Oticon Intent user review

Agree that with Samsung S22, the streaming is much better. However, Samsung S22 is Bluebooth 5.2 and supports BLE, but LE audio does not work on it and no HFP either. Hate to invest in a new S23 or S24 for this purpose.

My partner came from the KS10s and now has the S24 and the EP 20s as well. She too needs the full hands-free experience. But because of the LE Audio issues she got the PhoneClip+.

What USB transmitter did you get? Did you need to disable the Bluetooth driver on your Windows 11 computer?

Those double domes they are often called power domes. And yes they should help streaming. It is what I have.

Maybe so, the ASHA protocol got better then…go figure. I am waiting too.

I have the M&RIE Receivers as well and they don’t seem to hurt streaming any at all.

If streaming bass boost in the fitting software does not help I don’t know what to tell you. I guess I’m having a considerably different experience.

The Auracast dongle is from MoerLab. Found it on Amazon. I did disable BT in my laptop. I am going to wait until Samsung figures out the problems before trying my Jabras again. The KS10s with fresh batteries are working better than ever. Then I will go back to the fitter and ask for bass boost in streaming

That’s not why, outside you don’t have surfaces for BT to reflect off [it just gets dispersed], it’s an issue with many BT devices [especially Low Energy ones]. It might sound crazy but some people wear hats with wide brim to help with this.

3 Likes

Tinfoil hats with the wide brim? :slight_smile:

You joke, but that’s what people actually do, they line the brim with tinfoil :grinning:

1 Like

I am trying them again. Streaming quality doesn’t seem to change when I turn LF audio on and off. I will see how phones calls do with LE audio off and have to use the phone mic.

That’s something I’ve never considered, but I guess it makes sense. You would think though with the importance that many of us place on blue tooth connectivity, that hearing aid and mobile phone manufacturers would work harder at improving the signal strength or receiving ability. Although I don’t own a pair I haven’t heard complaints about Apple’s Earpods having the same glitchy connection when outdoors. What do they do that works?

They don’t have batteries that last all day. So their power constraints aren’t the same.

WH

1 Like

What @WhiteHat said, and to add to that, they have more room to accommodate a larger BT antenna.

Aren’t earpods actually smaller volume wise than most HAs?
I think the issues stem from the fact that manufacturers don’t put enough importance on streaming.
Also, even if it doesn’t look like from the outside, we’re still dealing with slowly evolving legacy hardware designs when it comes to hearing devices.

Here’s some really useless facts I found, just to keep the thread going.

https://www.howtogeek.com/why-is-it-called-bluetooth/?utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=HTG-202404281500&utm_source=HTG-NL&user=aWtreTA3QGhvdG1haWwuY29t&lctg=7b788fac5db4698ac4d7bc63123831d92f4aae7ef56f544763b69641c2592d51

Life was simpler when the option was to increase volume when I wanted to hear better.
The way my hearing aids were set up auto 4.0 didn’t help. It didn’t work because of mistakes made.

I quoted you up to the word “stem”, because it appears that’s where the antenna lives:

That’s from the ifixit teardown.

1 Like

And DIYers can guess and set an ACT value so that Genie 2 can guess and set the MoreSound Intelligence values. As you may have noticed, if an ACT value is supplied in Personalization, the questionnaire part of Personalization is disabled.

I am trialing the Oticon Intent 1. So far, so good. I will post my first impressions in a couple of days. Something I noted (sorry if I missed this) is that the Companion App now has two EQ options: “sound equalizer” and “streaming equalizer”. Sound EQ applies to ambient sound and has a range of ± 6 dB for Low, Mid, and High., while the streaming EQ ranges from -12 to + 6 dB.

Although late to the game, it is a very welcoming move from Oticon. I tried the sound equalizer while playing my acoustic guitar, and it is effective, to the point where I think it could help improve the overall experience for some of us having problems with music.

Sound EQ

Streaming EQ

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t know about the Sound Equalizer (I knew about the streaming equalizer), so that’s a new breath of fresh air to have in the Companion app like you said.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. Missed this in the latest update. I can confirm it also works on the Real 1’s.

1 Like

Thank you for the good review. Please update as soon as you have experience in a noisy environment. Was the background noise suppressed at all? How was speech? Thank you in advance.

1 Like

I have been trialling the Oticon Intents (and chose them). The speech in noise is noticeably better for me than ReSound Nexias or Phonak Lumitys. Background noise is still present but the voices of people I was speaking with were much clearer. I used them in some challenging environments where I have always had issues in the past and my speech comprehension was much improved.

1 Like