Oticon fitting rationale

From my experience they would have to be molded

When I was fitted with a pair of Rexton CIC at Costco, I complained about one of them not being tight enough, although itā€™s not that loose. The Costco fitter took it to her desk and put on some kind of clear acrylic layer right on top of the shell. Then she sanded it out to make it more smooth.

Perhaps your fitter can employ this approach as well if so equipped. But if your hearing aids are still well within the warranty or fitting period, itā€™s probably better to have them rebuild a new mold, and this time give them instruction to make it more snug by telling them that the previous one was a little loose.

3 Likes

I tried all brands and finally bought the new Oticon. In restaurants or noisy groups Iā€™m completely lost. The background noise cancels out voices. My loss is 65%and Iā€™m wondering if the person that was completely happy with their had only a minor hearing loss.
Thanks for your help,
Shirley

Iā€™ve found that how well I hear in noise depends on how much/often I am in similar noisy situations. I wear iic HAs which by definition donā€™t function in noise as well as RICs (at least for oticon [1]). When starting out I visited my audi every two weeks for a few months. Now 8 months later Iā€™ve done 3 sessions to fine tune female soft voices so I can understand my teenage daughter. I am extremely satisfied with the results.

[1]

If ā€œin a barrel feelingā€ my aud says you need more ventilation (when Iā€™ve gone to him with that issue on new molds.) not sure of all the technical terms you use here, though.

My Oticons definitely picked up everything! Thatā€™s the whole concept of Opn. But it sounds like you need a directional setting that you can turn "everything from beside and behind you " down. I wear Phonakā€™s now and they are always directional (only pick up in front of me). I needed this for my workā€™s huge HVAC instakes that blast noise from above. No matter the setting, My Oticons picked all that up real bad. While it may work for you in a restaurant, it didnā€™t work for me in my warehouse work space. Listening conditions matter greatly for how your aids should be set for you!

1 Like

@Volusiano thank you for mentioning the acrylic layer. My audi referred me to the local oticon service center. They applied additional layers and the fitting is now much better. It had a significant effect on the accoustics and speech in noise is also better. again, thanks!