Oticon Announces Oticon Intent™, the World’s First Hearing Aid with User-Intent Sensors

Oh for sure! The same thing happened in cinemas. They added some mist sprays and smells and call it 6D or 7D.
Who knows, maybe the next next gen will add smell-o-sensor, for… for something… I’m sure their marketing team will figure that one out.
insert fart joke

You can check out the DIY section of this forum to try to get the software to download and use it. You’ll need to buy a NoahLink Wireless hardware interface as well, they run for under $200.

You don’t post your audiogram with your profile so it’s hard to say how helpful the Intent would be for you if you’re severe to profoundly hard of hearing. Sometime a miniRITE hearing aids may not be strong enough and you might need to go to an Ultra Power type hearing aid. I assume that your HCP has already outfitted you with the biggest receivers available for the Intent. But sometimes that’s still not strong enough, depending on your hearing loss. So don’t be so quick to judge your HCP as not knowing what they’re doing, although if they’ve determined that the Intent should be adequately strong enough for you and now it turns out it’s not, then indeed they would bear some of the fault in outfitting you with inadequately strong enough aids for your hearing loss.

2 Likes

Here is my audiogram

the old audiogram
audiograma

Generally, people with severe low frequency loss like yours (to profound in mid and high) don’t have enough margin left in their hearing dynamic range to do well when there are too many sounds competing with each other, because strong amplification is needed for almost all sounds, so there’s no room to convey volume nuances between them to help you discern the sounds from each other, which is a crucial criteria to allow your brain to do the filtering between them to help you focus on what you want to hear and ignore what you don’t want to hear. Otherwise, you’re kinda forced to have to hear everything loudly at the same volume. The audibility nuances of low and mid frequency components of the sounds are vital for this ability to sort out the sounds.

If you’re still on trial period with the Oticon Intent, I’d suggest that you might want to try something else like the new Phonak Sphere hearing aids. That’s because the open paradigm embraced by Oticon to let all sounds in might not be as suitable for your type of hearing loss for the reason I explained above. Phonak does not subscribe to the open paradigm like Oticon does and can be more aggressive in filtering more sounds to give you a better speech priority compared to Oticon.

If you’re already pass the trial period with the Intent 1, sure, you can try to DIY to see if you can get better results than your HCP can or not, but be careful and keep the original settings to come back to it as the starting point if your experiments go down the wrong paths. You can play around with the Neural Noise Suppression values, the environmental configurations, and the Directionality Settings (with the Fully Directional value) to see if they help. There’s also a Fitting Assistant functionality available in Genie 2 where you can opt to answer a number of questions and the Fitting Assistant will adjust the settings based on your answers for you.

3 Likes

Yes. I’ve had that experience too.

Our hearing gear is medical equipment. How can medical gear be supplied in such a way that so many people using it can’t hear in difficult environments?

Welcome back! I used to belong to this forum way back too.