Oticon Delta 8000 for SSHL

Hi there,

I’m new to this whole hearing loss thing. I recently (October 2007) suffered from SSHL in the left ear with severe hearing loss in the mid-range frequencies. Apparently, I can hear the highest and lowest frequencies just fine. I also have mild hearing loss in my right ear, but I may have always had this, who knows?

I also have tinnitus in my left ear which is annoying but not much else. It doesn’t keep me awake at night.

I am having the same problems as most people I guess. I read about problems in noisy environments, meetings, watching TV and yes, I do the whole 360 degree spin thing when I call a lift (where did that ding come from?).

After all sorts of treatments mostly involving steroids of one form or another it looks like I’m stuck with it. I’m not self-conscious enough to worry about letting people know that I have a hearing difficulty, but when I was recommended to try a hearing aid, I only thought of the ‘big banana’ or the ‘cockroach in the ear’ ones. I guess I am self-conscious enough to not want to wear one of those. I’m 38 and younger people don’t suffer hearing problems, right?

I nearly cried when I saw the Delta. So I have gone to be fitted and should have one ready for trial next week - a Delta 8000. But now I read through the forums, I see quite a bit about the Dot from GNResound.

Now that I have read through the forums a bit I have a number of questions and I hope someone can answer a few for me:

Has anyone tried both the Delta and the Dot and can give a comparison? Is one better for my type of hearing loss?

What the heck is datalogging? Is it some kind of download from the device?

Siemens and a few others talk quite a bit about feedback reduction and Oticon mention nothing. Am I likely to have feedback problems with this device?

Does anyone know when the Dot will be available in Australia?

I understand that a hearing aid may help alleviate the tinnitus. Does anyone have any personal experience with this?

Thanks for this great forum and the terriffic people here who post!

Danny in Sydney

Hi DannyB and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

To answer your questions:
The Delta is a 2006 technology much in need of an upgrade while the Dot is basically a 2008 technology and will outperform the Delta any day. The dot is also smaller than the Delta. The Dot will have better Feedback management than the Delta and both are designed for similar hearing loss configurations. So the the dot should fit a loss where Delta has been prescribed. The dot is currently available in AU. You might also want to consider Phonak’s Audeo IX Or Unitron Yuu Moxi, which has a bigger battery and also telecoil for use with bluetooth neckloops (to enable you to use your hearing aids as a handsfree kit for your mobile phone).

I am a practicing Tinnitus retraining therapist/Audiologist and I often use open fit hearing aids such as the Delta, Epoq, Audeo, Unitron Moxi’s etc for tinnitus and it works very well in reducing tinnitus perception while the device is being worn.

Datalogging is of more use to the aud than to the user and it records things like usage time, volume control alterations, program changes etc to help troubleshoot fine tuning issues. The benefit to the user is that the aud might be able to idenitfy possible usage/setting issues quicker with dalalogging. Most modern hearing aids have datalogging, but the latest devices have datalearning where the device learns your preferred settings by the volume changes you make in various situations and then appiles these changes next time you are in a similar situation. Some devices such as the Yuu Moxi also has a clarity/comfort control where you can teach it how much noise reduction vs speech clarity (speech enhancement) you’d like in various situations.

Siemens probably specifically mentions feedback management as they are the aids with most feedback issues. I must admit I am a bit biased and don’t like Siemens much.

Hope this answers your questions, please feel free to ask for clarification if required.

i agree 100% delta needs an upgrade, but again Delta was introduce a bit ago. It is not hard to imagine that Oticon will put a epoq chip on a delta casing and launch a delta wireless or a delta plus…
I would say for my money I would prefer a Dot…

But I would largely prefer a vigo pro over a delta any day…
While I to do not like siemens, It is a fact that they are #1 company
in terms of market share…

Thank you very much, Hearnow. That is tremendous assistance. I really appreciate the time and effort you went to to put together that response for me. I’m learning so much just being here.

I’m scheduled to trial the delta, but I will ask about the Dot next week.

Thank you once again.

Danny in Sydney

Thank you too, Xbulder. I must have been typing my reply whilst you were typing yours! This forum clearly has some great people.

Danny in Sydney

Hi DannyB,

Let us know how you found the devices and which you prefer once you’ve tried both.

[quote=hearnow]Hi DannyB and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

To answer your questions:

I am a practicing Tinnitus retraining therapist/Audiologist and I often use open fit hearing aids such as the Delta, Epoq, Audeo, Unitron Moxi’s etc for tinnitus and it works very well in reducing tinnitus perception while the device is being worn.

I have tinnitus and am considering trying the Moxi Yuu. I have previously tried Delta and a number of others, but have not noticed much relief for tinnitus.

Do you do anything unique in programming? Does the relief occur instantly or over time?

Hi Pman,

The first thing to do is to have tinnitus matching performed to see at what frequency and intensity your tinnitus occurs. Secondly the aids need to be programmed using REM to match your hearing loss with particular emphasis on the dominant tinnitus frequency (very often around 6Khz). This requires a device capable of amplifying these high frequencies. If you have good low frequency hearing then the device MUST be completely open fit as any occlusion could actually make your tinnitus perception worse. If you have a low frequency hearing loss then the venting should be as large as possible while still allowing low frequency amplification. Very often additional gain of soft sounds in the tinnitus frequency range is useful. A hearing aid with a low compression kneepoint tends to perform better than one with a higher kneepoint. I really like the Unitron Moxi range as the speech enhancement (clarity/comfort) feature tends to do exactly what is needed to reduce tinnitus - i.e boost high frequency soft sounds. Lastly no hearing aid will reduce tinnitus if there is nothing to amplify - so the best advice I can give you is to AVOID SILENCE - i.e always have soft music or background noise playing for the aid to amplify. Tinnitus counseling also helps to take your focus away from the tinnitus and reduced the emotional impact of the tinnitus which allows you to habituate with time.

if youhave tinitus, it might be good to consider an instrument with
an extendet bandwith, perhaps something even close to 10,000hz
out the top of my head im thinking passion and epoq
but im sure there are others

I am a first time ha user as well and had a lot of the same concerns. I have a Widex Passion and I am very pleased (see my comments on:

http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=1862 )

I considered the Delta, a good friend has them, and the Dot. The Passion is very small has greater freq range, lower distortion, and important for me better battery life. So far so good. Good luck, George

Hi guys,

Well, I’m back and I got my Delta today. It took a little bit because of scheduling difficulties and we had a public holiday, but I have it. First off, no-one noticed that I was wearing an aid - this is a major requirement for me. Say what you like about vanity, but I would rather put up with my problem than wear the ‘big banana’.

We fiddled and faddled for an hour with the software and came up with a reasonable profile. The major issue was that I felt like someone had put an old-fashioned metal garbage can over my head. But I could hear more stuff out of my left ear and that was good. My hearing loss is minor in the very low range (around 500Hz I think) then it plummets to like nothing before climbing back up at the high freqs. Unfortunately, it seems like the loss is so bad in the middle freqs that the distortion means if I block my ‘good’ ear I can hear words, just can’t understand them.

After a bit more fiddling and trying some different speaker moulds I have agreed to give it a go for a week and see what happens.

Tonight was a big test for me. I had a board meeting then dinner. Last month, same arrangement and same location and I was exasperated - I couldn’t hear anyone over the ambient noise and I was so frustrated I wanted to cry.

Tonight was completely different. Whilst I am nowhere near 100% I could identify speech much better and I wasn’t yelling (I have hearing loss so I yell, go figure). I think this is a major breakthrough for me.

I caught a train and walked through the wind and the device really didn’t reflect any of that - I was very impressed. I figured that a lot of the noise cancelling/compensation technology I have been reading about would have been a lot of marketing hype. But trains, buses, wind, trucks, etc. didn’t upset it. Very very nice.

My audio is ordering me a Dot to try out as well so I can compare them. She has agreed to just keep testing stuff until I’m completely happy, which is great. It seems you were right, hearnow, pretty much everything is available here.

I’m using a dome fitting and I have a mould which I have left at the audios. I’m still a little stuck on which fitting I feel like I should be using and whether I should ask her to turn up the high freqs, middle, low, etc. It’s difficult in a contrived environment, I really feel like we should be fitting the devices and programming them on the main road with the buses and trucks. I think this is the hardest part - I want to give quality feedback to the audio so she can do the programming properly, but I don’t know what to tell her.

Thanks again, everyone for all your support and I’ll keep you posted with my findings. I’m going to watch Stephen Colbert now with my hearing aid in for the first time to see what volume I can have the TV at…

Danny in Sydney.

if you like Delta, you will love eiter vigo pro (should be same price or even cheaper)… if you can afford a few dollars more-- get epoq V

With regard to vanity, I learned a long time ago that I could wear a “big banana” and no one except other hearing aid wearers notice. But everyone notices you saying huh or what constantly, and may get irritated by it.

Thanks, XB for that. If I understand the website correctly, this is a considerably bigger unit than the Delta. I just wouldn’t wear it.

JM2, I take your point. I have short hair and wear glasses and I think a big banana would be a major turn off for me. You are right about saying ‘huh’ a lot, but now that I have this, I really notice a LOT of people doing the neck-crane and asking people to repeat themselves…you gotta wonder how many people walk around with an element of hearing loss and do nothing about it!

Danny.

you are right, if you are not willing to make a sacrifice in terms of
size then delta is the aid (if oticon is the brand)…
If not, I would say dot 30 is a strong option… (I prefer to fit delta 8000)

Hi all,

Apologies for the delay in reporting back on my trial of both the Delta and the Dot.

My audio ordered a Dot 30 for me to try against the Delta 8000 and also spent quite a bit of time programming it. We fiddled quite a bit because it seems like programming the Dot with similar settings to the Delta gave me a completely different experience. The Dot was definitely louder (I had asked for the Delta to be turned down when I first got it) and all I could say at the time was that the Dot was different to the Delta. We ended up programming a profile similar to the Delta, but softer. Her comment was “we shouldn’t try to make the Dot into a Delta, because it’s not”. So the curve wasn’t quite the same, but it was the closest I felt to being usable.

I also asked her to turn the volume up on the Delta (reasonably uniformly, not just in one frequency range).

My audio kindly allowed me to take both the Dot and Delta home and try both. I also had the mould and dome fittings.

I wore the Dot out of the audio’s office and passed by the same street again - trucks, wind, buses etc. This time the sensation was uncomfortable - the ‘sudden’ noises were too loud to be comfortable. I persisted for a while, then on the train I swapped the units and put the Delta back on.

When I got home I put the Dot back on. Then my wife got home, went to the cupboard and grabbed a plate. I nearly jumped out of my skin - the clanging noise was way too uncomfortable. I put the Dot back in the box and left it there.

Yesterday I went back to the Audio and we played around with the Dot some more. I told her about my problems and she explained compression to me (how the unit manages sudden sounds). We fiddled and fiddled and tried every setting on the unit. In the end I handed it back to her and asked her to return it.

My experience may be quite different to others. It would seem like hearing aids are quite different and one isn’t necessarily “better” than another. Horses-for-courses and it seems like the Delta just gives me more comfort and better performance for my type of loss.

I will be asking about the new Widex when I see her next.

One thing I can say, although the aid is expensive ($A4,000 for one unit), yes I could have ordered it online but how the heck would you ever be able to get the level of service that you can get from a face-to-face consult with an audiologist? To me my audio is the difference between participating and not participating in my world. I can ask questions and get advice and we can make a dozen setting changes in one session. I couldn’t do that by mail or Fedex.

For me the difference in price is worth it.

I hope a few newbies like me find this useful.

Danny in Sydney.