Oticon Delta etc. v. Phonak Micro Savia, etc

Open ear digital hearing aids have now been around long enough for users to have gained actual experience working with different models employing the two general technolgies : speaker in the ear type v. receiver on top of the ear type.

My concerns deal with fit, performance and maintenence costs.

Would you please share your experiences with me? My first reaction is that the speaker in the ear type is more likely to break down and need more expensive replacement parts. Am I correct?

Anything you could do to help me make a more informed decision on how to narrow my search would be greatly appreciated.

Mal

My experience with receiver in the ear with Phonak Micro Savia ART and also the Micro Power’s have been very good. In fact, if a receiver fails, which I have had only once, we just attatch a new on and we don’t even have to send it for repair.

Even if it out of warranty, the receiver is only like $70 or so. Thus, long term, receiver in the ear may be more cost effective. I think the quality of the sound is better and also we can fit a little more severe losses, especially in the low tones better.

With Vivatone instruments, I have never had a receiver failure…had quite a few that failed due to moisture into the instrument itself but not receiver failures.

Thus, I really don’t feel there is much difference in repair rates either way. Thus decisions should be made based on sound quality, comfort and audibility.

Thanks for the info. Since it comes down to sound quality, comfort and audibility, why have the hearing aid manufacturers come up with these two different designs? There must be a difference between placing a component in the ear canal v. placing a component-free tube in the same place. Since moisture is so destructive of hearing aid integrity, it would seem logical that placing all the components outside the ear would make the most sense in terms of hearing aid longevity. And yet, we have these two different approaches to the design of an open ear hearing aid. Your thoughts, please.

(My first post, after reading most helpful accounts.:smiley: )
Do you find that you need an on/off switch, with aids such as Oticon Delta 6,000 that are permanently “on”?

You just open the battery door when you are not wearing it. That turns it off - and allows it to air out.

Hi all:
I have been using programmable analog hearing aids since 1999, the model is Beltone CSP-II. It works well for me. However, Beltone stopped producing it since December 2005. From March 2006, I have tried like 12 different digital hearing aids from various brands and models, medium to high end products. None of them can be comparable to the CSP-II. Anyone has any suggestions? Anyone knows any digital hearing aids that is loud and clear enough as programmable analog? Any one know any digital HA can be adjusted to sound like analog.

Please reply to me since I am almost give up and very depressed about this.

Thanks