out. Closed domes gave me a much better bass response as well.

2. Turn off LE Audio and use the default ASHA protocol. It is way more stable and I can get and take phone calls without problems. Also, the phone calls are clear for me and who I call.

For me, in the morning, when I first start streaming after taking the HAs out of their charging case, I need to toggle Bluetooth off and on to hear music from both ears. After that, if and when I loose sound in one HA, which can happen when switching from phone calls back to streaming again, I only need to go into the streaming app and pause and restart the sound. I seldom toggle Bluetooth now.

Let me know if any of this helps.

2 Likes

I am in my first few days trial with the Oticon Intents and so far am impressed. I do not wear aids yet (on the cusp of needing them) but have increasing difficulty with noise in the background. Last year I tried both Oticon and Phonak models and while both made some difference to my hearing it wasn’t enough to justify the high cost. But the new Intents are actually significantly better. I gave them a real test last night in a very noisy restaurant and was able to hear my companions clearly. Also, the sound quality in normal settings feels more natural than last year’s model. Occasionally my own voice sounds a bit tinny but I gather that is somewhat of a brain adjustment thing. For the trial my audiologist has them set to just 80% of my profile so I expect even better results once they are fully dialed in. I agree with previous contributors that the bluetooth is still sub par. Mine is fine in my house - seamlessly flips between my Iphone Pro 15 and Ipad - but when I step outside the BT starts getting glitchy because the apartments nearby have cell towers on the roof and that seems to interfere with the BT outdoors for several blocks around. I was secretly not wanting to like the Intents because I have been resisting the cost and image change related to wearing HAs, but these ones just may convince me.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thorough response. I want the kind of “hands free” experience that I have with my KS10s. I believe that I need LE audio on for that as well as for streaming from my Windows 11 computer. I bought an Auracast USB transmitter for the laptop and it works, but doesn’t sound as good as with my KS10s, which use classic Bluetooth. The domes are a double dome, which I have not seen before.

One poster here said that the problems arose with the latest Samsung update to 6.1, so I am waiting for another Samsung update before trying again.

BTW, I have the M*rie receivers. I don’t know how that effects the streaming sound…

Agree that with Samsung S22, the streaming is much better. However, Samsung S22 is Bluebooth 5.2 and supports BLE, but LE audio does not work on it and no HFP either. Hate to invest in a new S23 or S24 for this purpose.

My partner came from the KS10s and now has the S24 and the EP 20s as well. She too needs the full hands-free experience. But because of the LE Audio issues she got the PhoneClip+.

What USB transmitter did you get? Did you need to disable the Bluetooth driver on your Windows 11 computer?

Those double domes they are often called power domes. And yes they should help streaming. It is what I have.

Maybe so, the ASHA protocol got better then…go figure. I am waiting too.

I have the M&RIE Receivers as well and they don’t seem to hurt streaming any at all.

If streaming bass boost in the fitting software does not help I don’t know what to tell you. I guess I’m having a considerably different experience.

The Auracast dongle is from MoerLab. Found it on Amazon. I did disable BT in my laptop. I am going to wait until Samsung figures out the problems before trying my Jabras again. The KS10s with fresh batteries are working better than ever. Then I will go back to the fitter and ask for bass boost in streaming

That’s not why, outside you don’t have surfaces for BT to reflect off [it just gets dispersed], it’s an issue with many BT devices [especially Low Energy ones]. It might sound crazy but some people wear hats with wide brim to help with this.

3 Likes

Tinfoil hats with the wide brim? :slight_smile:

You joke, but that’s what people actually do, they line the brim with tinfoil :grinning:

2 Likes

I am trying them again. Streaming quality doesn’t seem to change when I turn LF audio on and off. I will see how phones calls do with LE audio off and have to use the phone mic.