Oticon Intent user review

Today is April 1st and it’s a joke

3 Likes

My understanding is that you need the connect clip unless your phone is capable of using LE Audio Bluetooth, in which case you can have hands free phone. LE Audio is presumably available once the Sampsung phone is updated to UI 6.1. At least, I hope that is the case.

4 Likes

This easteregg is not my invention. The second screenshot is made just 9 minutes later as I wanted to look for my own Samsung Galaxy S21 in between! I’m baffled

1 Like

I think Oticon is playing a trick on us :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Well as someone that has been wearing nothing but Otocon aids for 14 years, for me they are the real deal. I have tried many other hearing aid brands but I keep getting Otiocn aids. The Oticon sound is what i keep returning to.

3 Likes

Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but neither tap-to-answer or press-to-answer work with my Intent (firmware 1.0.0) and S23 (OneUI 6.1), whether or not “LE Audio” is toggled on or off. I didn’t try on the previous version of OneUI.

The ringtone and microphone both go through the phone and not the hearing aid.

(LC3 isn’t mentioned in the Codec options in the developer menu either. It’s all very mysterious. Audio streaming is still much more reliable than it was on the More/S22 combination though.)

I don’t have the INTEND aids i have the Real1 aids so i don’t have the two way communications. But the streaming to my aids is great.

I have the Jabra Enhance Pro 20 from Costco (Resound) and a Samsung S23 phone and do not need to talk into the phone to be heard. I think that when these HAs came out, it wasn’t possible, so the same may change for you with updates.

1 Like

I have the same issues

Like you I’m a beta tester for Companion. I use the California watch face on my iWatch with the complication so presumably there must be others that work.

Have you checked the Oticon site here to see if there are any issues with your make/model of aid and the make/model of phone used?

I just typed in my Samsung Galaxy Z Flip-4 to see if it connects with Oticon Intent.

How is the streaming sound quality? Do you listen to music through them?

I personally hate the MyMusic program and have to heavily adjust the EQ to make it tolerable. However, I have found the streaming quality on the Intents using LE to be pretty good, despite my issues with the sound. I like the fact you have a separate equalizer for streaming, and can also choose which program to use with streaming (unlike Phonak which force you to use a different streaming program).

If I can get a suitable music program set up, I think I would be happy to stream music direct from the Intents.

1 Like

Just tried playing audio using LE Audio on my mum’s S24. Wow. The claims are definitely true. Very impressive. Very immersive. I am hoping Apple will introduce LE Audio to iPhone in the future… it’s definitely the future.

2 Likes

I’m surprised to hear that BT LE Audio gives you a noticeable improvement over iOS MFI or legacy standard Bluetooth or ASHA. Can you elaborate on how/why you like the BT LE Audio sound better?

1 Like

There was a huge difference for me, it sounded more fuller and immersive whereas MFi is more flat sounding. I did a comparison at the same time.

It did feel like surround sound, and I had to turn the volume down using LE Audio whereas had to turn up MFi so there is a difference in audio quality.

I also tried out how strong the signal was. I went outside of the house, and left the phone inside playing audio, and it didn’t cut off. Very impressive. My iPhone cuts off the minute I walk out of a room.

While it does definitely blow MFi out of the water, I’m stuck in the Apple ecosystem and do prefer it, so just hope Apple jump on the bandwagon sooner than later!

3 Likes

I expect they will roll out LE Audio in the fall when the new iOS version is released about the time the new iPhones come out. Hope that it isn’t only on the new phone.

WH

1 Like

What’s interesting is that I believe most Apple products are already Bluetooth LE Audio ready or capable, since they ship with at least a Bluetooth 5.2 chipset, which is the version of Bluetooth that introduced LE Audio. But LE Audio is not officially supported or enabled yet. For example, my Apple Watch Ultra (from 2022), iPhone 15 Pro Max, and M3 MacBook Pro all have Bluetooth 5.3, an even newer version. So I hope it’s just a software or firmware update that enables the LE Audio functionality that’s already in present in the hardware.

@ssa might know the answer here.

1 Like

LE Audio uses the new LC3 codec, which can deliver high res. audio at lower bitrates than existing codecs.
I can imagine with the new receivers on the Intents, the increased frequency response would be very beneficial utilizing LE Audio.

4 Likes

If it is, I’ll just trade in my iPhone 15 Pro and get the new iPhone. Be worth it for that alone…