Oticon app update soon?

Talked with audiologist yesterday about how I think Oticon needs to do better/more with the app - she thought Oticon app had bass/treble functions… nope … but she did say that Oticon is working on an update to the app - she made it sound it might be out soon… I told her that maybe they’ll wait until iOS 14 comes out (?Sept?) … who knows… BUT out of curiosity, I looked at th app in app store (Apple) and I noticed this screen … never saw this - anyone know what this is? Is it something for tinnitus support? This looks to be the sort of thing that would help if we wanted to make some minor tweaks - but app still shows last update 3 months ago… https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQpgzcK8p6qfCfmG7
forgot to menion - talked with audiologist about how I think Oticon needs to do better/more with the app - she thought Oticon app had bass/treble functions… nope … but she did say that Oticon is working on an update to the app - she made it sound it might be out soon… I told her that maybe they’ll wait until iOS 14 comes out (?Sept?) … who knows… BUT out of curiosity, I looked at th app in app store (Apple) and I noticed this screen … never saw this - anyone know what this is? Is it something for tinnitus support? This looks to be the sort of thing that would help if we wanted to make some minor tweaks - but app still shows last update 3 months ago… https://photos.app.goo.gl/fQpgzcK8p6qfCfmG7

I know that about this time last year or I should say just after IOS14 came out that the ON app was updated to a completely new version. I am like you the ON app is not coming close to doing what I believe it should be able to do. And I was thinking that just maybe it would be updated again this year, I feel it will more thanly be about the first of October which will be after the IOS14 release.

1 Like

Yes the screen shot is of the tinnitus adjustments that can be made. My tinnitus program was removed accidentally when my Audi did the remote session with me. I will be going into the office on September the 2 so he can add it back in.

1 Like

I hope it works a lot better then the old one. It was the main reasons I got rid of the Oticon 1 S hearing aids. It be nice if they learn from other makers and add some of the nice features they have. It a shame as the make good hearing aids.

1 Like

Well for me the app is not a reason to like or dislike hearing aids. I live my OPNS aids and the ON app is just something for the ones that believe that stupid apps are all that counts. Well what counts is how good I can hear and understand speech.

1 Like

Agree that better hearing is the primary reason for hearing aid , but in this age of technology I think hearing aid companies should try to maximize things that the app can do - I’d like to have ability to do minor adjustments ; adjust default TV volume,etc …

I have a different thoughts I want my aids to give me the aid I need to hear and understand speech without the need to mess with them. And I am finding my OPNS1 aids are doing that over 95% of the time. I put them in in the morning and forget them most days. I can answer calls without worrying about he volume or if am going to be able to hear the other person

It was not the only reason it was the icing on the cake. They have a reputation for making great hearing aids. I feel it was a mismatch on several reasons. I had not gotten a new pair of hearing aids in over 10 years. I did not do my homework on hearing aids as I should. The hearing aids where recommend buy an audiologists who only sold one type. I got them and they never helped the hearing loss. I realize now that different hearing aids have a better ability to meet different hearing lose and like people hearing loss can be different. The main reason I gave up on them was that they never helped my hearing lose. No matter what the audiologists did they never helped the hearing loss. Add to that that they had to be sent back 6 times to be repaired and finally replaced in a year. I was very shocked and disappointed with all the problems and then add it to the app not working and it was more then I could stand. I changed audiologists and they did a very thoughtful and thorough evaluation. They tried five different brands and we finally found the right match. I also have severe to profound and profound in the other ear. Which is tricky to fit. I was lucky I had the opportunity to trade them in and get all my money back to use to get my new hearing aids. You are 100% correct that hearing aids are more then the app. They need to do their primary job to improve your hearing and meet your prescriptive goals. Unfortunately they failed to do that as well. Like I said I don’t blame Oticon I blame myself for not doing my homework. I have lots of friends who have them and love them. It unfortunately did not work for me. The pair I got now does what you say 99% of the time now.

1 Like

I don’t even use the Oticon ON app at all to control my OPN 1. I find I can do almost everything the app does from the iPhone directly, and/or from the hard buttons on my HA. If one really wants to tinker with the various settings like the audi can via the programming software Genie 2, then one should go with the DIY route and buy the hardware interface and do their own programming.

In this day and age of technology, it’s trivial for the HA mfg to give more control of the HA settings to the user through an app if that’s what they want. But if they don’t do it, it’s because they don’t want to and choose not to give too much controls to users, it’s not because they can’t. Sometimes HA parameters are too complicated that at the hands of a normal, non-tech-savvy and untrained user, they can muck things up pretty badly without knowing it.

So if you’re a sophisticated and savvy enough user, you’ll naturally figure things out and tend to take the DIY route anyway. But if you’re not inclined to want to go the DIY route, you probably should not have too many HA parameters at your disposable in the first place.

1 Like

I would love to be at that stage you are at… I’m beginning to think it’s either audiologist or maybe the Oticons aren’t for me and I need to try another brand…

Good points. But an audiologists can’t program for everything. There are times you need to make adjust and save the changes. I find it saves time when doing adjustments with an audiologists to show what changes you needed to make in what hearing situation. It makes it easier and quicker to get the adjustments done. It also offers the opportunity to share concerns with an audiologists using data. Helps everyone to be on the same page. In addition the app offers remote programming which was an asset when everything was closed down. My state is still in the process of opening up.

I had the same question. I tried a different audiologists that was okay with more then just oticons. Hearing loss is as different as people. Not all hearing aids treat all hearing loss the same. I was amazed at the difference in improvement to my hearing loss one brand had over another. But it is very important to find an audiologists that uses best practices like real ear measurements and verification that the hearing aids are working right. That way your hearing aids will maximize there assistance to help you hear better. You might what to switch audiologists and see if a new one can program them better especially if they didn’t use real ear measurements to confirm they where set right. There is a video on YouTube that explains real ear measurements great. Or do what I did and trade them in for a new brand maybe if you luck out like I did they will give you the full amount you paid back. Good luck…

For me I have been wearing hearing aids for 15 years, and for 10 years my aids have been Oticon aids. I love the sound and I have an Audi that has been willing to do what ever it takes to get my last two sets of aids to where I can understand speech. It takes patience and will power to stay the course to get the job done. It took 14 months of monthly appointments to figure out how to adjust my aids to my needs.

1 Like

I am happy for you that they work so well. I just don’t have that kinda time my job doesn’t allow for that.

2 Likes

You maybe right. It may also be you need more time. I would take them to another audiologists and see if they could get them to work better. If you are still in your trail period then return them and try something else. I have Starkey Livio Edges and they work great. To find an audiologists I asked starkey who they recommended. It was a good move they sent me to a great audiologists who fit the hearing aids perfectly. The technology and the hearing aids work very well. Good luck

1 Like

Yes I understand the time issues, I struggled my working life with understanding what was being said, I am retired so I have the time, but I am going to throw a curve ball at you. If I had taken the time that my employer was willing to give me to get my aids setup correctly I could have worked much longer and not have had to retire when I did. But then again I now feel that being forced to retire when I did was the best thing that ever happened to me.

1 Like

Right now in my profession I have to be careful. I have a few years before I can reach the age of retirement. So I have to balance my needs with my responsibilities to my family. That is way I choose to reset the situation. It worked out well in the end. Thank you for your feedback. I wish you continued success and happiness.

and I find work impossible if i couldnt communicate well.
It is so very important to me to understand conversation to be able to work.
Unable to understand conversation,I cannot work,so I have to invest time into sorting out hearing aids and getting decent happenings with them.
This time i have had appts since March,some cancelled cos of covid,and what a frustrating time since last Nov/Dec when my old aids malfunctioned when travelling,and struggled to follow conversation as one aid lost about 60 % capacity.Also visited 2 different audiologists- and all takes time.
(seems like a full time job in some ways),with covid interruptions & long waits to see audiologist at times due to build up of apts after lockdown \ covid.
Now I am trialing Oticon OpnS/and I have trialed Phonak Marvel some weeks ago.Not for me.I just hope this trial,which i just started,goes well.
I am so grateful that hearing aids exist!

They are a good hearing aid for some. But with the app and hearing aids breaking often they did not work for me. I have a set that works good for me now. I have severe to profound hearing loss in one ear and profound hearing in the other. It is hard enough to be blind and hearing impaired and get a job or to work. I need to take care not to loose too much time at work trying to get a pair of hearing aids that where not working for me to work. I always put on my hearing aids not quite sure what you are asking or saying. It maybe got lost in translation as I read Braille. It would be like leaving the house without my cane. Just not a smart thing to do. It would make for a hard day and a dangerous day. I am grateful to have the technology and education to be independent and raise a family. I do expect technology to work the right way or why have that goes for Braille and screen readers as well as hearing aids. That is the bottom line.

1 Like