Oticon Hearing Aids shutting down and restart

We’ve had a couple of those come into the clinic. Oticon pinpointed an issue with the battery door, where there is not sufficient continual airflow into the Zinc-air battery over time, causing the aid to switch off. When the battery gets some more air it restarts. They simply changed the battery door and the issue was resolved. You can try brushing around the battery door and hearing aid casing (where the battery door fits) as any oily residue there will impeded airflow to the battery). This issue does not apply to Lithium-Ion hearing aids though.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this @christo. It makes a lot of sense that the Zinc-air battery would need air to operate properly. I wonder, though, how having a battery door design that allows air flow into the Zinc-air battery is consistent with the IP-68 rating of the OPN. I guess the IP-68 rating shouldn’t be taken seriously, then.

1 Like

Seems I read electronic coatings had more to do with the rating than the integrity of a battery door.
Just mentioning something I read.

2 Likes

Good morning, I actually as of yesterday started cleaning the battery area :blush:

There’s no way I can tell if it has worked the only way I can tell is if they shut down.

That makes a lot of sense. In fact all the advice everyone has given me I’m taking it to my audiologist appointment for my 6 months checkup on Monday. Maybe there’s something she doesn’t realize.