Oticon Intent user review

I have the Oticon Real’s now. My previous aids were the Resound Linx3D. I rarely had problems with Bluetooth on the Resounds but Oticon seems to struggle with BT connectivity. I have not had a problem since the last app and firmware update. I have the iPhone 14.

Not sure I understand this. Are you saying that Oticon has been using the same BT hardware and software in every model since the OPN?

The fundamental requirements for MFI shouldn’t have changed. Otherwise, older hearing aids’ designs would be struggling to keep up software-wise with the iPhones. My OPN 1 works fine with my old iPhone 7, then it works fine with my iPhone 12, using the same firmware.

Whether the BT hardware changes is something else. HA mfgs probably update their hardware and add on to their software to incorporate new things, like ASHA support, and now BT LE Audio. But the MFI portion shouldn’t have to be changed because the MFI protocols should remain the same. It’s been stable for years now.

Regardless, the statement I made that “it can’t be a faulty design” is totally irrelevant to be interpreted at all that “Oticon has been using the same BT HW SW in every model since the OPN” like you think. There’s absolutely no such implication in my original statement toward your incorrect interpretation of my intent.

What I said should be understood as “If the flaky connection is actually due to a faulty design, rather than due to a mfg issue with some unreliable parts, then EVERYBODY’s OPN S would have had the same issue that @Gebjeff has, and EVERYBODY who owns the OPN S would have complained to Oticon, and Oticon would have been able to reproduce the issue easily and come up with a fix for it, whether it be a HW fix or SW fix.”

And the fact that @Gebjeff did receive new replacement OPN S1 implies that the issue he had is not a mfg defect issue either. So at least we can eliminate those 2 variables (bad design or mfg defect) out of the list of offending causes.

There is nothing in my statement that said “every model since the OPN”. I only said “all Oticon aids”, implying all the Oticon OPN S aids, which is the specific aid model in discussion here (based on the complaint by @Gebjeff about the OPN S).

By the way, most of the complaints about the More and Real regarding BT connectivity issues have been around the use of the Oticon ConnectClip with them. There are not as many complaints about Oticon aids’ BT connectivity issue with the iOS MFI, although that doesn’t make this issue any less legitimate or real to users who suffer from it, like @Gebjeff .

For the ConnectClip connectivity issue, Oticon has already come out with firmware updates that have seemed to address this issue. It took them a bit longer to figure out how to fix it on the More than on the Real for some reason, but I think they both were fixed.

1 Like

Wow. I’m jealous. I got my Real 1s last summer :disappointed:

your charger for the Intents are designed to clean the contacts as the are put in. So shouldn’t be a problem at all.

2 Likes

I have found that usually the bluetooth issue coming and going or only connecting to one side has more to do with how many apps are open. Most buy their phones with the smaller memory and so it fills up and doesn’t have enough space to connect to both. I recommend closing apps regularly (daily at minimum) and also turning off the phone at least once a month. I have found this has solved it for each case I have had this complaint with.

4 Likes

I keep forgetting this. When I deleted a bunch of apps my blutooth connection became more dependable. time for another clean-out!

1 Like

I can’t see how it would matter/works, unless of course your talking about Apps that hog the bluetooth connection all at once? On android phone just about everything is working in the background anyway, you can force close but it always starts up again, some can be put to sleep for a little while.
So your saying you have to remove them (any Apps or just ones that use Bluetooth,as in uninstall) to get a reliable connection, how many apps is to many?

Tenkan, you’re far more knowledgable with this stuff than me. All I know is that when I deleted a number of never used apps from my phone, my Signia app started working much better. I may have been nothing but the fact of my having turned off and restarting my phone! I have no idea how this stuff works. but having a functioning Signia app that doesn’t fail to connect is very nice.

1 Like

Thank you to all contributors for comments on the effectiveness of the head movement enhancement of the new Intents. I am still using my old More 1s and am now looking forward to the upgrade to Intents (I was not impressed enough with what I reasoned and read about the Real model to justify the expense of the upgrade.

With regards to connectivity, Oticon and we are all constrained with the physics of the Bluetooth signal frequency and signal strength available.

On frequency, I understand the Bluetooth 2.4Ghz radio band does not easily penetrate a lot of solid objects and this includes the human body which radio dudes call a sack of water infused with 4 grams of iron.

Signal strength itself is probably limited by some maximum value set by the World Radiocomms Convention on smart phones and on the hearing aid transmitters themselves. In any case the extra power required to enhance our connectivity would probably have a very detrimental effect on the battery charge cycle of both the phones and the hearing aids.

I have used the Bluetooth connectivity of the various Oticon models for as long as it has been available. My experience has been that only small and incremental improvements have occurred along the journey and the basic connectivity problems still remain. Reading all the comments, I don’t think that any major changes have happened with the new Intent models…and I am not surprised.

When I have my iPhone (13 mini) in my left hip pocket, the signal to (and from?) my right ear hearing aid cuts out. And when my iPhone is in my right hip pocket…vice versa. Basically this is a characteristic of the radio frequency of 2.4Ghz being essentially limited to line of sight.

To work with the physics and retain good and reliable connectivity, I find I have to hold the iPhone in front of me so that the phone can “see” both my ears without its Bluetooth signal having to try penetrate some part of my body. Lying my phone on my desk in front of me also works well.

So some very smart technology needs to be dreamed up, agreed upon by all the stakeholders and implemented before this problem can be put to bed.

Apple Airtags and iPhones, Tiles and Android phones etc, are tracked all over the World through cooperative signals of any opportunistic passing device. So, perhaps one day some method of meshing “cooperative” Bluetooth devices to catch and relay signals from all directions between the hearing aid and the associated phone app might eventually happen?

2 Likes

When on a Samsung Galaxy 23 phone using the Intents, can the other party hear you without having the phone by your mouth?

Interested fact to know

No, when using the S23 (using OneUI 6.1) for calls the voice goes through the phone mic only, not the Intent hearing aid microphone. Toggling the LE Audio switch on the phone makes no difference, which is strange.

1 Like

It should go through the hearing aids if you tap the aids to start the call. Did it work before the update to OneUI 6.1?

You can find the answer to these questions on the Oticon website.
Te answer to your question is yes, it has two way communication as it is called…. WATCH IT

But a second question to the websites states NO!

@emile.heilbron Sum tin wong with your two pictures, either you will need a ConnectClip or you won’t, not sure which one is correct!! :thinking:
But looking at the youtube reviews, it does seem that you will not need a ConnectClip around your neck for the two ways phone conversation to work on the S23. :thinking:

I read this to say; To ‘stream’ you do not need connect clip but to ‘talk to other phones’ you do. In other words, they are not hands free. Quite the disappointment.

Today is April 1st and it’s a joke

3 Likes

My understanding is that you need the connect clip unless your phone is capable of using LE Audio Bluetooth, in which case you can have hands free phone. LE Audio is presumably available once the Sampsung phone is updated to UI 6.1. At least, I hope that is the case.

3 Likes