Oticon Geno - one step back?

Oticon released a new hearing aid line - Geno. But no any quantum leap again. Even no Velox platform used, but Streamer Pro returned back… Why? Is it a crisis in hearing aids industry? https://www.oticon.global/professionals/products/hearing-aids/geno

I wonder if it’s like the Siya line? Some kind of low level low cost line?

Yes, but the most interesting is not this, but the fact that they are made on the previous platform - not Velox, but maybe Inium Sense. NEW product line is an continuation of OLD product line Alta-Nera-Ria… very strange!

Could this be a new low cost model to compete with the fact that cheaper devices can now be called Hearing Aids?

1 Like

I don’t think starting a new line using the old platform is that weird. Maybe the supply chain for the old platform is already all established and much cheaper to produce than the new platform.

If their OPN line is selling well, they may not want to take a bite out of that volume for use on something that will generate much less revenue for them.

I agree. I was hoping that Oticon release super-power model based on Velox platform in this year. But no, here is a cheap old Inium Sense line… PROGRESS, okay.

I think this is just a “value” line that Oticon have pushed out.

I know that there has been speculation that Oticon should be bringing out a new platform in 2019, so we should be seeing something from them this year - perhaps around EUHA 2019.

In the meantime, somebody wrote a research article (appeared yesterday) that seems to reveal what Oticon are working on - probably too soon for the current generation of hearing aids, but when computational power increases, this looks hopeful:

I see this article here http://www.hearingreview.com/2019/01/new-algorithm-may-help-hearing-aid-users-take-active-conversational-role/ Agree about basic level of hearing aids, but why move to simple level istead of more advanced? I have pair of Oticon Dynamo, and I struggle with speech in noise. I’m very glad to see these links and articles, and stories of other Opn users. But all of superpower hearing aid users have not these possibilities. We are in last line always.

It’s the same for BTE and custom hearing aids. RIC comes first, and then BTE and custom tends to follow 6 to 12 months later. Of course, you are probably right in saying that superpower comes after that and sometimes not at all. It’s frustrating I know. I do not know why there are delays in pushing out to different form factors. Maybe it has to happen that way because the release to RIC has to be proven first, and the amount of work in designing the new hearing aids and porting the latest chip set + algorithms to them.

I am frustrated because so much of the industry is concentrating on universal bluetooth capabililty. This is necessary to bring in the money, but it’s frustrating because it’s not the holy grail - that is in my view speech in noise and audibility in all situations. Atfer all, if you can hear a TV, mobile phone etc, why would you need bluetooth so badly? The only thing we can hope for is that as more units are sold, more R&D gets allocated to the type of research seen in the articles.

That sounds similar to what my KS8 Rexton aids are trying to do.
At times I miss the first word of a conversation. Sometimes the first word is needed for context, especially from SWMBO (She who Must be Obeyed). :frowning:

“[blank] is now on sale at this store. You may want to check it out.” What is the blank?? :anguished:

1 Like

Mine has more blanks! :joy:

1 Like

It looks like they are about the same as the OPN but without the MFI and more than likely some of the other features too.

that’s one good line! (might be worth down on the list then again, I may head for the 105 anyways)