Oticon Intent user review

You might try super-soft silicone. It made a big difference in comfort for me. Irritation could be from pressure, not material. I got clear, not the colors and glitter that they feature.

https://microsonic-inc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/Microsonic_M25-PLATINUM_2022.pdf

2 Likes

Thanks for that lead x475aws! I added a link to Microsonic to my list of things to ask the audi next week. I would SO LOVE a custom, snug-fit mold that gives me maximum sound quality. As it is, if I push in my gooshy double-domes IN a hundred times a day, I find that when pushed IN they give me a BIG boost in volume. Dang things just work their way out of my ear canals non-stop all day long.

2 Likes

The phones don’t have Tcoil built into them. The old land line based phones have magnetic-based speakers on their handsets, and these speakers generates a magnetic field to drive the paper-based speakers to generate sound. It’s this magnetic field that gets induced into the tcoil from the hearing aids to convert it into electrical sound signal.

The modern smart phones’ speaker for phone conversation is too small and may not generate a magnetic field that can be used for the tcoil in the hearing aids anymore. But the tcoil is still useful if the user wants to use a pair of headphones, and in some churches or theater venues, they may still have induction loop audio available as well. But I think the main remaining use for tcoil nowadays is mostly for use with over the ear headphones.

4 Likes

Talk about the GNAT on the dog’s tail waggin’ the DOG! I guess some folks would use OTE headphones when flying on noisy planes for long trips? Ack. I’d rather read a book and then stream music with no headphones when I get to my destination. :slightly_smiling_face:

I set my aids to phone t-coils with microphones for using our home phone or if i have to use a phoneline at times. Granted it isn’t very often nowadays but untii can finally talk my wife our of the need for a dedicated home phone i do have to take calls at home at times. I also use t-coils with microphones at church services. And yes at times i use the t-coils with my Bose headphones.

1 Like

The use of headphones nowadays for hearing challenged folks is not just for noise cancellation on the airplane. Many folks have decent hearing in the low frequencies and only hearing loss in the mid to high frequency range. This is what is called precipitous loss or ski slop loss.

The hearing aids cannot provide a low frequency bass response like a good big pair of headphones can, due to the tiny size hearing aid receivers. So when listening to music, many ski slope loss hearing aids wearer still use headphones to get that great bass response naturally from the headphones, and on top of that, get the compensated amplification for the high frequency hearing loss from the hearing aids.

2 Likes

That would be me. I listened to “Deep Tracks” on SiriusXM yesterday for three hours while doing yard cleanup with OTE headphones. Loved It!

1 Like

I believe you will find the Auracast option on Samsung Galaxy S23/S24 phones with UI 6.1. They support LE Audio and Auracast.

“Listen to Auracast Broadcast” shows up in the Bluetooth HA settings for my Jabra Enhance Pro 20s which supports the same.

1 Like

I can’t find the “Listen to Auracast Broadcast” on my 15 Pro Max anywhere. Where do you see this?

It isn’t available for the iPhones, Apple hasn’t seen fit to offer it as of yet.

1 Like

What I am finding interesting is what Oticon is describing as smart receivers. It seems that the receivers for the INTEND aids have some type of processing built unto them along within the INTEND aids’ processor that is smart enough for the aids to ensure that what sounds make it to the ear is within a better calibration than in the past. From what I have been reading this is lending to the higher levels of clarity that so many are saying they are getting over what they have heard even with the Real aids. This seems to be what is giving users of the INTEND aids a higher level of speech understanding as well as I imaging to be better sounding music.

1 Like

You are correct! I made some changes this morning before going to my second day of the networking event and it was much better. I have the blessing from my audiologist to go into Genie2 and make some changes without having to go back to her office. I only used the speech in noise once today to compare and I feel like I wouldn’t have needed it. That was a good day! The change I made was to set it to “Detail” even in the general program for difficult situation.

3 Likes

Yes, I am experiencing improved speech understanding and listening to music has improved too. So think it is a combination of both the hearing aids and receivers.

1 Like

I read on another thread that power domes are the default domes recommended by the manufacturer for the Oticon Intent, even with mild to moderate hearing loss.

Is everyone wearing power domes with the Oticon Intent HAs?

I wear power domes with my Jabra EP 20s but they were not the default. Open domes are. I am curious :thinking:. Thanks.

I don’t think that the self-calibrating receivers used by the Intent necessarily gives significantly better clarity compared to the normal passive receivers used by the Real and previous models. I think the main advantage of the new type of receivers is just what it’s called → “self calibrating”. The advantage there is that as the receivers age/get worn out from repeated use, the self calibration feature will continue to keep them performing with the same quality as on day one.

So comparing the older passive receiver type with the newer self calibrating receiver, their performance shouldn’t be significantly different from day one of use. But maybe 6 months to a year or more later, the older passive receiver may start to gradually reduce its performance level due to wear and tear, while the newer self calibrating receiver may continue to maintain the same performance standard as on day 1.

As for reliability, it’s hard to say which one lasts longer, but the money is on the simpler passive design. However, even if it lasts longer, but if it degrades in performance gradually, the user may not notice a difference to know to replace it sooner rather than later.

Price wise and availability wise, I’m pretty sure the older passive receiver type wins hands down, because right now it’s a universal type that is used by most hearing aid brands, except for the Active Vent receiver type promoted by Phonak.

So I have mixed feelings about the new self calibrating receivers that Oticon released on the Intent. During the 3 year warranty, it’s great to have it. But after the warranty is over, it’s probably cheaper to have the old passive style so that its maintenance replacement can be more easily found as well as can be much cheaper. You can probably just replace a passive receiver twice a year (to avoid degradation issue) and still probably come out ahead of having to buy a self calibrating receiver money-wise. Not to consider that you can buy passive receivers from eBay and replace it yourself when out of warranty. With the self-calibrating receivers, their only source might be from the HCP network only, prompting possible excess service charge on top of replacement cost charge from the HCP.

1 Like

I haven’t had but one receiver go bad in my time of wearing aids, and that was due to a broken wire. But that could be due to the fact that my aids are given a compete cleaning and diagnostic every 3 months.also my receivers are embedded in my custom ear molds.

Dr Cliff Olsen just released a new YouTube video about the Audible Contrast Threshold test. It’s 9 minutes long but I think is worth watching. It’s noteworthy to repeat that the new version of the Oticon Genie 2 software updated for the Intent now can accept the ACT result and use it to drive the values for the MoreSound Intelligence DNN settings to optimally set up the Intent to match with how well or how badly you do in noisy places.

Even for 2 different people with the same audiogram (hearing loss), their ability to perform in noisy situations are not guaranteed to be the same. As such, Oticon Genie 2’s ability to guess and set the MoreSound Intelligence DNN values based solely on the audiogram is not very accurate and can be more accurate with the input from the ACT test result.

Not all HCPs have the correct/updated version of equipment to allow them to incorporate ACT test to make it available for their clinic. But it’d be worth asking in case they have it available as a test because it’d be worth spending a few extra minutes to get it done to feed the result into Genie 2 for the Intent.

6 Likes

Yeah, I think it also depends on how hard the receivers are driven. I’ve had 105 dB receivers go bad on me once, and I also have 85 dB receivers go bad on me a number of times. But my 85 dB receivers are a little underpower for my level of loss.

1 Like

Thank you this should really help.

That maybe also my reason as my receivers are the 105db. My audiologist said he is using them on my aids to allow my aids to be able to output the maximum amount of audio I need for speech understanding and not create feedback. And I haven’t had any feedback issues since using the 105 receivers and the custom ear molds that i am now using. Also important was the switch to the skeleton retaining system of my ear molds.

1 Like