Oticon Alta Pro Whistling and TV Streamer Problems

My new Oticon Alta Pro Mini Rite 85s with open domes from the VA are whistling far too often. Is this caused by a technology problem or could it be the domes? They whistle even louder and more often with the TV streamer. In addition, streaming from the TV using TV 2.0 and Streamer Pro 1.2 the sound is extremely tinny. When I put my finger in my ear using the HA while streaming, the sound is much warmer and acceptable. Is this also a dome problem? When I use my hearing aids for any other situation, the sound is extremely good, not at all tinny and when I place my fingers in my ears the sound does not change at all. If I get different domes will this affect the sound throughout? I may try the single vent and double vent domes. Should I try the mini fit grip tips too?

Finally is there any way the audiologist can adjust the HAs or the streamer otherwise that will fix these problems?

I have checked the TV connection using headphones, etc., and it is perfectly good.

My next audiology appointment is in 30 days and I would like to do something on my own. At my fitting appointment my audiologist seemed to have only open domes and mini fit grips tips so if I try the others on my own it may speed up the process.

right: 50 50 55 55 60 80 90 90
left: 40 40 45 50 55 60 85 85

I am not an expert in open dome fitting but this is my own opinion. Based on your audiogram your domes may be leaking sound while using your streamer. You may be a good candidate for custom molds with mild venting for minimizing occlusion. Just a thought mind you.

The whistling is feedback. It’s caused by sound leaking out of your ear canal, which is then re-amplified by the hearing aid. Open domes are not recommended for your level of hearing loss. The software actually suggests bass dome with single vent for your right ear, and bass dome with double vent for your left ear. You can physically change the domes yourself, but that’s not enough. Your audi needs to specify the new domes in the software, otherwise the hearing aid won’t apply enough gain in the low frequencies to compensate for the loss of natural sound that you get with open domes. The grip tips are only needed if your domes are slipping out of your ear canals.

Will the dome change also fix the other problem I am having with the TV 2.0 and Streamer Pro 1.2? In addition to the feedback, the sound through the hearing aids is extremely tinny.

— Updated —

A tinny sound is usually caused by too much high frequency gain. There’s a Fuller vs. Brighter adjustment in the Streamer Pro settings which can reduce the HF gain by up to 6 dB.

you really need the Mini Rite 100’s with custom molds.

The audiologist just said she would order the 85s. I did not ask any questions, especially since In this case I would not have known what to ask. I was just concerned that these would be better than my previous hearing aids.

These were my second pair from the VA. I previously had returned a pair of Phonak Naidas after close to six months, no feedback, good TV streaming, but they distorted badly listening to recorded and live classical music, even after a Phonak rep made many suggestions. Apparently the problem was with Whistleblock.

My next appointment is in four weeks.

— Updated —

I was not aware of this nor do I find mention of it in the Owner’s manual for the Streamer Pro. Any more clues? Input from the Connectline TV adapter is high frequency biased. I suppose we could create a program in the Alta Pro but in the interest of simplicity the notion of de-emphasizing highs in the Streamer Pro is appealing.

This isn’t something you can adjust yourself on the Streamer Pro. Your audi has to do it using the fitting software.

Thank you for the information. I will make a note to follow up.

Eh, not so sure I’d go with 100s with that loss, it’d probably be overkill so I’d stick with 85s. I think the bass domes are going to solve most of the OP’s issues, but custom molds are also an option.

look at his numbers he’s already over 85 in one ear and 85 in the other… driving the aids so hard is part of his feedback issue and with those numbers just bite bullet and get customs molds and be done with it. he will have better results and be more comfortable in the molds.

— Updated —

look at his numbers he’s already over 85 in one ear and 85 in the other… driving the aids so hard is part of his feedback issue and with those numbers just bite bullet and get customs molds and be done with it. he will have better results and be more comfortable in the molds.

[quote=Doc Jake;112063]look at his numbers he’s already over 85 in one ear and 85 in the other… driving the aids so hard is part of his feedback issue and with those numbers just bite bullet and get customs molds and be done with it. he will have better results and be more comfortable in the molds.

— Updated —

Are the custom molds for my oticon alta pro mini rites that are supplied by the VA easily removable by the user? I want to be able to change the wax guards, etc., by myself.

By the way, the feedback I have is not caused by resonance from outside sounds. It usually occurs when I get too close to a wall, a high backed chair, or just touch my hair too close to the hearing aid. Further, it is much louder when using the TV streamer.

— Updated —

— Updated —

IMO, the VA will make you custom molds. the wax guards would be removable w/o pulling the molds off the receivers. feed-back is the sound escaping and being picked up by the microphones on the hearing aids. the 85 level receivers are already at the edge of being strong enough for you. ask the VA AuD to try the 100’s with custom molds. you s/b able to keep what you have until they come in. once you switch receivers which is about a minute apiece each. the AuD will need to reprogram the aids. the slot for your TV should have more bass added and some of the high removed. putting your fingers over your ear is basically simulating a custom mold.

check out page 7 and 8

— Updated —

IMO, the VA will make you custom molds. the wax guards would be removable w/o pulling the molds off the receivers. feed-back is the sound escaping and being picked up by the microphones on the hearing aids. the 85 level receivers are already at the edge of being strong enough for you. ask the VA AuD to try the 100’s with custom molds. you s/b able to keep what you have until they come in. once you switch receivers which is about a minute apiece each. the AuD will need to reprogram the aids. the slot for your TV should have more bass added and some of the high removed. putting your fingers over your ear is basically simulating a custom mold.

check out page 7 and 8